Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Places to relocate

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Jun 14 2016, 1:50 pm
We are looking to move out of the new york/jersy area. does anyone have any ideas of where a family of 3 can relocate? my husband will be looking into going to college at night for education but will need some sort of day job. I am looking for a secratery job in a school office preferably but any office type job is fine. cheap housing a plus... any ideas?

mha3484

Post Tue, Jun 14 2016, 2:06 pm
How far are you looking to go? Chicago has a state college with an excellent teaching program that is located 15 min from the frum community. Our cost of living is cheaper then the tri state area but not dirt cheap either.

doctorima

Post Tue, Jun 14 2016, 2:14 pm
Virtually any place could work for you. If your goal is cheap housing, look into Cleveland or Detroit, or if you want closer to NY, Baltimore or Waterbury.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jun 14 2016, 2:14 pm
What kind of a day job is your DH looking for? How big of a community do you want?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Jun 14 2016, 3:12 pm
chicago is out of the question-husband is from there and we dont want to live near family-as mean as that sounds but we need a place no where near family....

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Jun 14 2016, 3:13 pm
doctorima wrote:
Virtually any place could work for you. If your goal is cheap housing, look into Cleveland or Detroit, or if you want closer to NY, Baltimore or Waterbury.

can you tell me about detroit? we are looking into cleveland as a possibility at the moment...just need to speak to our friend later today.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Jun 14 2016, 3:15 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
What kind of a day job is your DH looking for? How big of a community do you want?

Would probably do anything but office work.. would have to make sure 100% once he gets home from work. we want a small but established community

doctorima

Post Tue, Jun 14 2016, 4:26 pm
What would you like to know about Detroit? I don't live there, but it's a very friendly, wholesome, and warm community. Housing used to be under 100K, which caused the community to grow as many people came in search of such cheap housing. The increased demand has definitely driven up prices, but I think you can still get for under 200K.

bluebird

Post Tue, Jun 14 2016, 4:45 pm
Has your husband started the college application process yet? If you're not planning to move right away you might want to research and apply to different schools near the communities you're interested in and see which he's accepted to.

mha3484

Post Tue, Jun 14 2016, 4:58 pm
I would look into what state colleges have a good education program and then figure out if any of the communities in that area would be a fit. You are better off paying the least amount in tuition that you can so skip private schools.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Jun 14 2016, 5:30 pm
has anyone done TTI in cleveland?

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 12:21 am
milwaukee
I know YES, yeshiva elementary school was looking for a secretary dont know if the position was filled or not.

pearled

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 8:27 am
Come look into our warm community in Northeast Philadelphia. We are about an hour and 40 minutes from Brooklyn, Very affordable housing- rentals between $800-$1200 for 2-3 bedroom walk-in garden apartments, ($150K-215k+ to buy 3-4 bedroom home). Lots and lots of good universities/colleges here in Philly...if you live here you can get good rates for city colleges which have lots of great program options. Plenty of jobs in our city. Out of town crowd with no need to "keep up with the neighbors." Lots of kosher food, some restaurants, and great shuls. Feel free to pm me or ask me any questions for more info...

Wishing you lots of luck!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 9:01 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I would look into what state colleges have a good education program and then figure out if any of the communities in that area would be a fit. You are better off paying the least amount in tuition that you can so skip private schools.

You may not get in-state tuition, though, if it looks like you moved just for college.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 11:34 pm
any other communities?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jun 16 2016, 9:42 pm
You can try Cincinnati, but I do think it's best to make pilot trips to anywhere you are considering to see if it's really the right match for you, and if you are looking to move before the fall semester, it's a little late.

tryinghard

Post Thu, Jun 16 2016, 10:12 pm
What type of community would you feel comfortable in?

Rochester, NY may fit your criteria, but it depends on what you are looking for hashkafically...

shaimac1

Post Sun, Jun 19 2016, 9:19 pm
amother wrote:
chicago is out of the question-husband is from there and we dont want to live near family-as mean as that sounds but we need a place no where near family....

Just want to make sure that you are not interested in any cities that are within a few hours of Chicago? If you are willing to be close to Chicago, but not in than you can try South Bend (www.cdisouthbend.com), Milwaukee, St. Louis, Minneapolis, or Cincinnati, to name a few. Good luck with your search!

ShoshLay

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 9:07 pm
Hi. I'm with Harrisburg, PA. Penn State Harrisburg is located here, and there are a number of small colleges. It's a small, close-knit community, where we all pull together. Nice housing can be found here under $200K, or even, say $170,or sometimes less. Our school also features nice discounts at most income levels. And life here is very, very manageable. First, there is tremendous affordability; kids grow up with a healthy sense of responsibility toward community; and the lack of traffic and urban congestion also contributes a lot to a pleasant lifestyle.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 10:23 pm
Jacksonville Florida
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating