Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
6 Month Old Not Cooing

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 3:03 pm
My 6 month old baby is not cooing or babbling, though is crawling/creeping, sits independently, and smiles.

Do you think it's a cause for concern that he's not making any sounds? Aren't babies supposed to be babbling already at this age? He reacts to sound and returns smiles, but is very quiet and won't make any sounds unless he is crying.

My well visit is not for another month and I was wondering if this would warrant a call to a doctor.

Anyone?

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 3:28 pm
Have you had his hearing checked? That would be my first question...

Also, is he related? Does he make eye contact, is he playful??

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 4:11 pm
yes take him to the doctor. If its fine, why do you need to be nervous for another month?

If its not, the sooner you know, the sooner you can help.

There are issues other than hearing loss that would cause this. or it could be your baby is quiet. A doctor can differetiate.

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 5:13 pm
Was he making any sounds/vocalizations at 4 months? like the /k/ and /g/ sounds?

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 5:14 pm
FYI, even though it is a good idea to check hearing, hearing impaired and deaf children DO babble at normal age. But then they stop.

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 5:24 pm
Op here. He interacts with others (to be more specific smiles back when I smile at him, will occasionally giggle when I tickle), but never did make any sounds. Definitely hears because reacts to his name.

At last well visit, when I expressed concern they said that he may be delayed and will hopefully start cooing soon. He is quite advanced now in other aspects, but is still not cooing.

Guess I'll call the doctor; it's just time-consuming...I wanted to hear first if anyone else experienced this with their kids.

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 5:27 pm
amother wrote:
Was he making any sounds/vocalizations at 4 months? like the /k/ and /g/ sounds?

No

MyUsername

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 5:45 pm
It sounds like a red flag to me. Could be hearing-related, could be speech-related. The earlier it gets treated the better though. Hopefully something that isn't a big deal to treat. But the earlier you get referred to evaluation, the better off he'll be in the long run.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 5:51 pm
Mine didn't either. Nor did she coo or babble at 8 or 10 or 12 months. I knew she was hearing because she startled and responded to her name or my voice. Doctor kept putting me off when I finally just got her evaluated without dr's approval and got her speech therapy. She is now 19 months and b'h doing amazing.

PassionFruit

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 5:54 pm
Get her checked out. Sounds like a speech problem to me.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 5:56 pm
amother wrote:
My 6 month old baby is not cooing or babbling, though is crawling/creeping, sits independently, and smiles.

Do you think it's a cause for concern that he's not making any sounds? Aren't babies supposed to be babbling already at this age? He reacts to sound and returns smiles, but is very quiet and won't make any sounds unless he is crying.

My well visit is not for another month and I was wondering if this would warrant a call to a doctor.

Anyone?

My eldest son skipped babbling totally and started saying real words and sentences much earlier than average. Lack of babbling is not necessarily a red flag.

Reesa

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 6:33 pm
amother wrote:
My eldest son skipped babbling totally and started saying real words and sentences much earlier than average. Lack of babbling is not necessarily a red flag.

So did mine. My most intelligent child didn't make one sound. She didn't cry out loud and didn't babble a sound. I was nervous but the doctor wasn't concerned. She's six and didn't need any therapies.

amother
Red

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 6:59 pm
Check it out. I had one like that, and he turned out to be autistic. BH, it's very mild and you wouldn't know it unless I told you because we started all the therapies before he was 1 (the diagnosis came much later, but there was enough concern then to start therapy). Other seem to have had the experience that it was nothing, but better to get it checked out and have it be nothing than to ignore it and have it be something. When it's something, it's always better to start addressing it earlier.

bnm

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 7:05 pm
amother wrote:

I would get it checked out. Lack of babbling IS a major red flag. One of mine didn't babble. He got approved for speech and other therapies by 15 months. He did also have other delays. He needed glasses and tubes so he wasn't hearing and seeing well. He also has apraxia.

dimyona

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 7:15 pm
amother wrote:

Same here. He still has a very shy and quiet personality, but talks full sentences and has a very advanced vocabulary at only two years old.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 10:15 pm
I don't think you could go wrong by checking it out. Likely its nothing but when dd was little and didn't make a lot of sounds everyone told me don't worry about it, she's still little, there own kids didn't start talking till much later.... at first I listened to them, but then decided to trust my own instincts and got her tested a few months later. She was diagnosed with apraxia, b'h now a few years later she's doing pretty well, but I always felt a drop bad that I waited those few extra months since any help they get when their young makes such a big difference.

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 10:19 pm
Lemon please don't feel guilty. Hashem let you seek help exactly when you were meant to. It's ok.

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 2:34 pm
amother wrote:
I don't think you could go wrong by checking it out. Likely its nothing but when dd was little and didn't make a lot of sounds everyone told me don't worry about it, she's still little, there own kids didn't start talking till much later.... at first I listened to them, but then decided to trust my own instincts and got her tested a few months later. She was diagnosed with apraxia, b'h now a few years later she's doing pretty well, but I always felt a drop bad that I waited those few extra months since any help they get when their young makes such a big difference.

Lemon amother, did your baby have any other delays? Or just speech? Did she make any sounds while crying? How did they diagnose?
I'm taking my baby next week and want to be prepared for the visit.
I'm happy to hear that she is doing well now.

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 7:48 pm
amother wrote:
Lemon please don't feel guilty. Hashem let you seek help exactly when you were meant to. It's ok.

Thanks

amother wrote:
Lemon amother, did your baby have any other delays? Or just speech? Did she make any sounds while crying? How did they diagnose?
I'm taking my baby next week and want to be prepared for the visit.
I'm happy to hear that she is doing well now.

I tested her at about a 1.5 years old. This was my oldest so I didn't know what to expect plus I'm usually very laid back about this things, so I didn't have any concerns till she was one.

By then I started to get a drop concerned. She was making some noise, but just plain noise - no worlds or things like bababa or mama and ect... everyone brushed off my concerns (even my doctor - I went back later - around 2 - and saw another doctor at the practice who was very concerned). So I did nothing. a few months later though, I decided to ignore everyone and just get her evaluated by EI. She was approved for speech right away and did get a little PT (she had very minor delays there nothing major). By the time the evaluations were done, and we found therapist dd was around 21 months.

B'h I got a great speech therapist. She told me that she thought it was apraxia but I wasn't able to get an official diagnose since she was so young, I later get a diagnose from a neurologist when dd was a little older.

She is doing a lot better now, although we still have a way to go. We went through some really frustrating times when I couldn't understand her. It was really hard on her. That made me feel bad that I hadn't started working on her till she was close to 2. but b'h we are starting to get there, plus like the above poster said, this was meant to be.

If you do get your baby evaluated by EI though, I don't think they'll give you any speech before a year.

Anyways I don't think you should be to nervous - chances are good that its nothing, but just in case, it doesn't hurt to be ahead of the game.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics