Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Why is it that ....

MitzadSheini

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 3:48 am
When we were kids, if you were late to school, they caned you. Now, when our kids are late, nothing happens to the kid, but the school blames us.

I say-

Director ......... NOT FAIR!.

Banging head Salut Bounce Time out Salut

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 8:07 am
Everything is always the parent's fault. Welcome to education in 2016. Mad

water_bear88

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 9:29 am
Because it often isn't the child's fault. Why is it ok by you that I got in trouble multiple times as a child because a sibling was dragging their heels leaving the house, or because my father was running late after shul, or because the mother who drove carpool one year took half the year to adjust to the fact that the middle school started (inexplicably) fifteen minutes before the elementary school, and her kid never bothered to correct her?

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jun 10 2016, 10:52 am
Kids are still punished here lol

cm

Post Fri, Jun 10 2016, 11:09 am
When I was a child in public school, children were largely responsible for getting themselves to school, whether walking, bicycling or getting to the bus stop. By fourth grade, if you were late, it was your own fault. In junior high and above, the punishment for lateness was severe (not caning, which I am sure was illegal in my state), so the motivation was there. Of course, if you needed to travel to an out-of-town yeshiva instead of your neighborhood school, the situation was different.

Nowadays, where I live now, it is vanishingly rare for children to walk to school and many parents do not trust their kids to get to the bus themselves. It really is the parents' responsibility if there are cars involved, or if the children are being supervised by adults (for better or worse).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics