Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Man Verbally attacked a mother for breastfeeding in Target
1  2  3  4  Next

blueberries

Post Thu, Jun 16 2016, 7:18 am

Before she began filming, a man stared at Maher and called the public breastfeeding “[expletive] disgusting,” Maher wrote on Facebook.

“Can’t you do that somewhere else?” the unidentified man angrily asked Maher, she wrote.

Maher, of Canton, Conn., said she told the man she had the right to breastfeed her child and that he should walk away.

In the video, the man asks a Target employee for a refund after witnessing Maher’s breastfeeding, later accusing the mother of being disrespectful.

“Because I’m feeding my baby, this man is going crazy—and I’m shaking,” Maher can be heard saying quietly.

Another customer soon comes to Maher’s aid, telling her that feeding her baby is a “beautiful moment.”

A line of Target employees later separate Maher from the man. One employee gestures toward the man, apparently asking him to leave.

Connecticut law protects women who choose to breastfeed in public. Target corporate policy also allows for breastfeeding in their stores.

5mom

Post Thu, Jun 16 2016, 7:21 am
Good for her! I have to admit that I didn't nurse in public, but that was my choice.
I love the irony of giving this woman a hard time in a place where grownups can buy food. Because adults are so small that they need to eat every few hours, right?

sourstix

Post Thu, Jun 16 2016, 7:31 am
im just gonna comment and then move on. I dont think she is being respectful to herself. why couldnt she just drape something over herself? common. just because you could doesnt mean you should.

I know a lot of people will be against my opinion but I stand by mine. I think people have lost their own dignity at this point.

I dont think its right that he verbally attacked her. I didnt listen I just looked at it without listening. so I dont know what he said. certainly she shouldnt be attacked.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jun 16 2016, 7:35 am
I happen to agree with sourstix that personally, I wouldn't nurse like that in public. And if I had to nurse in a public place, like on a plane (BTDT) I'd cover up. However, it's not like the world today is tznius to begin with, so nursing in public is not like much of a difference.

pointyshoes

Post Thu, Jun 16 2016, 7:44 am
He was wrong for what he did.
But its a lack of self respect on her part for breastfeeding in public. I have had to do this on a plane/on a train. But at target? I'd go to the bathroom. I just dont see the need to do that in public.
That said, its nobodies business what she does as long its not harming anyone else which it certainly isn't. Horrible man

sourstix

Post Thu, Jun 16 2016, 7:53 am
I am not even discussing tznius. its self respect. why doesnt she have some self respect to keep her body to herself. its basic self respect. people also dont think how others feel they just do what they want. . im just wondering what else they think is ok for others to see. the mans behavior is certainly not ok.

problem is feminism tells you to be proud but forgets to tell you you have dignity and self respect

yo'ma

Post Thu, Jun 16 2016, 7:55 am
pointyshoes wrote:
That said, its nobodies business what she does as long its not harming anyone else which it certainly isn't. Horrible man

What about flashers? Don't get me wrong, I'm not at all comparing them. Since a breast is considered something beautiful, but a p*nis is not, it's okay to whip it out in public? Yes, she is. She is not covering up at all. I'm all for nursing in public, but with a little dignity. Where I live I see women all the time nursing in the street, walking or sitting on a stoop. They don't try to cover themselves up at all. The baby pulls away and her breast is out for all to see. Then again, these are the same women who wear very low cut tops, which are extremely immodest.

pointyshoes

Post Thu, Jun 16 2016, 8:02 am
yo'ma wrote:
What about flashers? Don't get me wrong, I'm not at all comparing them. Since a breast is considered something beautiful, but a p*nis is not, it's okay to whip it out in public? Yes, she is. She is not covering up at all. I'm all for nursing in public, but with a little dignity. Where I live I see women all the time nursing in the street, walking or sitting on a stoop. They don't try to cover themselves up at all. The baby pulls away and her breast is out for all to see. Then again, these are the same women who wear very low cut tops, which are extremely immodest.

I wasn't saying that I think its ok.
A flasher is involving somebody else- they're flashing someone. Its usually done in a way that the person being flashed cannot miss it.
Breastfeeding however, isn't being directed at anyone.
Not that I condone this. I think its a horrible lack of dignity. Even with a blanket I personally will never breastfeed in public unless absolutely necessary. And its always bothered me when I've seen women just breastfeeding wherever they "fall"

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Jun 16 2016, 8:05 am
I support every woman's right to breastfeed in public. I've nursed in planes, trains, and automobiles as well as in parks and department stores. I always cover up in public, but that's my personal preference not the law.

That said, a department store is one of the easiest places to nurse both comfortably and discreetly. There are dressing rooms with benches or chairs so you can sit and nurse easily and privately. I've done this numerous times. And if you have a stroller with you then there's usually room in a handicapped stall.

Regardless of whether this woman had other options about where or how to breastfeed, it doesn't give a man license to harass her. If he didn't want to see her nurse then he should have looked away instead of causing a scene.

yo'ma

Post Thu, Jun 16 2016, 8:08 am
pointyshoes wrote:
A flasher is involving somebody else- they're flashing someone. Its usually done in a way that the person being flashed cannot miss it.
Breastfeeding however, isn't being directed at anyone.

That's true.

yo'ma

Post Thu, Jun 16 2016, 8:09 am
sourstix wrote:
problem is feminism tells you to be proud but forgets to tell you you have dignity and self respect

Thumbs Up

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jun 16 2016, 8:12 am
sourstix wrote:
I am not even discussing tznius. its self respect. why doesnt she have some self respect to keep her body to herself. its basic self respect. people also dont think how others feel they just do what they want. . im just wondering what else they think is ok for others to see. the mans behavior is certainly not ok.

You could say that about alot of things. I don't think nursing in public is less self-respectful than, say, dressing in a pair of cut-off shorts that barely cover anything, and a strappy tank top that ends mid-riff.

Coffee Addict

Post Thu, Jun 16 2016, 8:15 am
This reminds me of the show WWYD of john quinunes.

He plays out such scenarios.

PassionFruit

Post Thu, Jun 16 2016, 8:15 am
I've nursed my baby in public many times. I wear a nursing cover that attaches to my neck and hopefully I have a vest or something to cover my back if my shirt is tight. Any woman that needs to nurse her baby should, covering up best she can. There is no reason a covered woman has to sit in a dirty public bathroom stall while feeding her baby. That said, if a woman accidentally becomes uncovered--the baby moves the cover, she has trouble clipping back up, or whatever else, that is not her fault and too bad on anyone that sees. And I agree with everyone else that she should have the self dignity to at least try to cover up, as a breast is a s-xual organ, no matter what purpose it is currently being used for.

Sadie

Post Thu, Jun 16 2016, 8:16 am
sourstix wrote:

Yeah just look at these undignified modern feminists:

cm

Post Thu, Jun 16 2016, 8:29 am
A few thoughts:

From what I could tell from the vantage point of the video, it looks like she was seated to the side of the cafe area. That seems like a totally normal place to sit down and feed your baby; not in anyone's way, and not in a germy, smelly restroom. If the mother was having her own lunch, it makes perfect sense to feed the baby there and not get up, gather up the baby stuff, look for another place and sit down again.

If the dressing rooms have benches, that might be a more comfortable place for nursing for some people. But I stopped counting on dressing rooms for nursing when I realized they don't all have benches.

As for the immodesty aspect - true, I would not want to show as much breast as this woman did, but it is hardly inappropriate and nursing under a cover is not doable for everyone. I never got the hang of it myself and would not ask it of others.

I am a feminist. I value my personal dignity. I dress and behave modestly in keeping with my feminist values. And I breastfed my baby whenever she required it - no conflict there at all.

Faigy86

Post Thu, Jun 16 2016, 8:33 am
funnyface wrote:
And I agree with everyone else that she should have the self dignity to at least try to cover up, as a breast is a s-xual organ, no matter what purpose it is currently being used for.

I'm not sure where you are getting that from. a breast is an organ of nurture. Just because as a society, we have sxualized it, why does that mean it is primarily a zxual organ?

Not discussing tznius, because all of a woman's body is erva, but the concept of nursing being sxualized and therefore marginalized is odd.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jun 16 2016, 8:33 am
I'll bet you anything this guy's got a stack of Playboy's at home. Rolling Eyes

Just because you wouldn't bf in public, doesn't mean that nobody else should be able to. Considering what a lot of women wear as "tops" in the summer, a baby covers up more boob than a lot of shirts I see on the street. At least with a baby, she has a legit reason to show a few inches of skin.

saw50st8

Post Thu, Jun 16 2016, 8:38 am
Covering more of your body doesn't always mean being more respectful to yourself.

Your personal opinion of showing that much skin is also irrelevant. I see plenty of things that I don't think are respectful and I move on. It's not my business how other people live their lives.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Jun 16 2016, 8:43 am
The man is an animal.

I breast feed my baby anywhere, anytime. I cover up as best as I can, and I obviously don't flash my nipples. If she was being provocative on purpose, he would still be wrong, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics