Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
IPOD ettiquete question

sweetnsalty

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 8:59 am
My neighbor one floor under me is always blaring her music from her ipod, so I know she has a great library of songs. I just got an ipod and would love to have her whole library! Is it rude to ask someone else for their entire library to be synced to your device? It's like someones time and work downloading all that music, and you just get it free, in a few seconds!! Rude or OK? (we occasionally borrow ingredients from each other, but that's it)

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 9:05 am
I don't think it hurts to ask, but if she spent money on that collection, she might not want to. paying her for it would likely be illegal. I would start out asking if she'd share a few songs, see how she reacts.

watergirl

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 9:07 am
Yes, its rude, and likely illegal as well. Music is supposed to be purchased - very few albums are free. Once you pay for the music, its yours to put on as many devices that you personally own, but allowing others to download entire albums is usually not ok (depends on the particular artist typically). Artists loose their livelihood when people rip their songs that you would otherwise purchase. I read that MBD (I think it was him, may have been Avraham Freid - it was in an article) say that he is making so little money now because of digital music. People are more likely to plug in a thumb drive and take a few songs than buy an album.

Also, its kind of weird to tell her that you can hear her music, then ask for it. Its just off.

Eta - op, no one is implying that you are intentionally wanting to steal her music. Im sure you arent aware that downloading costs
More than time.

Last edited by watergirl on Mon, Jun 20 2016, 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

youngishbear

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 9:09 am
Do you mean syncing her icloud? That's not likely to happen because there's a lot more personal info than just music on these accounts.

Asking her just for the music files may be considered stealing from the artists.

If all you want is the playlist (just the list of the songs she arranged in a particular order, without the files themselves) that shouldn't be any problem.

Amarante

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 11:50 am
I think most people do share a bit of music but I wouldn't ask for her entire library.

I would probably just say that I really liked her taste in music and would love if she could make a playlist of some of her favorites.

Regarding how you get music onto an iPod, it's a bit complicated because you can't share music from one iPod to another. You have to burn the actual tracks from a computer onto a CD and then import to your ur library on your computer and then add tthe your iPod.

There may be ways for families to share a library but no one is going to share their library with a neighbor because it requires good vying too much access.

agreer

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 1:43 pm
rude

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 3:28 pm
Definitely not nice

Tzedek Tirdof

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 4:45 pm
sweetnsalty wrote:
My neighbor one floor under me is always blaring her music from her ipod, so I know she has a great library of songs. I just got an ipod and would love to have her whole library! Is it rude to ask someone else for their entire library to be synced to your device? It's like someones time and work downloading all that music, and you just get it free, in a few seconds!! Rude or OK? (we occasionally borrow ingredients from each other, but that's it)

I disagree strongly with the other posters who say it's rude or not nice. I would be very flattered if someone liked my strange, eclectic mish-mash of ipod tunes. I would therefore give you my library if you asked and hope that perhaps in the future you might share some nice songs with me. It's not necessarily illegal to synch the tunes to another ipod but of course, you should be mindful of any legalities if she says yes. Perhaps she could burn you a CD, as outdated as that is getting these days.

tigerwife

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 5:06 pm
Regarding legalities/ stealing:

Think of it this way. Suppose you love the Album Tralala. It costs you $9.99 to buy from iTunes. Profits go to iTunes, the original artist, the producer, etc.

You can also get Tralala from your friend who has already purchased it. iTunes, the original artist, producer, etc. are now cheated out of making another sale and earn zero profit.

Suppose 10,000 people are enjoying Tralala's album. 50% just got their songs from neighbors and friends. That's a $49,950 loss for those involved with Tralala. Just something to think about.

bluebird

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 5:27 pm
Are you willing to reimburse her half the cost of the songs you download?

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 2:04 am
Definitely ask her for her list. But purchase them yourself. She'll be flattered that you have been enjoying her music.

Goldie613

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 3:05 am
sweetnsalty wrote:
My neighbor one floor under me is always blaring her music from her ipod, so I know she has a great library of songs.

Is she the type of person who'd be embarrassed that you can hear what's going on in her apartment? Also, she may be working off an online playlist or music site, like pandora or iheart, or one of the Jewish music websites.

Maybe just tell her you're looking for some new music ideas, and ask her if she has any songs that she recommends?

BTW, if you're concerned re downloading costs, I know Mostly Music emails those on their email list free downloads of specific songs from time to time. Link here =
https://mostlymusic.com/

They also have a section of their site with songs available for free to download =
https://mostlymusic.com/collec.....music

MitzadSheini

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 3:57 am
Parashat Noach. The flood. The Torah says that Hamas was the reason for destruction of the world. Rashi's definition of Hamas - stealing. What did they steal- beans. Even just one bean. For this Hashem destroyed the whole world. Please please please don't steal the songs by copying illegally. If you think she would be flattered that you like her music rather than embarrassed that you could hear what was going on upstairs, then ask her for a playlist and buy the songs yourself.

Tzedek Tirdof

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 2:29 pm
tigerwife wrote:
Regarding legalities/ stealing:

Think of it this way. Suppose you love the Album Tralala. It costs you $9.99 to buy from iTunes. Profits go to iTunes, the original artist, the producer, etc.

You can also get Tralala from your friend who has already purchased it. iTunes, the original artist, producer, etc. are now cheated out of making another sale and earn zero profit.

Suppose 10,000 people are enjoying Tralala's album. 50% just got their songs from neighbors and friends. That's a $49,950 loss for those involved with Tralala. Just something to think about.

Yes but we don't know for sure that the person paid for the songs, that's why I think it worth OP asking re: legalities in her case. For example, on my IPod, nearly all my songs were free in a legitimate manner. Many of the songs were garnered from Napster while it was still legal and free and the others were ripped from educational CDs where it states it's ok to record for home use.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics