Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Thinking of becoming an appliance repair technician
Previous  1  2  3

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 9:50 am
IYamWhoIYam wrote:
Part of my job entails inventorying stuff in a warehouse. I regularly lug around 50+ lb boxes. Not everyone is created equal Smile
I can actually lug around 50 pounds boxes. but lifting a heavy steel stove or fridge is beyond my strength. Or climbing on top of a wash machine to clean out the dryer vent.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 9:54 am
amother wrote:
See, I do worry about this, especially if I'm not as available as male repairmen. I have been told by repairmen that they could either come now (as in within the next five minutes) or not for another week, or that they're booked for the day and can give me a recommendation for someone else- but I worry that as a woman, other women are going to get annoyed with me if I don't drop everything and abandon my kids for them. On the other hand, I don't want a huge client base anyway, so maybe it's all to my advantage.
Well yo0u can totally still go into this field and then set your own ground rules/hours. So what if you refuse to take jobs a week before pesach, or within an hour. Not every appliance repair is an emergency. I've worked with severeal appliance repairmen and they dont always come the same day. Right now GE is going to service my oven and it's taking them a WEEK to come. and it's not an emergency. Not every appliance repairperson has to market themselves as available 24/7. You can take whatever jobs you want. One of the biggest appliance repairpeople in my community who is a beloved worker has simply stopped traveling to my area bc he's so busy in his own neighborhood. and he refers me to others. So you never know, y ou can have other ppl refer you for jobs they feel might be too small or inconvenient for them to travel to, etc.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 9:58 am
Btw as a side point I'm surprised at all this talk here about needing your husbands home when repair ppl come, discomfort with male repair ppl etc... I regularly have plumbers, appliance repair ppl etc in this house and they always come in middle of the day and I have zero qualms. Theyare all professional, do their jobs, and never make me fee uncomfortable. as a matter of fact, my house is always a wreck thanks to my autistic son and I always have to apologize for the state of the house and they are so nice about it, one of them even said, "Do not apologize. I fully understand. I have a nephew like this. You get credit for surivving with this. It's really okay." He made me feel so okay about letting these ppl into the house sometiems at times when it's a miracle they have where to walk on the floor.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 10:40 am
For me, personally, it's not the mess that bothers me. It's keeping an eye on what the repairman is doing while chasing active small children. Earlier it was being alone with a repairman, even if the door was open. I think as my kids get older I'd be less uncomfortable (but maybe I'll be doing it myself by then!)

Thank you MamaBear for your reassurance. Another question- I'm barely able to make it to doctor's appointments in months 2-4 of pregnancy due to nausea, and I had bad pelvic pain in my last trimester with my most recent pregnancy. I've had multiple first-trimester miscarriages as well, including one in the third month, so I don't tell anyone I'm not close to until 13 weeks. Do I just tell clients who call then that I'm overbooked?

causemommysaid

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 10:42 am
I salute you and would hire you in a second! I think you are awesome.

Unfortunately, I think you will have an uphill battle proving yourself. Most of the world is still sexist even if they wont admit it. You will have to deal with sarcastic and possibly inappropriate (zxual) comments from men when you show up at their homes. Women might be a little better in that regard but many women perpetuate sexism and may be very cynical until you prove your worth.

Additionally you will be judged very harshly if you are a few minutes late or have a scheduling conflict. a repairman can easily say "I have a doctors appointment at that time. Ill be there in a few hours" a repairwoman will be judged as less competent for the same answer.

Also if you are sweating or need a drink etc it will be viewed as a sign of weakness versus a guy.

Just keep these things in mind when you make your decision. 2016 is not as evolved as we think it is.

eschaya

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 2:40 pm
I don't really see why the sexism OP might encounter here is all that different than she would find in any other male-dominated job. And yet no one discourages women from becoming doctors, lawyers, engineers, or even truck-drivers on this basis. A bit of prior awareness is important, but I don't htink it should be a limiting factor.
A few nights ago I went to admit a patient from the emergency department, and the doctor pulls me aside just to give me a "heads up" that the family was being very difficult and skeptical. So he wanted to warn me, thinking that if they acted that way to a male physician, they will probably be even more nasty to a female NP. Well guess what.... the worry was totally unfounded. I went into the room professional, courteous, and confident in who I am, and had no issues and no disrespect whatsoever! Yes, there is sexism around, moreso in the frum community, and even from among women, but I honestly think we make it worse with our hesitance and insecurities. OP - as does everyone (!!!) - nees to be professional, respectful of others, not use other needs as an excuse, up-play to her strengths and the way she will market herself to her clients, and most of, be confident in her value.

Orchid

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 5:04 pm
eschaya wrote:
I don't really see why the sexism OP might encounter here is all that different than she would find in any other male-dominated job. And yet no one discourages women from becoming doctors, lawyers, engineers, or even truck-drivers on this basis. A bit of prior awareness is important, but I don't htink it should be a limiting factor.
A few nights ago I went to admit a patient from the emergency department, and the doctor pulls me aside just to give me a "heads up" that the family was being very difficult and skeptical. So he wanted to warn me, thinking that if they acted that way to a male physician, they will probably be even more nasty to a female NP. Well guess what.... the worry was totally unfounded. I went into the room professional, courteous, and confident in who I am, and had no issues and no disrespect whatsoever! Yes, there is sexism around, moreso in the frum community, and even from among women, but I honestly think we make it worse with our hesitance and insecurities. OP - as does everyone (!!!) - nees to be professional, respectful of others, not use other needs as an excuse, up-play to her strengths and the way she will market herself to her clients, and most of, be confident in her value.

The uphill battle that OP potentially faces in becoming a repair technician is probably the same as women 50 years ago faced when becoming doctors, lawyers and engineers, to use your examples. But considering over 50% of current medical school students are female, you can't really use this as an example of "women who overcame sexism."

OP - whatever you decide, much hatzlacha. Again - I would use you in a heartbeat.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 5:31 pm
Orchid wrote:
The uphill battle that OP potentially faces in becoming a repair technician is probably the same as women 50 years ago faced when becoming doctors, lawyers and engineers, to use your examples. But considering over 50% of current medical school students are female, you can't really use this as an example of "women who overcame sexism."

OP - whatever you decide, much hatzlacha. Again - I would use you in a heartbeat.

Thank you- part of why I posted is that I've met about as many female doctors and medical students (including several roommates) as male; I know female lawyers and law students including women old enough to be my mother; I have two former classmates who are mechanical engineers. I've never met a single female electrician, plumber, or repairperson. I don't think I've heard the word "חשמלאית" in Hebrew.

And from my knowledge of the field, in nursing there can be pretty bad sexism the other way. More of the men I knew in nursing ran into issues with teachers or the administration than didn't. Plenty of nurses seemed to think men are mentally incapable of being good nurses, which is utter nonsense. The worst I've ever seen from a male nurse was an insensitive but clearly non-malicious comment; I regularly saw female nurses making fun of patients behind their backs, and in one really bad case, in front of their faces but in a language the patient didn't understand. (Sorry- I know some great female nurses too- but I'm a little reluctant to accept a lecture on feminism from a nurse I don't know personally.)

causemommysaid

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 9:16 pm
eschaya wrote:

I don't think you can compare the two. There are very very few women who are blue collar workers. In fact I don't know of any.

I am not discouraging her from doing this. I think it is AMAZING! I am just warning her of what to expect.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics