Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Do you teach high school English?

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Jun 14 2016, 9:27 pm
After a long career in something else I've taken time off to be home with the kids and now I'd like to teach high school English. I'm open to going back to school but I don't even know where to start. Do I need a Master's? I'm in NJ and I'd like to find the most economical option that would actually get me a job afterwards. If you teach high school English what is your educational background? Please advise!

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Jun 14 2016, 9:35 pm
I taught HS English for years and yes, I have a masters. You can get jobs without one at very frum schools, but if you want a good job, at either an MO school or public school, you need a masters. Perhaps you can go the BY route for a few years to gain experience while working on your masters. It actually doesn't take so long (assuming you already have a bachelors), you can do it in 2 years. Some schools that generally require the masters will let you teach while you're working on it and will give you a raise when you finish.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics