Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
14 yr old dd gift

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 6:58 am
What can I buy my dd for her birthday? Any ideas?

imasinger

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 8:21 am
By age 14, you can't usually find a one-size-fits-all-according-to-her-age type gift.

What are her interests? Some kids enjoy a day of shopping, with the opportunity to pick one thing up to a certain amount of money. Some kids enjoy a gift certificate to Amazon or to a store. Some kids like jewelry; some, books; some, a needed item for a hobby or interest.

Can you ask her what she might like?

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 8:59 am
My DD keeps a year round wish list, and over time adds or subtracts things as her interests change. By the time her birthday is coming up, she has suggestions to send out to all of her relatives, and they either combine money or decide among themselves who is going to buy what. She never knows if she is going to get anything for sure, or who is going to give it to her, so it's still a surprise.

She really likes control, so I give her cash and take her shopping. She has to make decisions, be responsible, figure out what she can afford, and how much change she has leftover. It's very educational for her. She struggles with both impulse control and math, so while she has "fun", she's actually learning. Wink

Gift cards and buying online do not have the same impact on her, because it doesn't feel "real". There's something about seeing the cash in your hands dwindle that is more effective. She also really appreciates the one on one mommy time with me.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 1:52 pm
Thanx. What's a reasonable amount to allow her to spend?

MitzadSheini

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 3:22 am
amother wrote:
Thanx. What's a reasonable amount to allow her to spend?

Op... It's really hard to say because-

We don't know your income or expenditures, or how many of kids you have, or where you live or how much things cost there, or to what extent gifts are your or her love language.

Trust your gut. You WILL make the correct decision.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 11:51 pm
I have 4 kids kaH and live in Passaic. Any more thoughts on price that's reasonable?

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Jun 13 2016, 10:17 pm
Bump

MitzadSheini

Post Mon, Jun 13 2016, 10:30 pm
I'm going out of a limb here (and bracing myself for the branch to fall and for me to hit my head on the ground)-

Why don't you trust you gut to make the right decision? It is you, DD, or the relationship?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics