Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
In retrospect: SAHM vs. Working out of the home
Previous  1  2

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 9:05 am
Working mom, because of finances
I wish I could have been there more for my kids
But OTOH because I worked we could afford cleaning help, and I was terrible at keeping house. So at least 3x a week, which is a lot, my kids came home to a clean home. They weren't embarrassed to bring friends over. I could afford tuition and put some money away. Because of this I'm able to help them now financially and physically. Now I'm retired I can visit and help them when ever I want.

BrachaC

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 11:28 am
I am sort of in the trenches right now with kids from 3-16, but one thing I find interesting is that in almost all of these conversations there is an element of incrementalism- if that's a word. The idea that people make choices to work full time or more than full time. We bH are at the point where we could potentially afford for me to cut back a bit- if the number of hours I work were in direct proportion to the amount of money I make. But it doesn't work that way, a part time job in my field would not make half the amount of money I make, I would make far less! And we couldn't afford that kind of pay cut. So people keep their well-paying but demanding jobs and do the more expensive things like hire cleaning help, buy easier foods to cook, and clothing at easy places to make up for the time they don't have. Could people identify the scenarios where people really have the choice?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics