Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Boys yeshiva-shachris-gpa
Previous  1  2

Is it fair? read post
yes  
 72%  [ 36 ]
no  
 28%  [ 14 ]
other, please explain  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 50

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 8:05 am
"Eighty percent of success is showing up."

— Woody Allen

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 10:16 am
watergirl wrote:
offering an alternate assignment (whatever that means, op hasnt explained that yet)

Writing a little something from a specific book. It's a daily book and how many days missed is how many days you have to do. Like I said previously, I'm very unhappy with his attitude. He was always like that in the morning, at least when he started becoming a teen. I was asking if the punishment fits the crime. I see from most of the responses is yes.

Side note, he does plan on going to college.

HonesttoGod

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 10:55 am
imaima wrote:
I do think that being late for shaharis deserves a consequence but it shouldave nothing to do with academics!
I am all for separating the church from the state.
Skipping a class in academics means that one didn't learn enough information.
Skipping davening reflects yoir poor middos, but middos are not what GPA is for.

No skipping davening does not show bad middos.
Bad middos is having a bad characteristics. Not helping people, not respecting people, not caring for anything.
Besides for the point that the op wrote he does daven just in his own room, but skipping davening is between a man and G-d. That is his religion. A person can be less religious and still have excellent middos.

To answer the op, no I don't think the punishment matches the behavior. I believe that punishing someone for religious things such as davening or not being able to sit through a shiur on halacha is equating Judaism with negativity. And can be detrimental to a child/teenagers growth in Judaism and Torah.

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 11:33 am
imaima wrote:
I do think that being late for shaharis deserves a consequence but it shouldave nothing to do with academics!
I am all for separating the church from the state.
Skipping a class in academics means that one didn't learn enough information.
Skipping davening reflects yoir poor middos, but middos are not what GPA is for.

HonesttoGod pointed out that this is not true and I agree 100%. My ds is the type of person that befriends the quiet and "weird" kids and he is not one himself. He b'h has wonderful middos!!

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Jun 26 2016, 11:07 am
While looking for this thread to add something to it, I found someone posted the same question about a year ago Smile . I don't think it was me though. I wonder if they go to the same school.

I mention to my ds that I posted this question and what the majority said. He had a good point that I don't agree wholeheartedly with, but I understand him. He said when they add it to the GPA, it's like part of a subject and when you leave school and not interested in some subjects, it's also okay, not interested in shachris either or rather making it in time for minyan. I did tell him that he better not think that way though. He said this because I told him that everyone who said it should be part of it is because you should take it like being in time for a class, just like any class.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics