Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Some cookies spread and some don't

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Jun 19 2016, 12:07 pm
many times I notice that when I bake cookies, and I use an ice scream scoop to make sure they all come out the same size, some cookies spread out and become a strange shape, and some retain the round shape of the ice cream scoop.
would anyone know why that is?

etky

Post Sun, Jun 19 2016, 12:33 pm
Could be their placement on the cookie sheet itself.
Or perhaps you have hot or cold spots in your oven.

heidi

Post Sun, Jun 19 2016, 1:30 pm
My friend is taking a baking workshop and taught me to put the formed cookies on the sheets into the fridge for 30 minutes before baking.
Works amazingly.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Jun 19 2016, 1:32 pm
heidi wrote:
My friend is taking a baking workshop and taught me to put the formed cookies on the sheets into the fridge for 30 minutes before baking.
Works amazingly.

what is the difference in the cookies when you put them in the fridge versus when you don't?

any other baking tips from your friend?

heidi

Post Sun, Jun 19 2016, 1:41 pm
Something about the fats rehardening. I don't really know but it works so I don't really care Very Happy . Sorry, nothing else-- I'm not a huge baker.

Amarante

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 8:38 am
Ideally cookies just start to bake before the fat melts. This is especially true of f butter cookies because butter has a low melting point. Dough with butter should always been refrigerated before forming and then ideally refrigerated on the sheet before baking.

I don't know anything about cookies made with oil since oil is liquid at room temperature.

heidi

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 9:28 am
Works for me with oil cookies

mha3484

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 9:38 am
I find with oil cookies chilling the dough makes a huge difference. If I use earth balance sticks the cookies keep their shape for the most part.

Amarante

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 9:52 am
mha3484 wrote:
I find with oil cookies chilling the dough makes a huge difference. If I use earth balance sticks the cookies keep their shape for the most part.

Margarine in any form has a higher melting point than butter.

Shortening has a still higher melting point than the others.

FWIW, the type of oil is not an interchangeable in a recipe in order to produce the best results because of the different fat melting points although margarine and butter would be most similar. Subbing oil for butter will not produce the best results. Simple Larry, subbing butter for shortening will also priodice mediocre results.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen