Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
Freeze salmon raw or cooked?
1  2  Next

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 2:39 pm
I marinated salmon for shavuos. Should I cook it then freeze it or freeze it raw and cook on Yom tov?
We generally like to broil our salmon (we find that it tastes less "fishy" that way) but I won't be able to broil it on Yom tov. If I broil it today, then freeze, then defrost in Yom tov, will it be dried out?

greenfire

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 2:41 pm
I wonder if it will flake apart ...

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 2:43 pm
I would broil it today or tomorrow, then store in the fridge until serving (or re-heating). I wouldn't put it in the freezer.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 2:43 pm
I think you should freeze it tonight in the marinade, broil it before Shabbos (of course defrost first) and then refrigerate until use. It should be good in the fridge .

AlwaysThinking

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 2:59 pm
Frozen cooked salmon has a strange texture...

Maybe keep it raw in the fridge until tomorrow, cook it before shabbos and it will be fine until Monday in the fridge.

HonesttoGod

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 3:07 pm
You can't really freeze cook salmon it totally ruins the texture and flavor. Either freeze it ready prepared (in marinade etc) or just store it in the fridge.
It lasts at least 4 days. (If it is sweet and sour salmon or salmon with vinegar it can last up to 10 days).

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 3:11 pm
Freeze raw and pan sear on YT

gibberish

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 3:15 pm
Yikes! I froze my baked salmon. Do you think it'll be ok?

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 3:28 pm
gibberish wrote:
Yikes! I froze my baked salmon. Do you think it'll be ok?

It won't kill anybody, but it won't taste as good.

Once fish is cooked, it needs to be eaten.

Raisin

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 5:06 pm
freeze raw and cook on yom tov. I'd rather not eat salmon at all then eat defrosted cooked salmon, unless I was really stuck. (like desert island kind of stuck) I've heard if you make salmon fishcakes they freeze well however.

seeker

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 11:31 pm
OK piggybacking on this thread since we're already talking about salmon and a 3-day yomtov. What's my best strategy:

Bought salmon yesterday. Says sell by 6/13 (Monday, but I'm not taking chances). Would like to serve fish on yomtov but I don't really NEED a fish course at every meal. DH might appreciate that though.

If I bake it now, will it still be good the last day of yomtov? Would it make a difference if I wait until tomorrow afternoon to bake it? Or should I freeze it and bake it on Sunday and just have it for the second half of yomtov? Or maybe bake half now and freeze half to bake on Sunday? That already sounds like a pain.

Please advise. And bear in mind that at present I have more refrigerator than freezer space available.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 11:47 pm
seeker wrote:
OK piggybacking on this thread since we're already talking about salmon and a 3-day yomtov. What's my best strategy:

Bought salmon yesterday. Says sell by 6/13 (Monday, but I'm not taking chances). Would like to serve fish on yomtov but I don't really NEED a fish course at every meal. DH might appreciate that though.

If I bake it now, will it still be good the last day of yomtov? Would it make a difference if I wait until tomorrow afternoon to bake it? Or should I freeze it and bake it on Sunday and just have it for the second half of yomtov? Or maybe bake half now and freeze half to bake on Sunday? That already sounds like a pain.

Please advise. And bear in mind that at present I have more refrigerator than freezer space available.

This sounds good for baked salmon.

If you want to cook it all now and store in the fridge where it stays fresh throughout, go with a stove top poached salmon or pickled salmon.

seeker

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 11:55 pm
how long would baked salmon stay good?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 11:56 pm
seeker wrote:
how long would baked salmon stay good?

2 days. And of course will taste better the first day before you have a chance to refrigerate it.

seeker

Post Fri, Jun 10 2016, 12:04 am
2 days is not a long time Sad Is that really all? I seem to recall my mother serving salmon leftover from shabbos later than Sunday. But I wouldn't know because I'm not a fish eater and never paid any attention to fish.

seeker

Post Fri, Jun 10 2016, 1:30 am
OK, next question: Say I'm going to do the half-and-half plan - bake half tomorrow for Shabbos, and then bake more on Sunday for the rest of yomtov. I bought the fish Wednesday and it says to "sell by" Monday (it doesn't have a separate "use by" date like meat usually does...?) If I'm planning to bake the second half on Sunday, should I freeze it now just in case or just trust that it will be ok because it's still before the sell-by date? (recalling that the freezer is still overfull while the fridge is still handling decently.)

tichellady

Post Fri, Jun 10 2016, 1:34 am
seeker wrote:
OK, next question: Say I'm going to do the half-and-half plan - bake half tomorrow for Shabbos, and then bake more on Sunday for the rest of yomtov. I bought the fish Wednesday and it says to "sell by" Monday (it doesn't have a separate "use by" date like meat usually does...?) If I'm planning to bake the second half on Sunday, should I freeze it now just in case or just trust that it will be ok because it's still before the sell-by date? (recalling that the freezer is still overfull while the fridge is still handling decently.)

Freeze.I never keep fish in the fridge for more Than a day.

seeker

Post Fri, Jun 10 2016, 1:37 am
Oy. Think it'll be OK to wait until tomorrow to bake it for Shabbos or should I do that right now? I just turned off the oven and thought I was done for tonight.... sigh. But I bought it Wednesday afternoon and now it's between Thursday and friday.

seeker

Post Fri, Jun 10 2016, 1:39 am
Or I can just pop the whole thing straight in the freezer and make it on Sunday, and have something else on Shabbos.

momofmy3

Post Fri, Jun 10 2016, 5:13 am
My salmon is prepared, I'm going to bake it fresh on Sunday. I bought it Thursday is it better to freeze until then (it's breaded) or keep in the fridge until Sunday?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics