Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
The other teachers copy my work
Previous  1  2

watergirl

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 9:27 am
ValleyMom wrote:
I know EXACTLY what you are talking about.
I have been teaching for many years (34) and It makes me NUTS when people use stuff that you labored over for hours and they simply make copies. Its SO annoying. I wish they would just acknowledge my work and THanK me then I would NOT be as irritated when I see some other class using my stuff.

WHY WHY WHY can't people simply ask: "Hey, that looks so amazing! Can I make copies for my class?"

Approach the teachers and ask them to SHARE copies of stuff that they make in their class so you can use some of their ideas.

OR
Get a copier and make your own copies at home and NEVER EVER copy anything at school. Do this for a few months until teachers start doing their own work and get out of the habit of copying your work.

Yes- it will cost money but then you won't have to worry about people swiping your ideas.

I actually got so frustrated I started buying stuff on Teachers Pay Teachers. That way I spent no time creating anything. I simply bought it online. THEN when people wanted copies I ask them to split the cost of the purchase.

YES- we teachers can be very petty but we spend so much time effort and energy making our classwork engaging and interesting for the students- I would love love love other teachers to do the same and then we can simply swap each others creative idea. I can't stand feeling like the only teachers who actually THINKS about what I present to the class.

I was going to suggest that OP list her work on TPT - might as well make money off of it.

BUT - that wont solve the issue of teachers copying what she put on her bulletin boards, etc. It isn't realistic for her to somehow stop them from taking an idea for a project and such. Remember - not everything a teacher does in her classroom are handouts! Lesson plans, she can keep to herself, or tell her co-workers that she is trying to make an extra parnassa and has listed her lesson plans on TPT and direct them to the site. Usually the materials only cost a few dollars, its a worthy investment on the teachers part.

Its interesting. Years ago, I taught in a preschool where the veteran teachers were thrilled to share what they've created with the other teachers. All of our classrooms did similar things because of this, such as felt board presentations, etc. To encourage this, we had teacher in service days where each teacher had to bring something to share, and we spent the next hour or so duplicating it for our own rooms. Songs, felt boards, finger plays, even thematic units. But that was an environment set up that way - it was a collaborative teaching space. Parents became less insistent to have a particular teacher, they were just thrilled that we all cooperated and had such a positive work environment and trusted each of us. It was amazing.

I've taught in other schools where the teachers guarded their work - which I totally understand! But it was a tense environment and the teachers were not happy and did not feel like they received enough thanks for what they did in general. It was a miserable experience and a miserable work environment.

I think the difference is that in the first school that I described, each teacher was proud to present, and received the props and thanks that were due to her. Everyone knew where the idea came from - director included. The second school, no one watched out for anyone else, and people were just unhappy in general. So why share when you know that someone else will take the credit?

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 10:16 am
The Happy Wife wrote:
On the one hand, you're saying it looks unprofessional to have the parents see different teachers doing the same thing, but then you say you wouldn't mind if you were getting paid.

So it seems it's more a matter of wanting recognition for your work, which is understandable. If you were gettig paid it wouldn't look any less unprofessional. So keep watermarking your copies and have your name on it and you will get recognition. There's not much point in stewing over it. You can't really control what other people do, even though it's not nice to copy all your stuff without permission.
If someday you want to sell your teaching resources you might want to really copyright them. Then you say it's copyrighted and have more control over your stuff.

I meant if I were hired as a teacher trainer of some sort and getting paid for my ideas. Not for the teachers to copy exactly what I'm doing as I'm doing it so that the kids go home with the same note or booklet the same week.

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 10:20 am
watergirl wrote:
I was going to suggest that OP list her work on TPT - might as well make money off of it.

BUT - that wont solve the issue of teachers copying what she put on her bulletin boards, etc. It isn't realistic for her to somehow stop them from taking an idea for a project and such. Remember - not everything a teacher does in her classroom are handouts! Lesson plans, she can keep to herself, or tell her co-workers that she is trying to make an extra parnassa and has listed her lesson plans on TPT and direct them to the site. Usually the materials only cost a few dollars, its a worthy investment on the teachers part.

Its interesting. Years ago, I taught in a preschool where the veteran teachers were thrilled to share what they've created with the other teachers. All of our classrooms did similar things because of this, such as felt board presentations, etc. To encourage this, we had teacher in service days where each teacher had to bring something to share, and we spent the next hour or so duplicating it for our own rooms. Songs, felt boards, finger plays, even thematic units. But that was an environment set up that way - it was a collaborative teaching space. Parents became less insistent to have a particular teacher, they were just thrilled that we all cooperated and had such a positive work environment and trusted each of us. It was amazing.

I've taught in other schools where the teachers guarded their work - which I totally understand! But it was a tense environment and the teachers were not happy and did not feel like they received enough thanks for what they did in general. It was a miserable experience and a miserable work environment.

I think the difference is that in the first school that I described, each teacher was proud to present, and received the props and thanks that were due to her. Everyone knew where the idea came from - director included. The second school, no one watched out for anyone else, and people were just unhappy in general. So why share when you know that someone else will take the credit?

I definitely understand what you said. The last school I worked in was like the one you mentioned where all the teachers collaborated. I have to say I didn't mind it then at all. The other teachers had good ideas also and we all shared our resources. I never had an issue.

This school isn't like that. In this school the teachers are competitive, seriously. When I started working here I noticed right away that everyone was possessive of their own materials or ideas and no one was willing to share. That's why I was so surprised when the other teachers started to copy mine exactly! I also think these teachers are too proud to ask to use my stuff, they'd rather just take it and write their name on it.

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 10:23 am
5*Mom wrote:
Maybe someday is today. When you notice another teacher admiring your stuff, you can mention that you offer training or mentoring or creative idea coaching services, or however you would want to phrase it and you'd love to share what you've learned over the years, and your fee is ... If you've been around long enough and you're good and you have something of value to offer, start offering it now.

I like this idea but it wouldn't go over well in this school.

debsey

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 3:21 pm
amother wrote:
I'm really frustrated with my coworkers the entire year and I'm trying to figure out if I can prevent this for next year. B'H I'm teaching a few years and am successful with my students academically and behaviorally. This past year there were a number of teachers that have been copying my ideas and work. I put a lot of time and effort into my sheets, booklets, rewards programs, behavior management, classroom setup, etc. I've spent countless hours making my classroom run smoothly and B'H it does. Especially since I make most of my sheets, it takes a lot of time. I also try to make my work as fun and cute for the kids as possible so my stuff always has a distinctive look.

Over this past year I would see the teachers looking at my class work in my box, look at it as it's being photocopied, they'd send students to see what we're doing (their students told me) ask me to see stuff I'm doing, or comment that they really like that idea, and a few days later they copy it very very similar, if not exactly. Some copy my management strategies, some exactly the same sheets, one teacher even copied my letter to the parents exactly! Many times this year my students would ask me how come this class copied that project, or how come that class did the same thing as us in that subject...

I know it sounds petty but there are many siblings in the school and if the kids end up going home with the same projects, same booklets, same notes, it looks unprofessional for both teachers. If I was doing some sort of teacher training and getting paid for my ideas, I wouldn't mind it. But, I'm not. I'm a teacher spending countless hours on my work and in a minute someone else copies it. These aren't first or second year teachers.

Is there anything I can do about this to prevent it from happening? I work with these teachers every day so I'm not looking to get anyone angry and I'm looking for a way to accomplish this without drama.
Thank you.

Why not go in the opposite direction entirely? Sell your materials to Torah Umesorah or self-publish. When people ask, explain that it's your parnasah, but they're more than welcome to purchase it. Make sure to put a copyright symbol on every sheet, with a watermark. This way, if they do use it, it's clear that you never gave up your rights, and they will know they are doing something wrong, which might deter some people.
If you put your name on your stuff and you publish it, you will make a name for yourself, and eventually you may progress to a higher level position.

Miri7

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 3:32 pm
Can you approach the administration saying that you've noticed that several teachers are using your materials and that you'd like to offer mentoring/professional development to the teaching staff to help them develop materials for use in their own grade?

If you have developed effective Behavior management techniques then perhaps the school would benefit as a whole if you gave workshops and help each teacher modify it for their age group?

Part of your teaching could address collaboration and the necessity of attributing work to the creator.

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 8:32 pm
Miri7 wrote:
Can you approach the administration saying that you've noticed that several teachers are using your materials and that you'd like to offer mentoring/professional development to the teaching staff to help them develop materials for use in their own grade?

If you have developed effective Behavior management techniques then perhaps the school would benefit as a whole if you gave workshops and help each teacher modify it for their age group?

Part of your teaching could address collaboration and the necessity of attributing work to the creator.

I think I may run this idea by my boss and see how it goes over.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics