Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Pls tell me some frustrating scenarios so I can be more prep
1  2  Next

thegiver

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 2:56 am
I already am prepared to remove all toilet accessories from bathroom
to put on shoes in teh car (so dont have to keep putting on)
removed waterbottles out of reach so they arent spilled on the floor
we always have trouble getting into the carseat and I have to run all over the car to catch him (from teh inside of course--after strapping in baby)

more scenarios greatly appreciated
I think if I expect them it wont be so bad

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 3:07 am
Store every item you own on the ceiling. Remove absolutely everything else from your home, lock all the doors, keep windows locked shut. No furniture. No light switches within reach. Then figure out what to do with a very bored toddler.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 8:35 am
amother wrote:
Store every item you own on the ceiling. Remove absolutely everything else from your home, lock all the doors, keep windows locked shut. No furniture. No light switches within reach. Then figure out what to do with a very bored toddler.

Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

asp40

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 8:41 am
How old is this toddler?

busydev

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 9:25 am
Figure out a way to grow unbreakable bananas.

Invent a spoon that doesn't allow any pieces of cereal to fall off (thereby preventing a tantrum every time one does and is then not put back on the exact spot it fell from.)

Never change your routine the slightest. Don't even think of no longer using a coat even if it is 90 degrees outside. Coats go on before going outside. End of story. Always pour the milk into the bowl before the cup or it will be spilled out.

Always triple check before cutting any food and even then hold your breathe.

Figure out which outfit he likes and buy 6 of the same so you don't have a tantrum every day its not available nor will you have to do the laundry multiple times a week. Plus he will always match if he decides it's time to be independent and pick his own clothes.

Following my advice and ideas would have saved me many a tantrums and frustrating situations this past year that's for sure....

water_bear88

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 9:44 am
Great posts by amother and busydev Smile

My advice is to decide you're ok with some mess of a certain type. I keep the paper recycling within reach because it's fun for toddlers to pull out but an easy mess for me to clean up, likewise plastic bottle recycling. I also keep my plastic containers in a low, unlocked cabinet since they're safe "trouble" for my toddler to get into.

Tzutzie

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 9:47 am
Amother smokey. That hilarious!!!!

On a more serious note, it's not always about tantrums.
We lock up all food before bed.
The day before we started doing this she ate up a whole jar of candy. Diarrhea for a week.
The other time she drank baby wash..... So yeah. Some toddlers need stuff stored on the ceiling.
And locks on the top of the doors or they'll walk off at 6am. And I have girls.

I put away all the dangerous stuff (medicine / knives in the locked cabinet) at night. And there are no sentamental breakable items in places she likes to wreck (formal dining Room is my "safe" room. She rarely goes in there) and sleep with one eye open so I hear her wake up.....

She is the sweetest kid. Knows her 'scuzeme's and 'skoyach's and sincere sorrys and kisses when she didn't mean to. And shares everything she has with whoever is around. She's also our little (or big) monkey. Total love.

Having a very non decorative house with pen marks on all the door handle wall protectors (those plastic patches) is one of the occupational hazards that comes with being a mom.
So is tears and tantrums. You can avoid lots of unnecessary tantrums but it's actually good that your kid tantrums. It's a healthy sign.

Edited for typo

Also, "child safe" medicine bottles aren't child safe at all. My kid opened them before her first birthday. And pillows can be repurposed as a step stool... How do you think she got to the Motrin bottle in the first place?

Also, if your kid is anything like mine please keep all new items that are wrapped in shrink wrap very very high. Bh she's alive and well.
It's her birthday tomorrow. She's turning three and is finally in the stage of enjoying a social life and playing with toys. Bh. With all we have been thru with her, her sister scares me.
Hashem should watch over all our children.

rowo

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 10:07 am
Water
Lots of water
And nudity

I have a great photo of one of my kids standing naked in an inch of water on the kitchen floor after he flooded the place trying to 'help' me wash the dishes.

Another great memory. While hosting some nice respectable people for a shabbos meal I turn around to see two naked toddlers running through the room Smile

Honestly, just try to laugh.
The situations are usually hysterical (if they aren't dangerous)

deams

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 10:36 am
Dish soap everywhere.
Hair not allowed to be made.
Needs to strap himself in car seat. Either wait the 10 minutes it takes or it's tantrum the rest of the day.
Penmarks and nail polish is not for just the walls but for the coach as well. Does not matter where you try to hide it.
Laundry and cooking take triple the time. If he doesn't "help" it will never get done.

imasinger

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 11:06 am
Yes to the safety concerns.

After that, expect the unexpected.

Ain't no way to prepare properly for the toddler mind!

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 11:22 am
Interesting you use the word frustrating.
I'm with everyone who says, do what you can within reason. (There was a point where I dreamed of having pegs high on the walls to hang the chairs between meals.) That should give you some level of menucha as you go through your day. Then, for those moments that are frustrating, you might want to keep a chocolate bar in your pocketbook and allow yourself a square. As you make the bracha on it, be thankful for the healthy kids doing whatever they are. Repeat as needed.

sourstix

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 11:40 am
I am rolling with laughter and have tears coming out of my eyes from having a good laugh. this is hysterically funny.
op dear, you can try to plan. but noone knows what a toddler can come up with. they are by definition teenagers in a small body. just take the ride its over before you know it. they mature and then oops the teen years.

yes take a peice of chocolate when you are losing it. and say a shehakol and thank hashem for healthy kids. take a deep breath and hold on to the ride. good luck.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 11:46 am
Toddler asks for cereal and milk then spills it all over the room in a second
Same goes for yogurt
Toddler takes chair to sink to "wash dishes" aka the whole kitchen gets a washing too
Toddler only wants to dress himself and everything is on upside down or backwards....

youngishbear

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 11:59 am
Don't forget the peanut buttery hands that will try to stretch around you in a hug...

And when they drool lollipop flavored secrets into your ears..

Treasure those sticky moments!

Thanks for the laughs, ladies!!

rachel6543

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 12:07 pm
My toddler got in this routine that once he was in bed he was hungry again and would want more food. I put a stop to it by starting a rule that once we brush teeth, no more food until breakfast. Only water allowed. It took about 2-3 days for my son to learn the lesson, but it helped so much. No more tantrums at bedtime about being hungry. my kid learned to eat at dinnertime or go hungry until breakfast.

Coffee Addict

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 12:08 pm
This thread is adorable! Thanks for the laugh ladies! Smile

I could probably add some more toddler craziness here but busy now.

Tzutzie

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 12:12 pm
Toddler (almost three) post bath naked on the windowsil facing a very busy public back yard at 6:15 in the summer

Toddler flushing down stuff and clogging the only bathroom

Pulling tablecloths. Just because.

Body art

Shoe bath

Wash cloth instead of toilet paper

Bath crayons on wall paint

Food flung across the room

sourstix

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 12:14 pm
[b]And when they drool lollipop flavored secrets into your ears..

yummmmm

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 12:27 pm
Shoes on in the car? How abuot just forget shoes. They never spend any lengthy amount of time on anyway unless it is in a puddle or a sand box!

Otherwise ditto to every other comment. There is not such thing as being prepared.

Frustrating scenarios?
You buy a double lock for a closet, with a gate for the kitchen so no one can get in. You wake up at 5:45 am and the 2 yo has already climbed into the kitchen, opened the double lock and helped himself to candy, cake and cereal. In Silence.
That night you open a container of ice cream, said 2yo wakes up screaming and only calms down when you share the ice cream!

Make up, creams, medication, cutlery, plates, dishes, pots, pans, containers, cake, food, fruit, fridge, freezer, windows, paper, pens, markers, crayons, sticky tac, etc etc all locked away in another house that doesn't have toddlers.
Bed linen, clothing, pants, tshirts etc - don't bother, it all gets torn or stained anyway.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 1:07 pm
HonesttoGod wrote:
Shoes on in the car? How abuot just forget shoes. They never spend any lengthy amount of time on anyway unless it is in a puddle or a sand box!

B"H tying their shoelaces together usually kept them from climbing out of their carseats.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics