Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
The other teachers copy my work
1  2  Next

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 8:59 pm
I'm really frustrated with my coworkers the entire year and I'm trying to figure out if I can prevent this for next year. B'H I'm teaching a few years and am successful with my students academically and behaviorally. This past year there were a number of teachers that have been copying my ideas and work. I put a lot of time and effort into my sheets, booklets, rewards programs, behavior management, classroom setup, etc. I've spent countless hours making my classroom run smoothly and B'H it does. Especially since I make most of my sheets, it takes a lot of time. I also try to make my work as fun and cute for the kids as possible so my stuff always has a distinctive look.

Over this past year I would see the teachers looking at my class work in my box, look at it as it's being photocopied, they'd send students to see what we're doing (their students told me) ask me to see stuff I'm doing, or comment that they really like that idea, and a few days later they copy it very very similar, if not exactly. Some copy my management strategies, some exactly the same sheets, one teacher even copied my letter to the parents exactly! Many times this year my students would ask me how come this class copied that project, or how come that class did the same thing as us in that subject...

I know it sounds petty but there are many siblings in the school and if the kids end up going home with the same projects, same booklets, same notes, it looks unprofessional for both teachers. If I was doing some sort of teacher training and getting paid for my ideas, I wouldn't mind it. But, I'm not. I'm a teacher spending countless hours on my work and in a minute someone else copies it. These aren't first or second year teachers.

Is there anything I can do about this to prevent it from happening? I work with these teachers every day so I'm not looking to get anyone angry and I'm looking for a way to accomplish this without drama.
Thank you.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 9:03 pm
I remember from elementary school that some teachers wrote copyright or Issur hasagas gevul on all their papers.
I know that certain teachers that are in the school for years are paid for their papers so that the school could give it to the less experienced teacher to use.

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 9:06 pm
In my son's class many rebbeim write copyright with their name and phone number at the bottom of the sheets (in the footer). They all share - so I'll get hand outs from different rebeim or English teachers and you know who it originated from.

There really isn't too much you can do - Based on other things I know in America law I'm guessing if they change something slightly its allowed (like recipes).

And its a huge chessed. (not that you want to hear that)

Dandelion1

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 9:07 pm
Seems to me that once it's out there it's out there..... I could be wrong....

I have something similar where I work although on a lesser level....

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 9:15 pm
OP
My husband gave me the idea to write my name/watermark it and since I started to do that it seems like they don't photo copy it. Now I think they take home a copy/take a picture of it and make their own on their computer with their own name. Thanks for the responses.

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 9:26 pm
I worked really hard on my work but I never felt like anyone was taking something from me when they used it. As long as it was a teacher of a parallel class in the same grade, I disagree that it looks unprofessional if two classes happen to be doing the same project. It looks like collaboration, which is a wonderful thing and builds school spirit.

The only line I draw without hesitation is when a teacher from a younger age uses my content. Then I simply state that this is not okay with me because I'd like to use it next year. It is basically stealing and making me start from scratch next year.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 9:35 pm
It sounds like you're a good teacher. I do admire the effort that goes into that. I also have seen individuals with your skills help other teachers learn to teach better. I'm sorry you are resentful of their actions or efforts, but IMHO you would be a great mentor.

imasinger

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 9:38 pm
My first question is, what are your ultimate goals?

If your primary goal is to further your own reputation above all else, you might consider putting some kind of copyright note on your materials, something saying, "This worksheet/letter poster was designed by Lavendar, and is not for duplication or reuse in other classes."

If your primary goal is the success of each and every student, and you secondarily want credit from parents and administration, you could put on it, "please call and ask permission before using, and include my name as creator of this" and then share more freely. You could report regularly to parents and administration about the new things you create.

This way, you could benefit students in any class who would be more productive thanks to your work, and still allow you most of the credit.

ETA: Sorry, I see that a bunch of other posts came up while I was writing.

Once you have marked your original work, if you know for sure (have proof) that a teacher used your material without permission, I would (nicely) confront them. Word will probably spread quickly that when you say, "use with permission only," you really mean it.

Last edited by imasinger on Wed, Jun 08 2016, 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 9:39 pm
amother wrote:
I worked really hard on my work but I never felt like anyone was taking something from me when they used it. As long as it was a teacher of a parallel class in the same grade, I disagree that it looks unprofessional if two classes happen to be doing the same project. It looks like collaboration, which is a wonderful thing and builds school spirit.

The only line I draw without hesitation is when a teacher from a younger age uses my content. Then I simply state that this is not okay with me because I'd like to use it next year. It is basically stealing and making me start from scratch next year.

This is another one of my problems. We only have one class per grade (and I teach middle school) so it's mostly the younger grade teachers taking the stuff!

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 9:43 pm
imasinger wrote:
My first question is, what are your ultimate goals?

If your primary goal is to further your own reputation above all else, you might consider putting some kind of copyright note on your materials, something saying, "This worksheet/letter poster was designed by Lavendar, and is not for duplication or reuse in other classes."

If your primary goal is the success of each and every student, and you secondarily want credit from parents and administration, you could put on it, "please call and ask permission before using, and include my name as creator of this" and then share more freely. You could report regularly to parents and administration about the new things you create.

This way, you could benefit students in any class who would be more productive thanks to your work, and still allow you most of the credit.

Thank you, you've helped me see this in a little bit of a different light. I actually wouldn't mind if the teachers would ask if they could copy the ideas but not make it so obvious so that it looks exactly the same. I actually do share with the administration the sheets I do and get feedback (+ & -) on it, which I appreciate also. My goal is twofold, I do want all the children to succeed. That's why I'm a teacher! On the other hand I am trying to promote myself to possibly do teacher training someday.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 9:45 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
It sounds like you're a good teacher. I do admire the effort that goes into that. I also have seen individuals with your skills help other teachers learn to teach better. I'm sorry you are resentful of their actions or efforts, but IMHO you would be a great mentor.

I know I actually feel a little guilty for feeling this way. embarrassed
IYH hopefully one day I'd love to be a mentor.

imasinger

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 9:46 pm
Reposting what I added to my post, above, just in case...

ETA: Sorry, I see that a bunch of other posts came up while I was writing.

Once you have marked your original work, if you know for sure (have proof) that a teacher used your material without permission, I would (nicely) confront them. Word will probably spread quickly that when you say, "use with permission only," you really mean it.

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 10:22 pm
amother wrote:
This is another one of my problems. We only have one class per grade (and I teach middle school) so it's mostly the younger grade teachers taking the stuff!

I think you have the right to put your foot down about it.

You don't have to light yourself on fire to keep someone else warm. If it's the type of worksheet, project, or classroom system that would be silly if repeated after they had done it in a younger grade it is not okay for those teachers to use it. I would even enlist the principal's support in this.

It's not about not wanting to share, it's about actually being able to using your own material.

If it's the kind of thing that can be be reused I would advise them how to find a way to make it work for younger grade.

ValleyMom

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 10:49 pm
I know EXACTLY what you are talking about.
I have been teaching for many years (34) and It makes me NUTS when people use stuff that you labored over for hours and they simply make copies. Its SO annoying. I wish they would just acknowledge my work and THanK me then I would NOT be as irritated when I see some other class using my stuff.

WHY WHY WHY can't people simply ask: "Hey, that looks so amazing! Can I make copies for my class?"

Approach the teachers and ask them to SHARE copies of stuff that they make in their class so you can use some of their ideas.

OR
Get a copier and make your own copies at home and NEVER EVER copy anything at school. Do this for a few months until teachers start doing their own work and get out of the habit of copying your work.

Yes- it will cost money but then you won't have to worry about people swiping your ideas.

I actually got so frustrated I started buying stuff on Teachers Pay Teachers. That way I spent no time creating anything. I simply bought it online. THEN when people wanted copies I ask them to split the cost of the purchase.

YES- we teachers can be very petty but we spend so much time effort and energy making our classwork engaging and interesting for the students- I would love love love other teachers to do the same and then we can simply swap each others creative idea. I can't stand feeling like the only teachers who actually THINKS about what I present to the class.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 11:28 pm
ValleyMom wrote:
I know EXACTLY what you are talking about.
I have been teaching for many years (34) and It makes me NUTS when people use stuff that you labored over for hours and they simply make copies. Its SO annoying. I wish they would just acknowledge my work and THanK me then I would NOT be as irritated when I see some other class using my stuff.

WHY WHY WHY can't people simply ask: "Hey, that looks so amazing! Can I make copies for my class?"

Approach the teachers and ask them to SHARE copies of stuff that they make in their class so you can use some of their ideas.

OR
Get a copier and make your own copies at home and NEVER EVER copy anything at school. Do this for a few months until teachers start doing their own work and get out of the habit of copying your work.

Yes- it will cost money but then you won't have to worry about people swiping your ideas.

I actually got so frustrated I started buying stuff on Teachers Pay Teachers. That way I spent no time creating anything. I simply bought it online. THEN when people wanted copies I ask them to split the cost of the purchase.

YES- we teachers can be very petty but we spend so much time effort and energy making our classwork engaging and interesting for the students- I would love love love other teachers to do the same and then we can simply swap each others creative idea. I can't stand feeling like the only teachers who actually THINKS about what I present to the class.

Thank you!! Hooray

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 11:29 pm
amother wrote:
I think you have the right to put your foot down about it.

You don't have to light yourself on fire to keep someone else warm. If it's the type of worksheet, project, or classroom system that would be silly if repeated after they had done it in a younger grade it is not okay for those teachers to use it. I would even enlist the principal's support in this.

It's not about not wanting to share, it's about actually being able to using your own material.

If it's the kind of thing that can be be reused I would advise them how to find a way to make it work for younger grade.

You have great points. Thank you.

morah & mommy

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 12:31 am
My first year teaching second grade I had a really hard time, with preparation, sheets, discipline, incentives,... We also had just 1 class per grade and therefore had no parallel teacher to help me. The third grade teacher was so nice and gave me all her ideas, sheets (although we didn't teach the same things, so I changed them), you name it, and she was mamash a lifesaver! You might be helping someone immensely without even knowing it! (Although obviously stealing material without your knowledge is admittedly not the way to get help.)
My point is that you can offer fellow teachers ideas and sheets that you are comfortable sharing (not your trademark projects) and turn it into a situation where the attitude is you are helping them instead of them having to take it from you and then it will be on your terms. Hatzlacha rabba!

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 2:03 am
I totally understand how you feel. I worked so hard to develop a certain project and perfected it over the years. Next thing I know, another teacher from the other class decided it was a cute idea and made almost the identical project. I have no problem sharing the idea but sometimes it's stepping on your toes and is so frustrating. Or another time I made up a poem to go with something and another teacher used that same poem for their project that I felt was custom made for me. Once others start using it it's not original, or creative anymore. It's been there done that.

5*Mom

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 5:33 am
amother wrote:
On the other hand I am trying to promote myself to possibly do teacher training someday.

Maybe someday is today. When you notice another teacher admiring your stuff, you can mention that you offer training or mentoring or creative idea coaching services, or however you would want to phrase it and you'd love to share what you've learned over the years, and your fee is ... If you've been around long enough and you're good and you have something of value to offer, start offering it now.

The Happy Wife

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 8:29 am
amother wrote:

I know it sounds petty but there are many siblings in the school and if the kids end up going home with the same projects, same booklets, same notes, it looks unprofessional for both teachers. If I was doing some sort of teacher training and getting paid for my ideas, I wouldn't mind it. But, I'm not. I'm a teacher spending countless hours on my work and in a minute someone else copies it. These aren't first or second year teachers.

Is there anything I can do about this to prevent it from happening? I work with these teachers every day so I'm not looking to get anyone angry and I'm looking for a way to accomplish this without drama.
Thank you.

On the one hand, you're saying it looks unprofessional to have the parents see different teachers doing the same thing, but then you say you wouldn't mind if you were getting paid.

So it seems it's more a matter of wanting recognition for your work, which is understandable. If you were gettig paid it wouldn't look any less unprofessional. So keep watermarking your copies and have your name on it and you will get recognition. There's not much point in stewing over it. You can't really control what other people do, even though it's not nice to copy all your stuff without permission.
If someday you want to sell your teaching resources you might want to really copyright them. Then you say it's copyrighted and have more control over your stuff.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics