Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
English fluency programs for Yiddish speaking kids

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 11:20 am
anyo e k ow any computer games/ programsthatcan teach English to my Yiddish speaking kids ages 3 and 5

pesek zman

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 11:49 am
Can't you just Speak to them in English ?

cnc

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 11:58 am
pesek zman wrote:
Can't you just Speak to them in English ?

This is the best method.
Immersing them in the language.

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 11:59 am
Anyone else?

asmileaday

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 12:24 pm
Check Google play for educational games. Start with abc and then move on from there. I like all apps by intellijoy. I got a cheap tablet (not so worth it, it's slow and takes like a day to charge but I wasn't ready to spend).
I installed kids place which blocks everything and only allows the apps you choose.

I'm thinking of getting some jewish English dvds because I feel that listening to the language will give them better fluency. But I haven't gotten around to investing in that yet (anyone knows where I can borrow them from? Local jewish library?) I also have not figured out yet how to set limits, how often they can watch, which days etc... I know my kids and they will become addicted. I'd rather they do some good exercise and ride their bikes and run around outside. So that's another reason why I didn't get it yet.

I also found that when they watched Barney videos which has a very clear easy English they picked up a lot of words. But they've only watched like once or twice (with my supervision on youtube).

I'll be watching this thread for more ideas.

(I do speak to them in English but not all the time.)

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 1:16 pm
asmileaday wrote:
Check Google play for educational games. Start with abc and then move on from there. I like all apps by intellijoy. I got a cheap tablet (not so worth it, it's slow and takes like a day to charge but I wasn't ready to spend).
I installed kids place which blocks everything and only allows the apps you choose.

I'm thinking of getting some jewish English dvds because I feel that listening to the language will give them better fluency. But I haven't gotten around to investing in that yet (anyone knows where I can borrow them from? Local jewish library?) I also have not figured out yet how to set limits, how often they can watch, which days etc... I know my kids and they will become addicted. I'd rather they do some good exercise and ride their bikes and run around outside. So that's another reason why I didn't get it yet.

I also found that when they watched Barney videos which has a very clear easy English they picked up a lot of words. But they've only watched like once or twice (with my supervision on youtube).

I'll be watching this thread for more ideas.

(I do speak to them in English but not all the time.)

Thanks!
I also speak to them in English but they hate it and make me repeat in Yiddish. Wanted something fun.

DVDs are great, but they help with understanding- not speaking it.

Maya

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 1:21 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks!
I also speak to them in English but they hate it and make me repeat in Yiddish. Wanted something fun.

DVDs are great, but they help with understanding- not speaking it.

On the contrary, actually. Just seeing words will teach them the vocabulary, but they need to hear it spoken in conversation in order to really grasp how the language is used.

My kid learned all his English from watching kids shows.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 2:06 pm
If they watch clean kids cartoons then chances are that they'll pick up some language from there. Curious George, Super why.... Lots of cute ones out there

asmileaday

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 3:23 pm
Can anyone help me out with what guidelines to set for watching shows? Only weekends? Or set amount of time a day?

Maya

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 4:06 pm
asmileaday wrote:
Can anyone help me out with what guidelines to set for watching shows? Only weekends? Or set amount of time a day?

During the school year it was weekends only and on days off. Now in the summer I'll allow some time during the week, maybe in rainy or very hot days when we can't play outside, or times when "I" need a break Smile

watergirl

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 4:17 pm
flowerpower wrote:
If they watch clean kids cartoons then chances are that they'll pick up some language from there. Curious George, Super why.... Lots of cute ones out there

I love Super Why as much as the next guy, and my kids watch it. But - I am not Yiddish speaking and I'm not trying to use it to teach English. Kids will pick up certain slang phrases and it will be obvious that they learned it by watching shows.
Op - english immersion is the best. Speak in only english and even if they hate it - stand firm. They cant "make" you do anything. You are in charge ans soon enough, they will learn that its english at home.

Deep

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 4:24 pm
watergirl wrote:
Speak in only english and even if they hate it - stand firm. They cant "make" you do anything. You are in charge ans soon enough, they will learn that its english at home.

It doesn't have to be all or nothing. You can start off by slowly using more English in your day to day interactions with them. For example "Let's go to the park! Ver vill gein in park?". This is a more gentle form of immersion. Slowly build up your use of English without them feeling frustrated by it. True immersion also requires a lot of body language and very simple, clear speech. Good luck!

Zehava

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 4:25 pm
My kids learnt to recognize the alphabet from abc kids tv on youtube. Plus me pointing out the abcs every chance I get. I also let them watch classic kids songs and I read them a bedtime story every single night.
They've picked up quite a bit so far and even try to speak it sometimes.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 4:57 pm
My kids know the abc's and understand the language pretty well. I encourage them to read English books with me close by, so that they can ask for the definitions of more difficult words if they get stuck.

I'm happy with their progress but... their accents are terrible!
I can't seem to get them to say the 'th' sound correctly however much I try.

Zehava

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 5:05 pm
My kids are learning the accent young. I think that makes a big difference

flowerpower

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 5:50 pm
How does a kid get the accent to begin with? I'm curious. It's inborn?

Deep

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 6:02 pm
Studies have shown that children who are exposed to a language before age 8 can acquire true fluency and a proper accent. It does take time to hone the English "th". I live in a very multicultural neighourhood and many ethnicities do not pronounce "three" correctly....

cnc

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 6:12 pm
flowerpower wrote:
How does a kid get the accent to begin with? I'm curious. It's inborn?

No. It's what their exposed to.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics