Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Best way to estimate distance between street and building

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Jun 16 2016, 8:02 am
We're moving to a building that's kind of between streets (it's hard to explain) in a way that is very pedestrian friendly but not ideal for moving or large deliveries. The mover wants to know how far it is from where they can park the moving truck to the building. I searched on Google and all I'm getting is sites that will calculate the distance between cities and one or two explaining how to use Euclidean geometry to calculate distance- those don't look practical since we're not talking about straight lines here.

How would you go about measuring such a distance to the nearest 10 meters (~40 feet)?

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Jun 16 2016, 8:28 am
If your street and building are on GoogleMaps, you can use its built in measuring program.

1) Find the block.
2) Click at starting point (where the moving van parks).
3) Right-click and choose "Measure Distance."
4) Click at each change of direction. The program will tell you cumulative distance in both imperial and metric.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Jun 16 2016, 8:59 am
Hmm. The street appears to be on Google Maps, but the building doesn't. It's in Yehuda V'shomron- they don't have as much coverage here.

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Jun 16 2016, 9:03 am
Actually, it looks like the streets are close enough here I can get an estimate within 20 meters using Google Maps. Thank you so much, Rubber Ducky!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating