Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Broken doll within a week - store refuses to return
1  2  Next

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 8:37 am
I bought a doll for my daughters birthday and within one week the body was torn and ruined. I bought it back to the small reputable toy store where I purchased it to return it and they told me they have sold hundreds of those dolls and no one ever returned one. They blamed my 4 yr old dtr and said It must have been that my daughter mistreated it. I'm sure she did throw it and abuse it but shouldn't it last more then 6 days? It was about $20 which isn't very expensive but I am really annoyed that the doll is ruined in such a short time and the store blamed my dtr for it and refused to return it! I was thinking of putting in an official complaint with a consumer affairs organisation where I live that deals with this but am worried that it may be a chilul Hashem. What would you do?

flowerpower

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 8:40 am
Did you speak to the owner or a worker? Have they been giving you good service in the past? I would go back a different day and try my luck again.

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 8:47 am
If the person who refused the exchange was a clerk, go up the ladder to the owner or manager. Unless you frequently return items, the store is acting in a way that is bad for business, because you are now not likely to recommend it to others or to shop there in the future.

The Happy Wife

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 8:52 am
If you know your daughter threw it and abused it, I don't think it's fair to try to return it. Also, it could be good for your daughter to see that when you're not careful with your toys, they can break and then you won't have them to play with anymore.

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 8:55 am
Op here: I spoke originally to the clerk who said that she's never had a problem with the dolls. Then the owner came out and said that he had the same doll on the shelf for 2 years and nothing ever happened to it so my dtr must have ruined it. I was really annoyed when he said this. This is a high end very expensive toy store and I intentionally bought it there because I respected it and thought they valued the quality of the items. I told him I always recommend this store and I am very disappointed that he will not return it and that maybe this doll is faulty. He insisted that it must have been my dtr and he's right I'm sure she did abuse it but for it to tear after 6 days is ridiculous. It's a very thin fabric on the body with a very heavy head and limbs. I'm sure other dolls have torn but I think where I live people would not have returned it. It's not the culture here. If it would have been toys r us it would have been no problem. I'm so annoyed!

cnc

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 8:56 am
The Happy Wife wrote:
If you know your daughter threw it and abused it, I don't think it's fair to try to return it. Also, it could be good for your daughter to see that when you're not careful with your toys, they can break and then you won't have them to play with anymore.

I agree.
It doesn't sound like it was a defective item.
It sounds like the doll was abused (torn body...).

imasoftov

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 8:58 am
amother wrote:
It's not the culture here

That's quite evident.

Busy as a bee

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 8:58 am
Speak to your credit card company if you purchased it on one.
Alot of them have something called purchase protection that if something breaks or is stolen within the first 90 days they will refund the purchase price (with limits obvs)
The benefit of this is that they don't take the money back from the store. They just give you a refund. Its a win win. Obvs don't take advantage but when I by mistake spilled bleach on a brand new 70$ skirt I called and told them exactly what happened (that it was my fault but I just got the skirt less then 3 weeks before) and I got my refund etc.

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 9:02 am
Busy as a bee wrote:
Alot of them have something called purchase protection that if something breaks or is stolen within the first 90 days they will refund the purchase price (with limits obvs)
The benefit of this is that they don't take the money back from the store. They just give you a refund. Its a win win. Obvs don't take advantage but when I by mistake spilled bleach on a brand new 70$ skirt I called and told them exactly what happened (that it was my fault but I just got the skirt less then 3 weeks before) and I got my refund etc.

I did buy it with a cc that's a good idea.

sky

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 9:54 am
If the toy is meant for a 4 year old then it is meant to be abused, dragged around.

I bought my daughter a doll at a local small toy store and within one day the head and arm separated from the body. Same thing - thin fabric - heavy limbs. I didn't even bother going back because I knew they would do nothing. (I'm guessing this is why there arent many complaints) I used some thread and sewed it back together. I've started only buying from big box stores because I've had this experience one too many times and they will take it back.

(like bought a baby doll furniture set that was obviously a pice of junk once it came out of the box - the store has it high up so you can't reach it to touch, from afar it looks great. I was so happy when I saw one piece was slightly damaged. I put it in the box and returned that day. I couldn't believe it when the manager inspected every piece in the box on a same day return and would only take it back once he saw the damaged piece.)

funmother

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 11:29 am
Return it. $1-5 is junk, $20 should not break so fast. Store cheated you .You will be doing a favor to all the other customers that are too scared to return.

Amarante

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 11:31 am
Busy as a bee wrote:

I'm not commenting on whether it is appropriate to make a claim with the credit company.

However, the money is withheld from the merchant if a claim is made. That's why credit card companies are happy to do it since it doesn't cost them anything and gives users a reason to charge.

cnc

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 12:03 pm
Amarante wrote:
I'm not commenting on whether it is appropriate to make a claim with the credit company.

However, the money is withheld from the merchant if a claim is made. That's why credit card companies are happy to do it since it doesn't cost them anything and gives users a reason to charge.

No it's not. That's when you dispute a charge.
With return protection and purchase protection the CC company covers the cost.

das

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 12:09 pm
Everything that gets abused will break. Children need to treat their toys with care. The best quality clothes, toys, shoes, appliances will break when abused. I don't see why you think it's the store's problem.

Amarante

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 12:22 pm
cnc wrote:
No it's not. That's when you dispute a charge.
With return protection and purchase protection the CC company covers the cost.

You're correct. I assumed it was for a dispute since not all credit cards have this protection. Only my AMEX card has the extended warranty.

happy12

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 12:57 pm
Call the company.In no way is this the stores issue. they sold you a sealed opackage and they should not lose out for your daughter's negligence. If the product was lousy the company should replace it.

Busy as a bee

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 2:25 pm
Amarante wrote:

I happen to know for a fact that no credit card takes back the money with purchase protection.
Thats why I said to make a claim like this and NOT to dispute it.

Also not just Amex cards offer this.
Most Discover cards do
All of my chase visa cards do

alot of citi cards and capital one cards do
it may be called diff things
(purchase security, purchase assurance) but you would be surprised how many credit card companies offer it these days.

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 2:43 pm
Being torn and ruined sounds a little extreme to claim it's the store's fault.
Even the most expensive clothing will rip if you tear it.

sky

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 2:58 pm
Personally I don't expect the limbs of a doll to fall out of the material soon after buying it, especially if designed for young children. Because I had it happen I saw it was clearly a design issue.

As a consumer I don't want to to have to do work to get a faulty item fixed. That is the store's responsibility. If I buy a bread machine and it breaks a week later I expect the store to handle it. I shouldn't have to be busy shipping it back, getting labels, waiting for my money back or a replacement etc. At walmart I would be taken care of, a small store not. (per my experience).

According to halacha I believe it is the same. I once bought an outfit that was clearly defective. After 2 wears and no wash it was coming apart. The seller wanted me to speak to the company. my rav said I'm entitled to get my money back immediately and it is her responsibility to deal with it if the item was defective.

yo'ma

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 8:11 am
happy12 wrote:
Call the company.In no way is this the stores issue. they sold you a sealed opackage and they should not lose out for your daughter's negligence. If the product was lousy the company should replace it.

This.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics