Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What do you think about this fundraiser? Tell me I'm wrong.
1  2  3  Next

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 9:08 pm
My boys have been incredibly fortunate to go to a certain yeshiva in the [certain area removed] area. I think many will figure out what yeshiva I'm talking about but I still won't name them. They are having a fundraiser now trying to get people to donate 1.6 million. This money will be matched by some big donors 3x making the actual total 6.4 million. Furthermore they added a new wrinkle to the game this time by saying that if they are unable to raise the full 1.6 million within a certain amount of time, not only will the money not be matched but it will be fully refunded to the donors and the yeshiva will be left with nothing.

I feel that the yeshiva always talks about honesty, ethics, integrity, ect. I'm just not buying it. I feel the fix is in. There's no way that the yeshiva will refund, say 1.4 million to people who voluntarily donated it. I'm sure tomorrow, when the fundraiser ends, they will undoubtedly announce that the 1.6 million was achieved even if it's not. Perhaps they have people in place that at the last minute will make up any shortfall and get them to their goal. One thing is for sure: They are selling this campaign on the premise that if they don't reach 1.6 million they will get nothing. I don't believe that that is a possibility on any level and they are therefore selling something a little dishonest. Am I wrong?

cnc

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 9:11 pm
It's not the yeshiva that will refund it.
It's the terms of the program/website that they are using to fundraise.
If the yeshiva does not reach the goal then the donations don't go through and the program automatically refunds all the donations.

cnc

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 9:12 pm
Also they can't just announced that they reached the goal if they haven't. All donations are received and logged through an unaffiliated website.

Rachel Shira

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 9:15 pm
I assume they're doing a Charidy campaign. The basis of it is, as you said, that they have a goal of a certain amount and matchers for each donation, and there are people working like crazy behind the scenes to do marketing for the campaign and get donations. And the Charidy people vet each business that wants to do a campaign to make sure it's viable, has supporters, and would be successful.
(If it's not Charidy, its a similar concept and my points still stand).
I don't know why you would think that they might have people lined up to donate at the last minute, but even if they do, why does it bother you?

cm

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 9:22 pm
I'm not familiar with your school, but matching grants are very common. Major donors want to give to viable organizations with community support. This is a pretty common setup. If it is run properly, there will be no funny business.

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 9:24 pm
As others said its Charidy or a similar website.

Before it starts they need to have the money lined up to make the campaign work. So if they don't make the goal people will swipe their credit cards (who give the money anyways) to make sure they meet their goal before it ends.

It isn't dishonest because those people are really giving the money. They just make sure they won't loose anything before starting.

No campaign has ever failed because of the work done beforehand to line up the money. Even if it is prearranged the school had to work hard to arrange it. Most likely they are going to try to avoid to tap into that money so they will get it after and setup call centers and call all parents and potential donors and remind them to donate so they don't have to use that money. it really puts the organization to work.

Its a successful model that has brought in lots of money for many schools and organizations.

jeweled

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 9:25 pm
Of course they have people "lined up." The people who are willing to match 1.6 will for sure donate up to 1.6. Its a clever fundraiser, all for tzedaka, so what's the problem? Also, when I say of course, I have no idea if I'm right Smile But it's a good theory.

jeweled

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 9:28 pm
Slategray we crossposted. But exactly what I'm tring to say.

cnc

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 9:28 pm
amother wrote:

Before it starts they need to have the money lined up to make the campaign work. So if they don't make the goal people will swipe their credit cards (who give the money anyways) to make sure they meet their goal before it ends.

It isn't dishonest because those people are really giving the money. They just make sure they won't loose anything before starting.

No campaign has ever failed because of the work done beforehand to line up the money. Even if it is prearranged the school had to work hard to arrange it. Most likely they are going to try to avoid to tap into that money so they will get it after and setup call centers and call all parents and potential donors and remind them to donate so they don't have to use that money. it really puts the organization to work.

Its a successful model that has brought in lots of money for many schools and organizations.

I've seen campaigns that have failed and the money was refunded.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 10:35 pm
amother wrote:

True- but isn't it disingenuous to try to get me to donate this minute on the premise that if they can't get more money immediately they might lose everything they raised when they know it's really in their pocket already?

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 10:37 pm
amother wrote:
True- but isn't it disingenuous to try to get me to donate this minute on the premise that if they can't get more money immediately they might lose everything they raised when they know it's really in their pocket already?

As someone I know says, they never had an unsuccessful campaign so I dont need to worry about donating.

Rachel Shira

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 10:38 pm
Are you donating on the premise that you'll get your money back and you'll have the mitzvah of "donating" without the expense? Because otherwise, I don't understand what you're saying.

Optione

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 10:45 pm
amother wrote:

1. It's $1.6 million total, after it's matched.
2. Any donation is a hold on the card holder's card and only clears if the goal is met- like when you rent a car and they put a $250 hold until the card is returned.
3. If you look on charidy's website, you will see some attempts that were not met by other organizations.
4. Walk into the Diamond and you will see their call center and all of the people that are working on this campaign. It's one of their many funds, not just "give to the school," so not all of their major funders are giving to this specific $1.6 million attempt. As an example, I saw that one of their MAJOR benefactors gave $100, since this fund is normally not where he puts his money when giving to the school.

I hope this gives you a little bit of clarity.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 10:57 pm
Optione wrote:
1. It's $1.6 million total, after it's matched.
2. Any donation is a hold on the card holder's card and only clears if the goal is met- like when you rent a car and they put a $250 hold until the card is returned.
3. If you look on charidy's website, you will see some attempts that were not met by other organizations.
4. Walk into the Diamond and you will see their call center and all of the people that are working on this campaign. It's one of their many funds, not just "give to the school," so not all of their major funders are giving to this specific $1.6 million attempt. As an example, I saw that one of their MAJOR benefactors gave $100, since this fund is normally not where he puts his money when giving to the school.

I hope this gives you a little bit of clarity.

It's 1.6 million BEFORE the 3x match totalling 6.4 million. I realize the premise of the idea is certainly possible. That is the fundraiser is set up in a way that if it doesnt reach a certain predesignated amount,the money is refunded. I'm simply saying that in this specific case with this specific yeshiva, I don't believe that the sense of urgency to reach their goal so that the 3x match kicks in is legitimate. I have a feeling there is a plan in place to ensure the goal is met and if its not reached by standard methods, private individuals will make up the difference.

Optione

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 11:02 pm
amother wrote:
ni 1.6 million BEFORE the 3x match totalling 6.4 million.

I guarantee that you are misinformed. Look at the donors- is says the name and EFFECTIVE donation. If you would find my name in that list, next to it says $288. I gave $72. In case math isn't your thing, $72 x 4 (me plus 3 matches) is $288. You don't have to like it, (and there are things about it with which I disagree) but I just feel that you should have accurate information before you let it get to you.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 11:16 pm
Optione wrote:
I guarantee that you are misinformed. Look at the donors- is says the name and EFFECTIVE donation. If you would find my name in that list, next to it says $288. I gave $72. In case math isn't your thing, $72 x 4 (me plus 3 matches) is $288. You don't have to like it, (and there are things about it with which I disagree) but I just feel that you should have accurate information before you let it get to you.

Fine, so they are trying to raise 400k and have it matchef 3x and end up with 1.6 million. The amount they're trying to raise is entirely off point. The point simply is they are sending out texts and emails detailing the urgency to send in money asap so they don't forfeit everything. All I'm saying is that I dont believe that is really a possibility. And that's a big part of their pitch to raise money.

Rachel Shira

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 11:21 pm
amother wrote:
Fine, so they are trying to raise 400k and have it matchef 3x and end up with 1.6 million. The amount they're trying to raise is entirely off point. The point simply is they are sending out texts and emails detailing the urgency to send in money asap so they don't forfeit everything. All I'm saying is that I dont believe that is really a possibility. And that's a big part of their pitch to raise money.

Well, yes, because people don't donate reliably if there's no urgency.
Don't make a donation if you don't want to, but this is a perfectly legitimate way to raise money for their school.

Optione

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 11:22 pm
amother wrote:

I used to have the same view as you to the charidy.com "catch" regarding the urgency. Then someone enlightened me that it's no different than any other fundraising phase/approach. 2 that come to mind are Chinese auctions and 5ks- neither has the urgency factor, but they have other strings attached...

momX4

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 11:58 pm
I have once watched a campaign with Charidy. I saw that the organization that the money was being raised for give a big donation towards the end to help the campaign close successfully.

groovy1224

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 11:59 pm
amother wrote:

The amount they're trying to raise is relevent, though. 400k for a yeshiva of this size is totally doable, so they know they can say 'we have to do it in 24 hours or it's nothing' because they know it's basically a given that they'll get there. So it's really just a marketing ploy.

Basically I'm saying they don't have to resort to trickery- they can take the 'risk' without the worry. And people are being especially generous because this money is for the rabbeim and staff who are are generally well loved.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics