Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
How much do you think I'd need?
1  2  Next

thnkuHashem2146

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 8:42 am
When would you say I'll start feeding my baby plain cheerios and once that starts how many boxes of cheerios would I go through a month and for how how many months? Thanks so much!!

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 8:45 am
thnkuHashem2146 wrote:
When would you say I'll start feeding my baby plain cheerios and once that starts how many boxes of cheerios would I go through a month and for how how many months? Thanks so much!!

does he eat anything at all? wudnt start with cheerios but once you start with food you could give him (or her) a little and see how he takes it and judge it then

Rachel Shira

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 8:48 am
Generally you start finger foods between 4 and 6 months.
I don't know how anyone could tell you how many Cheerios you'll go through and how fast. Depends how much your baby eats! Assuming a handful here and there for just one baby, it should last a while.

thnkuHashem2146

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 9:01 am
ok thanks! my baby has not actually been born yet but we keep yoshon and I'm starting to stock up (works out timing wise for me to work on it now) so I was just wondering what to expect - so thanks for your help!

yksraya

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 9:03 am
Rachel Shira wrote:
Generally you start finger foods between 4 and 6 months.
I don't know how anyone could tell you how many Cheerios you'll go through and how fast. Depends how much your baby eats! Assuming a handful here and there for just one baby, it should last a while.

A baby starts solids at abt 6 months, some a bit earlier. However, finger food a baby starts at abt 9 months, some at 8 months, depending on how well they digest food and if they mastered picking food up and getting it into mouth.

yksraya

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 9:05 am
thnkuHashem2146 wrote:
ok thanks! my baby has not actually been born yet but we keep yoshon and I'm starting to stock up (works out timing wise for me to work on it now) so I was just wondering what to expect - so thanks for your help!

Don't stock up yet, your baby might not need it before pesach or at around that time... You don't want that much chametz stocked up.

mha3484

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 9:57 am
Not all babies even like cheerios. Mine thinks they are a toy and not a food. 95% of them would end up on the floor and hes a fantastic eater.

AlwaysThinking

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 10:01 am
I doubt you'd need more than one box between now and next pesach if your baby isn't yet born yet... and anyway there are other things you could get. I wouldn't say they are a necessity. My good eater also wasn't mad about them until recently at age 2. Some babies haven't even mastered the pincer grip by close to 1 years old.

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 1:19 pm
both my kids choked on cheerios I do not like them as a beginner food. I would get one box not more.

pause

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 1:47 pm
OMG, this is taking baby showers to a whole new level. Bring on the cheerios, ladies! LOL

Chill, OP, your baby isn't even born yet!!! It's not like your baby won't be able to eat anything else... nor is their a guarantee your baby will be able to eat Cheerios... (allergies, food preferences, development-wise) You're making way too many assumptions of what will happen. It's one thing to buy a stretchie so the newborn has what to wear, but you are REALLY jumping the gun here.

And if all that does add up and things go according to your plan, I'm sure for a 6-9 month old you can get a heter to buy not yoshon...

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 1:50 pm
pause wrote:
OMG, this is taking baby showers to a whole new level. Bring on the cheerios, ladies! LOL

Chill, OP, your baby isn't even born yet!!! It's not like your baby won't be able to eat anything else... nor is their a guarantee your baby will be able to eat Cheerios... (allergies, food preferences, development-wise) You're making way too many assumptions of what will happen. It's one thing to buy a stretchie so the newborn has what to wear, but you are REALLY jumping the gun here.

And if all that does add up and things go according to your plan, I'm sure for a 6-9 month old you can get a heter to buy not yoshon...

Lol
I agree....I thought I'm efficient because I prepare for my kiddushim and vacht nachts before the baby is born but this is a whole new level!!!!.

water_bear88

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 2:18 pm
Pardon my asking if I'm wrong, but isn't yoshon relevant specifically for wheat, and aren't Cheerios wheat-free now?

ETA just looked it up and I was wrong. Thank you for teaching me something! I wouldn't buy more than one box- even if you do baby-led weaning and that's your kid's favorite food, I can't see getting through more than one box. Get two if you really want to be on the safe side- you'll see by Purim if you need to help finish them up.

Last edited by water_bear88 on Mon, Jun 20 2016, 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

flowerpower

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 2:20 pm
There are many other foods besides cherrios to give to a baby. Buy one box and that's all.

thnkuHashem2146

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 8:08 pm
thanks everyone for your advice! sorry if I intimidated some ppl - dw I hvnt prep much at all (just the necessities like car seat) I was just going thru my yoshon list and it popped into my head and had no idea what to expect so thought I'd ask
I think I'll maybe get one small box I'll see
and yes yoshon applies to all 5 grains (wheat, oats, barley, spelt, rye) so cheerios qualify
also we sell chometz gamor so if I stock up a little too much it's not the end of the world (and it's better than being a few weeks before pesach and having no normal snacks in the house or no noodles etc)

fbmommy

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 8:14 pm
aren't there kosher brands (taanug, kemach) that have imitation cheerios? I always assumed they were yoshon

thnkuHashem2146

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 8:18 pm
yea there may be that's true - that is what I'd do if I ran out (and what I do for some items that don't stock up well) just b/c it's a Jewish brand doesn't mean that it's yoshon but I'll def check - thanks for that idea!

thnkuHashem2146

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 8:19 pm
yea there may be that's true - that is what I'd do if I ran out (and what I do for some items that don't stock up well) just b/c it's a Jewish brand doesn't mean that it's yoshon but I'll def check - thanks for that idea!

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 8:33 pm
Jewish brand does not necessarily mean Yoshon.

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 8:37 pm
Why don't you just use gluten free cereal if this is such a big deal? Just don't use Cheerios!

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 10:00 pm
Beshaa tova.

I agree with the other posters that you are way overboard here. There are so many variables. Don't buy food for an unborn baby.

Shop when it's time. Also, all Israeli cereals are yoshon. You'll have plenty of options if and when you need them.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics