Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
First time makeup in Boro Park

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 9:20 pm
Can anyone recommend someone where I can go buy my daughter her first set of makeup. Im looking for someone who is good at recommending which items and colors. If you have contact info and which companies they sell.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Jun 16 2016, 12:13 am
At cosmetic center 13/48 the lady with the dark skin/hair is great. She's there for yrs and has a lot of experience.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Jun 16 2016, 8:52 am
Thank you. Anyone else has any suggestions?

HonesttoGod

Post Thu, Jun 16 2016, 10:18 am
la la lipstick on 18th 59/60.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 2:13 pm
HonesttoGod wrote:
la la lipstick on 18th 59/60.

How are they better (La La Lipstick) than the make up counters in department stores offering free makeovers?

cnc

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 3:27 pm
amother wrote:
How are they better (La La Lipstick) than the make up counters in department stores offering free makeovers?

The ladies in department stores are saleswomen not trained makeup artists. They're trying to push the brand that they work for even if it doesn't suit the customer.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 11:16 am
cnc wrote:
The ladies in department stores are saleswomen not trained makeup artists. They're trying to push the brand that they work for even if it doesn't suit the customer.

Not necessarily. Im very fussy and my family members and I have gotten excellent makeup instruction at MAC and Clinique and other top quality brands counters for free, as long as you buy a few products, and they use MUCH better quality makeup, highly rated on many websites, than the women in private stores who use their own brand of garbage. Ive also watched them do others faces, while waiting for our turn, and they do a super job. The department store makeup artists spend a lot more time with less cost and less obligation. I make sure to ask how long the woman has been with the company before I make an appointment. I ask for the one who has been there the longest.

cnc

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 11:21 am
amother wrote:
Not necessarily. Im very fussy and my family members and I have gotten excellent makeup instruction at MAC and Clinique and other top quality brands counters for free, as long as you buy a few products, and they use MUCH better quality makeup, highly rated on many websites, than the women in private stores who use their own brand of garbage. Ive also watched them do others faces, while waiting for our turn, and they do a super job. The department store makeup artists spend a lot more time with less cost and less obligation. I make sure to ask how long the woman has been with the company before I make an appointment. I ask for the one who has been there the longest.

Lala Lipstick does not sell their own brands. They only sell brand name makeup.

Personally, I'm a fan of Sephora. They sell basically every company so you can mix and match brands and the makeup artists are helpful.

My makeup is Laura Mercier, Smashbox, Marc Jacobs, Burberry, Clinique etc. if I would purchase from the Clinique counter or a Estée Lauder counter I would be more limited because all my makeup would be from there even though it may not all be suitable for me.
You could go around to different counters and try to mix and match but it's hard when you have different people trying to make up different parts of your face.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 12:00 pm
cnc wrote:
Lala Lipstick does not sell their own brands. They only sell brand name makeup.

Do we really think they dont push the brands they get better deals on and make a higher profit?

cnc wrote:
Personally, I'm a fan of Sephora. They sell basically every company so you can mix and match brands and the makeup artists are helpful.

My makeup is Laura Mercier, Smashbox, Marc Jacobs, Burberry, Clinique etc. if I would purchase from the Clinique counter or a Estée Lauder counter I would be more limited because all my makeup would be from there even though it may not all be suitable for me.
You could go around to different counters and try to mix and match but it's hard when you have different people trying to make up different parts of your face.

If your skin is ok with fragrances in makeup, thats great. I like hypoallergenic and fragrance free makeup, and these days every brand makes sooo many options in each category, one can find almost everything within a brand, besides the long lasting lipsticks that you might not find in every brand.

cnc

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 12:23 pm
amother wrote:
If your skin is ok with fragrances in makeup, thats great. I like hypoallergenic and fragrance free makeup, and these days every brand makes sooo many options in each category, one can find almost everything within a brand, besides the long lasting lipsticks that you might not find in every brand.

lol.
Sephora sells what every makeup counter sells plus more.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 12:58 pm
cnc wrote:
lol.
Sephora sells what every makeup counter sells plus more.

I buy in Sephora, but only when I know exactly what I want. They have huge turnover in salespeople. The girls start there and I assume have their first makeup job there, and then go on to more high paying jobs in the field, as they get experience.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 1:32 pm
amother wrote:
I buy in Sephora, but only when I know exactly what I want. They have huge turnover in salespeople. The girls start there and I assume have their first makeup job there, and then go on to more high paying jobs in the field, as they get experience.

Interesting.
I have "my makeup artist" at the Joralemon location since they opened. She's been doing bridal makeup for years privately. I wonder how long they generally stay there.

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 2:12 pm
Btw lala lipstick opened a new location yesterday at 13 49 in BP.
Looks beautiful but I know nothing about their service/expertise
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics