Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Thinking of becoming an appliance repair technician
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Jun 19 2016, 7:22 pm
I don't repair appliances but I do spend a fair amount of time in awkward positions measuring kitchens, basements, etc. because I need to take accurate measurements before drawing up new floor plans. I generally wear a long denim jumper over a layering tee, and opaque tights.

5S5Sr7z3

Post Sun, Jun 19 2016, 8:11 pm
theotherone wrote:
As far as part time- I would imagine that it can be done but bear in mind that when my washing machine is leaking, I want you NOW, not next week when your kids are back in school. Very interesting idea!

I think it's a super cool idea. But I agree with the quoted. When my hot water tank was leaking, I went shopping around for a plumber who was able to come within a few hours. These types of repairs generally cannot wait a few days.

5S5Sr7z3

Post Sun, Jun 19 2016, 8:13 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
Bear in mind that a lot of these things require a lot of physical strength. I have some aptitude for appliance stuff too, but I find that a lot of the work is mamish beyond my strength. Forget about working while you're pregnant, it's probably dangerous. and lugging around your tools from house to house can be heavy too. and you'll need a car.
But hatzlocha!!!

Part of my job entails inventorying stuff in a warehouse. I regularly lug around 50+ lb boxes. Not everyone is created equal Smile

SRB

Post Sun, Jun 19 2016, 8:43 pm
Awesome Idea! You go girl!

I want to point out that you maybe in such demand with the female clientele that you can rely on just marketing yourself to them. You did say you only want to work part-time so you would probably find enough work to fill a part time schedule with only female customers.

I personally would not feel comfortable or safe going into a home with a male I don't know! Please be safe. But it sound like an awesome idea if you market to the women!

Pita

Post Sun, Jun 19 2016, 9:02 pm
Make sure you charge what the men are charging for the work! Women tend to self sabotage by thinking they're work is work less.

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Jun 19 2016, 9:22 pm
When I was younger, I was seriously thinking about becoming a plumber. Gross stuff doesn't freak me out, and I figured that I would easily find business in the frum community.
I say go for it.
(Anon bc people know this about me.)

Catcher

Post Sun, Jun 19 2016, 11:22 pm
This is a fabulous idea! You may initially need to prove that you're just as good as a male technician but I have no doubt you'll knock people's socks off with your skill. And why not?! I would definitely hire a female repairperson, especially if I was home alone and didnt want a strange man coming into my house.

Please let us know if you do it.

DrMom

Post Sun, Jun 19 2016, 11:36 pm
You go, girl!

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 4:15 am
Bear in mind that the absolute craziest busiest time of year for an appliance repair person is pesach time. Every other person's oven and/or refrigerator dies at this time. There is no part-time work in the 2 months before pesach.

If you do air conditioners, your next busiest season will be summer time.

In general, expect to be very busy from the beginning of the summer until after succos because of the overuse of appliances at these times.
Since pesach time is busy too, you basically won't get much of a break from purim until after succos, although it might be a bit quieter during sefirah.

-relative of an appliance guy who is booked solid during the times mentioned above

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 5:04 am
amother wrote:
Bear in mind that the absolute craziest busiest time of year for an appliance repair person is pesach time. Every other person's oven and/or refrigerator dies at this time. There is no part-time work in the 2 months before pesach.

If you do air conditioners, your next busiest season will be summer time.

In general, expect to be very busy from the beginning of the summer until after succos because of the overuse of appliances at these times.
Since pesach time is busy too, you basically won't get much of a break from purim until after succos, although it might be a bit quieter during sefirah.

-relative of an appliance guy who is booked solid during the times mentioned above

Thank you- this is definitely helpful information. I'm thinking it might still make sense for me to get certified now but wait until my oldest is old enough to babysit in a pinch before I build up a real clientele. In any case, if I'm thinking of becoming an electrician, I read one of the qualifications for that is 2 years experience- not sure how they count it- and I don't think I'm going to be as wanted if I can't touch wall sockets. When our fridge was broken, the repairman also noticed the socket was half-melted (we have a horribly negligent landlord- BH the house didn't burn down before now) and was able to replace it. Most handymen have passed several different kinds of certification.

bigblueyes

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 10:26 am
I say it's a fantastic idea! I hate being home alone with a male repairman ( keep in mind even if they come lunch time a job often takes longer than dh is home) and having to leave the door open...the baby is always scared of the men...etc
Go for it,ill hire you!!

Orchid

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 3:37 pm
Honestly, I think most frum people are secretly sexist and they would think a woman isn't "good enough" in [insert traditionally male job here]. I even think that's why subconsciously, women prefer male doctors. They want a "real" doctor. I've had people admit "I would only use [female] Dr. XYZ if nothing went wrong in the labor, but if something went wrong, I'd need a strong, cool head to prevail" as if women doctors couldn't be calm, cool, and smart.

OP, I would use you as I harbor no such biases. But I think deep down people will think you're not the "real deal."

Sorry :-(

eschaya

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 5:10 pm
Orchid wrote:
Honestly, I think most frum people are secretly sexist and they would think a woman isn't "good enough" in [insert traditionally male job here]. I even think that's why subconsciously, women prefer male doctors. They want a "real" doctor. I've had people admit "I would only use [female] Dr. XYZ if nothing went wrong in the labor, but if something went wrong, I'd need a strong, cool head to prevail" as if women doctors couldn't be calm, cool, and smart.

OP, I would use you as I harbor no such biases. But I think deep down people will think you're not the "real deal."

This is horrible, frankly. And then isn't it up to us women to prove (even to each other) that we are not inferior? This is exactly why the OP should pursue her passion. She will be great at it, and she will be part of the solution, slowly dissolving some very damaging and ridiculou stereotypes in our communities.
I am all about girl power, and I will always hire a female over a male, assuming they are equally qualified.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 5:18 pm
Orchid wrote:

Interesting comment because you also write that you would hire her. I always a had a female ob-gyn and would prefer a lady appliance tech.

Orchid

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 7:33 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
Interesting comment because you also write that you would hire her. I always a had a female ob-gyn and would prefer a lady appliance tech.

I wrote that I would hire her, because I am not sexist and biased.

But I believe many OTHER people secretly are biased and sexist, and would not hire her. Of if they would hire her, she'd have to work doubly hard as any man to prove she's as good as them, because the default (in their sexist minds) is that she is not up to par.

Orchid

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 7:35 pm
eschaya wrote:
This is horrible, frankly. And then isn't it up to us women to prove (even to each other) that we are not inferior? This is exactly why the OP should pursue her passion. She will be great at it, and she will be part of the solution, slowly dissolving some very damaging and ridiculou stereotypes in our communities.
I am all about girl power, and I will always hire a female over a male, assuming they are equally qualified.

Me too, and agree. But OP should know what she's up against before she makes a heavy investment in this...biased people who aren't like you and me.

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 11:16 pm
Orchid wrote:

See, I do worry about this, especially if I'm not as available as male repairmen. I have been told by repairmen that they could either come now (as in within the next five minutes) or not for another week, or that they're booked for the day and can give me a recommendation for someone else- but I worry that as a woman, other women are going to get annoyed with me if I don't drop everything and abandon my kids for them. On the other hand, I don't want a huge client base anyway, so maybe it's all to my advantage.

DrMom

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 2:43 am
Orchid wrote:

I have noticed (sadly) that there are definitely women on this site who espouse this sexist attitude.

spikta

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 5:19 am
I'd totally take you! I'd feel much more comfortable with a strange woman banging around inside my fridge than a strange man. I've had enough inept male technicians pretending to know what they're doing and overcharging when clearly they had no idea...

But you need to have a car and babysitting arrangements in place. If you have to find where to put your kids and how to bus to every service call you won't have clients.

MyTimeNow

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 5:40 am
I think if you market yourself as a skilled, educated/experienced (you'll get that in training, and if the requirements for certification are similar in EY to here, you'll need a certain amount of hours of work in the field to qualify) alternative to repair dudes, the women who'll hire you might give you some leeway to arrange childcare if you have to dash out...But only some; emergencies are just that. You could specify what your daytime hours are, and perhaps arrange some kind of babysitter on standby for evening emergencies, like if you have to run out for a two-hour job. This is me just thinking out loud.
Also, I'm not sure but I think here in NY, many of those work hours required for licensing are accrued by working for someone already licensed. Perhaps when you go out on your own you can hire a backup for times you can't make it? That could easily be a male, so long as you explain that calls at irregular hours will be handled that way.
This way, the women who want to use a woman have a comfortable, professional option for service, and an alternative for situations that can't wait.

Seriously, I think it's a fabulous idea for you. And no career is automatically guaranteed to be successful. But doing what you enjoy, what you have a natural talent for is part of using what G-d gave you. It's being true to yourself.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics