Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
How did you do milchigs/fleishigs?
Previous  1  2

Are your Shavuos meals Fleishig or Milchig?
All milchig  
 18%  [ 17 ]
All fleishig (with maybe Milchig Kiddush)  
 37%  [ 35 ]
Milchig at night, Fleishig by day  
 14%  [ 14 ]
Some of each, with no clear rhyme or reason  
 29%  [ 28 ]
Total Votes : 94

Notsobusy

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 7:12 pm
I used to serve dairy the first morning meal only, because that's how my parents did it. Once my sons became teenagers and started drinking coffee, they asked me to serve dairy the first night too so that they can have coffee during the long night of learning.

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 7:13 pm
I'm allergic to dairy and DH's family minhag is to have meat at Yom Tov meals. A match made in heaven! LOL

DH and kids had dairy kiddush and also as per family minhag some dairy foods right after kiddush of the first day lunch at a separate table with a separate bread, (the bread thing is something about remez to the shtei halechem?) I can't even touch it without gloves so he buys whatever dairy things he and kids want.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 7:18 pm
We generally do milchig the first night of Shavuos since our Rav (Rabbi Forscheimer) said that's the main time for the minhag. It also helps with the coffee Smile.

However my father has the minhag to have meat at every Yom Tov meal. Since he came to us for Shavuos this year we did a compromise of sorts - we did the milchig meal the first day, and I served some leftover meat later in the afternoon for those who wanted some. That way my father had his fleishig meals - it would've been complicated to do that at night.

Culturedpearls

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 8:56 pm
First day Milchig kiddush in shul followed by a fleishig seuda at home.
Second day, a big Milchig kiddush at home with all the types of cheesecakes, cakes , blintzes & milk yeast dough cakes that the kids & guests love. Then everyone sits & shmoozes & drinks herbal tea till we can have a full fleishig seuda.
This typically takes over 4 hours & is loads of fun for everyone & since it's the last day no one is rushing anywhere either.

etky

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 10:39 pm
tichellady wrote:
We did all dairy with some pareve options. I decide menus in our house- my husband doesn't like discussing and he knows that I know what he likes and doesn't like. He has no idea what's being served until he comes to the table ( unless I send him to do some shopping). I don't think you need meat to Make Shabbat or yomtov special. We often have nice dairy meals on Shabbos. I will do meat this Shabbos though because we have had a lot of dairy/fish.

Same here. DH is not crazy about dairy and the kids are split, so I made sure to have parve options (fish, grains etc.) at both meals. Everyone though enjoyed the dairy desserts!
I suppose that if I were keeping two days of chag I would include a meat meal somewhere, especially since the chag was preceded by Shabbat which meant that I would have been cooking fleishigs anyway beforehand.
I think four dairy meals in a row might have been a bit much - just like on other two or three day Shabbat/yomtov combos I always include a dairy/parve 'breather' meal to take a break from the fleishigs.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jun 16 2016, 1:01 am
When DH comes home Shavuos morning he makes kiddusha d has a milchig breakfast with the kids before going to sleep.
It has included; milchig c-chip cookies and milk, cheesecake, ice cream, chocolate milk, blintzes... This year was cookies and milk, cheesecake and strawberry lebens. Whoever wanted could have cereal after.

Wake up DH four hours later, when we're ready.
On Shavuos the Korban of "shtei halechem" is brought. So for the seuda we have cheesecake and a first course with the first challah, then remove I'll the dairy and the (top) tablecloth, wash our hands, rinse out our mouths (with schnapps) then serve the meats.

I have to remember for next year that chocolate liqueur is really good in whole milk.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Jun 16 2016, 6:14 am
I do the same as another poster has mentioned. For simchas yom tov is with "meat and wine". This is brought down in The Rambam (Hilkhot Yom Tov 6:17-18). We simply do a dairy kiddish by day before the meal.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Jun 16 2016, 6:19 pm
So interesting.
I am chabad and I thought chabad does the same but I don't see any like I do it, so wondering if any other chabad does it differently or the same.

We have meat every meal since it's yomtov.
But since it's shavuos the first day we do a milchig meal as well.

So Sunday we had a dairy meal (my husband grew up with just cheesecake for breakfast, I grew up with the fish course being milchig and cheese danishes and stuff. We didn't wash for milchig meal. Now I make a whole milchig meal. Lasagna, quiche, etc)

Then we wait at least an hour and wash and have meat course. If we're too full, my husband will just have a piece of chicken but we generally wait a few hours and have the meat later in the day.

All other meals are only meat.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics