Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
How do you manage CUNY during yomtov

tf

Post Sun, Jun 19 2016, 1:27 pm
I'm considering cuny for my master's program, but am hesitant because I don't know what to do about classes I'll miss during yomtov days. From those of you that did it, what are suggestions. Keep in mind, if I miss class, it reflects my grade.
Also, do they have online courses, so I can do some sitting in classroom and some online?

cnc

Post Sun, Jun 19 2016, 1:30 pm
You can't be penalized for missing class due to religious observance.

tf

Post Sun, Jun 19 2016, 1:41 pm
Plus, how many credits are allowed per semester?

tf

Post Sun, Jun 19 2016, 1:43 pm
Besides being penalized , it'll affect my grade. How did you work that out?

cnc

Post Sun, Jun 19 2016, 1:49 pm
PMed you but for the sake of anyone else looking for info, it's CUNY policy that you can't be penalized.

aqua1

Post Sun, Jun 19 2016, 2:11 pm
They do have some online classes.

nicole81

Post Sun, Jun 19 2016, 2:13 pm
I've done 2 masters degrees at CUNY and never had an issue taking off for yom tov. You can't be penalized for missing those classes, however you are still responsible for all assignments due and keeping up with notes/readings/etc. If you take off and are subsequently late with assignments and fall behind, then you can expect your grades to suffer.

iluvy

Post Sun, Jun 19 2016, 5:57 pm
The New York State Education Law provides that no student shall be expelled or refused admission to an institution of higher education because he or she is unable to attend classes or participate in examinations or study or work requirements on any particular day or days because of religious beliefs. Students who are unable to attend classes on a particular day or days because of religious beliefs will be excused from any examination or study or work requirements. Faculty must make good-faith efforts to provide students absent from class because of religious beliefs equivalent opportunities to make up the work missed; no additional fees may be charged for this consideration.

^ This must be included in every CUNY syllabus.

groovy1224

Post Sun, Jun 19 2016, 6:12 pm
Hundreds, if not thousands, of frum students have gone to cuny graduate schools, (myself included) and they didn't have to be mechalel yom tov to do it. Missing classes is hard, but if you are proactive about communicating with your professors, they will almost certainly be helpful. Be conscientious about making up for missed work, and you will be fine.

debsey

Post Sun, Jun 19 2016, 6:22 pm
I agree w groovy - u have to talk to the professor, sooner rather than later. You will sometimes you will get odd responses - "my grandfather is very religious but he goes to work on Rosh Hashana" kind of things - but if u r polite and willing to do what it takes to make up the work, it should be OK. Personally, I used to come more from the attitude of "you, the all-powerful professor can help me make this work" as opposed to "I know my rights!"

Bruria

Post Sun, Jun 19 2016, 8:31 pm
There are always a few people in class who are also observant and the professors know this, so I would not worry about it at all, really. They are very respectable about religious holidays.

N'sMom

Post Sun, Jun 19 2016, 8:33 pm
I attended a CUNY school and later, Columbia . Nearly every teacher worked with me re yom tov (I think I once had one who was difficult but he was very much the exception). I agree that you need to give them a lot of advance notice. It also helps if you offer to get assignments in in advance (in other words, you don't ask for extra time for the assignment). Most professors will say to just get it in after yom tov, but it helps show you are in good faith and not asking for special privileges. I agree with Debsey that it is better to start out with an attitude of "how can we work together to work this out," than getting antagonistic. But it is important to know that by law you can not be penalized.

honeygold

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 7:07 pm
I went to a CUNY school for 2 yrs and thieving ton tov that was an issue was succos. They give off for Rosh Hashanah and yom Kippur and pesach is spring break.I suggest telling your professors in the beginning if the semester that you can't come in those days due to a Jewish holiday and make sure to make up the classwork and submit any assignments on time. My professors all worked with me and it wasn't an issue. Good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics