Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
GRRR...

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 10:49 pm
VENT

So I belong to a specialty legal association (meaning, a legal association that caters to a sub-specialty) and it's that time of year when they send out notice of new member applicants, and state that if anyone has any objection, to write in and state why... I'm relatively new myself, so I was reading the list to see if I new any recent grads, when I spotted his name. Not a recent grad, but I guess he finally decided to join.
I met him at an alum event at my school a few months after I had graduated, and like a good networking newbie, I asked for his contacts, and met him at his office. (I had a job, but wasn't enamored with my situation, and still looking to network). I was bit shocked that he was talking about his clients and showing me emails without making me sign any confidentiality clause (totally irresponsible and unethical). That should have been red flag number one but I am kind of overly scrupulous about confidentiality, so I kind of judged him inwardly but thought okay, whatever, wouldn't work for him, but may have good leads anyway. He asked if we wanted to go get drinks instead of just talking in his office and I said sure. In my field, it is very normal for attorneys to grab a beer, etc. I've done it at many networking events or one-on-one with no incident.
Anyway, I had a drink, maybe two but definitely not more. I noticed he was drinking a lot, and then getting kind of inappropriate in the way that he was talking to me about his marriage and his wife, but I was still in "networking" mode, aware that he was opening up more than he should but it wasn't that nuts.
Anyway, at some point, he said something very very graphic to me and I couldn't believe it, I just got up and walked out. Warning, graphic:
Hidden: 

(He said, "From the moment I met you, I knew I wanted to stick my tongue down your p****." So disgusting, I can't believe I'm sharing, but I just want to be clear that I am not "misinterpreting anything")

So disgusting and how dare he. I'm a newbie in the field, trying to get advice, etc. and he's just treating me like a piece of meat. I walked out, and tried to get my bearings, and figure out where public transportation was. I walked a couple of blocks and hid in a doorway just to look at maps on my phone, and I guess he followed me, and started apologizing, and I just told him to get away from me. He started talking again, and I was like, "Are you going to leave or do I need to?" He left. I asked directions from someone and went home and never heard from him again.
(Could I report him to anyone? Potentially but to what end? To my school, to the people I know in this association? Nothing would happen because it's not technically a crime. Nothing would come of it except that my name would be there, having reported someone, and what if something more serious came up down the line? Then I'd just be the woman who's starting trouble.)
He was out of my mind, some distant memory from over a year ago, when I get this email...and his name is on it. And there's nothing I can do. Sure, I can object to his joining because of what happened, but I honestly don't think that's cause enough to deny him, and the reality is, no matter how unfair it is, reporting someone for anything is always going to reflect on you. You attract drama, you attract conflict, you make sh*t up...whatever.
So I'm just going to sit here and be mad that this dirtbag exists and that I had to be reminded of that fact.

UnFarvosNischt

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 11:33 pm
Eww,what a disgusting man... don't you have a way to make an anonymous complain about him?

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 11:41 pm
UnFarvosNischt wrote:
Eww,what a disgusting man... don't you have a way to make an anonymous complain about him?

I think this IS my anonymous complaint, because I don't think an anonymous complaint anywhere else would matter anyway. Sad It's not an actual crime and they can't actually penalize him because some random anonymous person reported him (and Idk what they could do other than a warning at most, even if I reported him personally).
But I do appreciate your empathy, and thanks for the hugs everyone!! It really does help. Hug

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 11:56 pm
I'm so sorry you had to go through that. Serious dirt bag.
I think you handled yourself perfectly and I'm glad you got away.
Hug

UnFarvosNischt

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 12:03 am
This is so sad! Where I live there is now a big story about s-xual harrassment that have been revealed (between deputies blabla) and they're saying the same thing you're complaining about, the fact that it's not easy at all for women to report such a thing because it'll affect them maybe more than the actual event. Like if they loose their job because of it etc.

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 12:37 am
Not speaking from experience, so you can dismiss this, but...
Why not make the complaint? If he did this to you, chances are he's done it more than once. You could help create a paper trail so that if/when he crosses the line into illegal harassment, it will be easier to establish a pattern of behavior.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics