Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
He keeps falling
1  2  Next

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 8:39 pm
My baby is two and he keeps falling. Down the stairs, tripping over his feet, off of chairs, bumping into walls, tripping over toys, etc. He is getting evaluated for pt through ei. He was sent fo an orthopedist who told us that he is just low tone, and "he will outgrow it".

Until then, how can I Protect him better?
We just had to run to the doctor for what we were concerned was a concussion at the back of his head. This is the worst he's gotten, but he is getting worse as the weather gets warmer and he gets older.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 8:54 pm
Get him evaluated. Tell them everything you wrote here and everything else that is happening. An evaluation is not a shidduch meeting where you tell how wonderful your child is. Do not make it seem less than it is.
My son falls a lot too. Not as much as yours though. We're getting him evaluated but until then we are frequenting the park. I am seeing significant improvement bh. I sometimes build him obstacle courses, and although it is hard for him to get through he is getting better at it! Keep working with him until you get the services you need. It does get better with work. Good luck .

penguin

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 8:56 pm
I would also check out his ears. If he has recurrent ear infections or allergies resulting in fluid in the ears it could impact his balance.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 8:59 pm
Check to see if his shoes are the right size and supportive enough. My kids feet grow super fast, and how I know when they are ready for a new pair is when they start falling more than normal--even if it is only a month later. One of my kids needed arch support added to his shoes as a two year old and as he grew older the issue went away.

This seems like a deeper problem than that, but you can at least check up on their shoes

seeker

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 8:59 pm
How thorough are PT and orthopedist evaluations? Maybe it's something else, like visual depth perception or peripheral vision? Do you need a separate vision evaluation for things like that? Or if it's about balance, that can be related to inner ear issues. I don't know if a PT covers that? This sounds unusual and concerning.

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 9:13 pm
Regarding the shoes...he refuses to wear shoes, so we are getting him orthotics (smo)-hoping he will wear them.

Fluid issue: thank you for that, I will take him back to the Ent to make sure that his tubes are still intact.

He has a follow up with his neurologist in a month. Initial visit was when he started falling.

I will be sure to mention everything at the evaluation.

Take him to the park? Hmm. I'm getting anxious thinking about all the ways he can fall off of the equipment. (He has literally plunged from a 6 foot platform [think fireman pole] in the park before). I avoid parks when I can.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 9:17 pm
What are you doing to help his muscle tone if he can't run about outside? Have you gotten any exercise instructions?

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 9:19 pm
seeker wrote:
How thorough are PT and orthopedist evaluations? Maybe it's something else, like visual depth perception or peripheral vision? Do you need a separate vision evaluation for things like that? Or if it's about balance, that can be related to inner ear issues. I don't know if a PT covers that? This sounds unusual and concerning.

Interesting that you mention this because my son wears glasses and still falls plenty. I wonder if they're related. He got the glasses as an infant so I can't really compare his balance to then.

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 9:20 pm
He runs outside, just not where he can climb.
I don't want him to get really hurt one day.

That is why I posted for ideas.
When I think about him, I just want to cry. It hard to think how I can help him.

Stars

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 9:26 pm
Op you sound like an amazing Mommy.

yogabird

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 9:51 pm
You can get him a thudguard

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 9:55 pm
yogabird wrote:
You can get him a thudguard

Never heard of it. I have to look into it. Thank you

yogabird

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 9:58 pm
amother wrote:
Never heard of it. I have to look into it. Thank you

https://www.google.com/webhp?s.....=shop

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 10:02 pm
So a thudguard is a glorified helmet. Is it extreme to have him walk around in a helmet all day. Isn't it sweaty?

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 10:04 pm
Maybe get his eyes checked. My friends son kept falling at the end he needed glasses.

yogabird

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 10:10 pm
amother wrote:
So a thudguard is a glorified helmet. Is it extreme to have him walk around in a helmet all day. Isn't it sweaty?

I'm not advocating this as a solution, you just asked for ways to protect him. Yes it's sweaty. He can wear it just when he's outdoors.

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 10:12 pm
Thank you. I have to sleep on it. I appreciate the suggestion.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 10:12 pm
amother wrote:
He runs outside, just not where he can climb.
I don't want him to get really hurt one day.

That is why I posted for ideas.
When I think about him, I just want to cry. It hard to think how I can help him.

When my DD was born I had a good friend who was a childrens PT, she helped me with exercises that were aimed at building my DDs stomach muscles (she had a herniated umbilicus). As my DD grew and developed she taught us activities that built muscle tone and increased eye hand coordination, grip strength etc. I'm sure if you googled you might find something appropriate.

yogabird

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 10:14 pm
It could also be a motor planning issue.

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 10:14 pm
Magentayenta, can you help me with search terms?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics