Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Want to go to school

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 11:00 pm
Sorry, I wasn't sure where to post this, hope it's ok here! :-)

I'm a sahm currently, never went to college. I have decided that I want to go to school and get a degree so that I can eventually get a job. Right now my job options are pretty poor. I don't like the fact that I am in my 30's and have never had a "real" job nor furthered my education.

So I was just wondering if anyone had any tips or could point me in a direction of where to get started? Can I get tuition help? I know I sound so clueless, and unfortunately I kind of am. This is one reason I want to go back to school!

Thanks to anyone who can help me out or point me in the right direction! :-)

out-of-towner

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 11:07 pm
What are your interests? Putting yourself through school as a wife and mother is a huge commitment and a lot of work, and if you don't yet have a BA and want to work in a field where you need at least a Masters, it might not be worth it for you at this point, both from a financial standpoint and a time commitment standpoint. For example, if you have kids that would otherwise be home with you, can you afford to pay a babysitter for the time that you will be in class?

tf

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 11:25 pm
Been there done that. Fast forward 15 years, I almost have my BA. Don't get discouraged by the amount of time it took me. I did what I could, when I could. The way I did it was "take it easy " style. I had more kids, I stopped for a while, had more time did some more credits. The reason? I had no support in the process with a host of difficulties in the way. Now that I'm at the point of earning the BA, I feel sooo proud of myself and accomplished. I earned 40k the past year, and going on to 65 next year iyh. ๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜… All of those that managed to put obstacles in many of my ways are still unaware of the goals I'm reaching, and now it'll iyh be easier to reach higher.
As of now, there are online degree programs that might be of interest to you. In terms of age, I've been in classes with 55 year old people. Nobody cares how old you are. From experience, it'll serve you good, because many of the courses you'll take are what you already know and you'll get good grades. Professors and colleges like such students because the good grades give a good appearance for them. Very few people in my circles do it, but it's absolutely GRRREAAAT.
It's important, though, that you find a college that teaches in a way that's easy for you to learn. Some people learn better in group settings, which means sitting into classrooms. Others have an easier time reading a book and taking a test on the information of the book. Some online colleges have mandatory virtual classrooms, meaning you go online every week at a specific time to "meet" with the professor and classmates, and then have course work to be completed on your own throughout the week.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 11:34 pm
tf wrote:
Been there done that. Fast forward 15 years, I almost have my BA. Don't get discouraged by the amount of time it took me. I did what I could, when I could. The way I did it was "take it easy " style. I had more kids, I stopped for a while, had more time did some more credits. The reason? I had no support in the process with a host of difficulties in the way. Now that I'm at the point of earning the BA, I feel sooo proud of myself and accomplished. I earned 40k the past year, and going on to 65 next year iyh. ๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜… All of those that managed to put obstacles in many of my ways are still unaware of the goals I'm reaching, and now it'll iyh be easier to reach higher.
As of now, there are online degree programs that might be of interest to you. In terms of age, I've been in classes with 55 year old people. Nobody cares how old you are. From experience, it'll serve you good, because many of the courses you'll take are what you already know and you'll get good grades. Professors and colleges like such students because the good grades give a good appearance for them. Very few people in my circles do it, but it's absolutely GRRREAAAT.
It's important, though, that you find a college that teaches in a way that's easy for you to learn. Some people learn better in group settings, which means sitting into classrooms. Others have an easier time reading a book and taking a test on the information of the book. Some online colleges have mandatory virtual classrooms, meaning you go online every week at a specific time to "meet" with the professor and classmates, and then have course work to be completed on your own throughout the week.

Thank you for the encouragement!! I bet you are proud, that is such an accomplishment!

I do have children at home with me right now, and we can't afford any childcare so I'll probably be going at a slower pace and that's fine with me. In a few years the kids should all be in school and I would love to at least have the possibility of getting a job. We will need it to cover tuition. Currently the kind of jobs I can get are very low paying, they types that teenagers typically do. I want to at least try to be able to contribute to the household finances and get a job that I don't hate.

Plus I was raised that women should only raise kids and should not work or go to college-as a result I kind of always felt like I wasn't capable of taking college classes. So even if it takes me 30 years just actually getting a degree eventually would make me feel great and prove to myself that I am capable and I am worth the effort.

I'm currently thinking of a degree in early childhood education.

tf

Post Thu, Jun 16 2016, 12:01 am
HATSLUCHA IVRUCHE. Don't give up. REMEMBER, YOU CAN DO IT! !! Regardless of what anyone says.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Jun 16 2016, 12:59 am
I went back to school with seven children, the youngest were about a year and three years old. I gave birth to #9 the week after I finished my last class. (I had to get permission from campus security to park in handicapped spots because I could not walk in my 9th month!)

I took out loans at the college to help cover babysitting.

There are grants and there are loans which you can defer as long as you're in school full time. If you're part-time you can apply for what's called an income-sensitive repayment plan, but it might not apply to all loans. I deferred mine til I could afford to repay them & it took me many years. But it was so worthwhile.

cm

Post Thu, Jun 16 2016, 10:08 am
If you are in the US, I strongly suggest that you start with your local community college. They offer services to help support non-traditional students, and are considerably less-expensive than most other options. They will help also help you transfer to a four-year college to finish up your bachelors degree.

Of course, if there is a traditional four-year college that you want to attend all the way through for any of a variety of reasons - go ahead and apply!

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Jun 16 2016, 10:13 am
I am earning my associates through Touro University Worldwide, their online branch based in California. This means I can't use NY state grants but federal grants are covering all of my tuition bills for now. They have a great scholarship offer.

I am close to 30 with four kids, working part time and finding it very doable. I highly recomend the online route to SAHM to start earning credits.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics