Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Check from 3 years ago

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 6:24 pm
3 years ago, I and a friend from OOT split cost of another friend's baby gift. I ordered the gift and shortly afterwards my friend sent me a check for her portion of the gift's cost. I gave the check to DH to deposit. Few days ago I was looking for some documents - and I discover this check - that was never deposited. DH said to tear it up, and forget about it. I am curious what other people would do: forget about it or call up their friend and ask her for a new check ( after apology, of course).

tryinghard

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 6:52 pm
How much was the check for? Unless it's a significant amount of money, I would figure that I managed without it till now... I would be embarrassed (and yes, I have had this happen)

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 7:20 pm
I wouldn't ask for it unless I really needed the money.
Maybe she can't afford it now.
You didn't even know you didn't have it, and were managing fine until then.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 7:45 pm
Forget about it, It's your problem and not fair to remind someone about something from 3 years ago that she probably forgot about.

cnc

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 8:00 pm
I would forget about it.

greenfire

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 8:20 pm
whatever you do - don't cash it ...

I guess it depends how hard up you are on monies & possibly how close you are ~ it might make for an interesting story

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 10:52 pm
OP : it was a $35 check. We are paycheck to paycheck, I am sure the other family is too. I threw out the check already, but I am surprised everyone kind of agrees with my husband. I did not think it would be a big deal to call apologize and ask for a new check. I guess I am wrong Smile

wtvr

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 11:22 pm
If it's a good friend that you are still in contact with, I would tell her the next time I speak to her "omg, such a funny/crazy/embarrassing thing just happened the other day. Remember when we bought a gift for xx? Well I just found the check! How funny?" Or whatever your style of speech is. Chances are she will laugh with you and offer to send it to your again. Maybe through PayPal or quick pay this time...lol

thanks

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 12:20 am
amother wrote:
OP :......... I guess I am wrong Smile

This is not a matter of being right or wrong. Two different opinions, both are "right".

Raisin

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 5:39 am
I would tell her but not ask for the money. If she offers, take it.

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 6:50 am
Funny yesterday I called my doula from 2 years ago because Baruch Hashem I am due to have another baby and she tells Me she found a check from 2 years ago we are taking $300 and she doesn't know if she was even supposed to cash it like it could have been the deposit but we paid another way etc. so she's not even sure if we owe her the money and neither do I. She says she was embarrassed to call me.

I'm happy she told me although at this point I can hardly afford her fee again this time it's $1000. But for $35 I would definitely forget about it. Especially if you know they are also living paycheck to paycheck.

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 10:46 am
Forget about it.
Truth be told, of I was your friend and I got the call about the check, I wouldn't really mind. But I would never ever make such a call).

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 1:21 pm
I would forget about ut. it has happened but I would not ask for another check. I had it once with a 700 dollar check...would not ask for it ever again.

phoebe12

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 5:09 pm
I would let her know you found the check, in case she balances her checkbook each month. She would be able to correct it. I wouldn't ask for the money, though. Personally, I would be very bothered by an outstanding check that wasn't cashed. But I also would have contacted the person who hadn't cashed it after a few months.

Talya

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 6:06 pm
I wouldn't ask for it. Living paycheck to paycheck how would you feel if you found out you are out $35 for a bill you thought you paid and through no fault of your own didn't pay three years ago?

If I were the friend I'd pay if you asked for it but I'd resent you after. Not because you are wrong for wanting your money but because it's unfairly stressing me out.

SRS

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 6:15 pm
I'd just send a note and say, hey, I just found a check that you wrote me and that we never cashed. She will probably send you a new check.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics