Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Raised Hassidic, Now a Doctor
1  2  Next

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 9:53 am
http://www.jewishvoicesnj.org/......html

I grew up with her! The article is quite accurate, except for the assertion that the highest career goal for Hassidic girls is to teach preschool Rolling Eyes . Among the girls we went to high school with, there are high school teachers, therapists and entrepreneurs. I myself am a data analyst for a large investment firm. Also, the vast majority of women hold college degrees. She herself left Montreal at the age of 19 with two years of college credits under her belt. Otherwise, this article is an accurate portrayal of her remarkable journey. Way to go Etty!

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 10:00 am
While it is lovely that this woman became a doctor, Im not really following why this is such an amazing thing. She is no longer chassidish (it says as much in the article) so what makes this story anything special or unique from any other frum woman going to medical school and succeeding?
Again, good for her for following her dreams, but I still dont understand why this is story worthy.

cnc

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 10:02 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
While it is lovely that this woman became a doctor, Im not really following why this is such an amazing thing. She is no longer chassidish (it says as much in the article) so what makes this story anything special or unique from any other frum woman going to medical school and succeeding?
Again, good for her for following her dreams, but I still dont understand why this is story worthy.

Yes.
I know people that were raised chassidish, stayed chassidish and are now a doctor.

happybeingamom

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 10:03 am
A positive story I enjoyed reading it.

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 10:03 am
Ummm, nothing new.
My mother (who is bh now in her mid 60's) also grew up very viznitz in a well known Montreal family and guess what, she's a psychologist! Gasp, with a PhD from Brooklyn college. She was going to pursue med school as well, but in the end did not. And she has many friends from Montreal too that also went to college and had careers.

I don't know why these articles need to make it sound like no one else has done this, these ppl are amazing trailblazers for getting out of the sheltered lifeel and going to college. I mean, really. This has happened a long time ago already. Rolling Eyes

Anon bec of family details.

cnc

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 10:04 am
It happens to be a nice positive article.

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 10:04 am
And yes, my mother remained chassidish

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 10:06 am
My husband's reaction was, " a pity that she didn't stay chassidish, it would have been a bigger accomplishment!". While true, she has traveled her own journey and found her place while remaining very connected to her family and community.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 11:56 am
amother wrote:
http://www.jewishvoicesnj.org/news/2016-06-22/Local_News/Raised_Hassidic_Cherry_Hill_mother_breaks_ground_b.html

I grew up with her! The article is quite accurate, except for the assertion that the highest career goal for Hassidic girls is to teach preschool Rolling Eyes . Among the girls we went to high school with, there are high school teachers, therapists and entrepreneurs. I myself am a data analyst for a large investment firm. Also, the vast majority of women hold college degrees. She herself left Montreal at the age of 19 with two years of college credits under her belt. Otherwise, this article is an accurate portrayal of her remarkable journey. Way to go Etty!

she said she graduated with an associates before she left montreal.. isnt that 2 yrs of college?

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 12:11 pm
amother wrote:
she said she graduated with an associates before she left montreal.. isnt that 2 yrs of college?

Yes. I was referring to the part of the article that claims that college was not even contemplated. I wanted to clarify that her associate's was not an exception, but rather the norm.

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 12:21 pm
It's articles like this that perpetuate negative unhelpful stereotypes.
And makes it sound like you need to give up on your background to accomplish anything, which is not true at all.

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 12:27 pm
As others have pointed out she is no longer chasidish and therefore it's not that unusual that she became a doctor. I don't know why some are saying that chasidish doctors are a regular occurrence. It's definitely not. If you take boro park, which is 65% chasidish (I might be way off on this) certainly the percentage of doctors, dentists, and other professionals that are chasidish is far less than 65%. Also, I don't know why the op had to say "the vast majority of chasidish woman hold college degrees". Who are you kidding???

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 1:10 pm
She's a Farkas girl, right? I know her brothers in Monsey, her baby sister Bassie, and have met her parents too. They aren't your typical chasidish family; they're way more open minded than your average, 'women driving and not shaving, open minded chasidish family'. Her oldest brother drives a motorcycle even though he is chasidish and is building a chasidish home... Though they are very grounded - the article quotes her parents requiring marriage before she went to a co-ed college. She wouldn't have to 'no longer be chasidish' in her family to become a doctor.

Kol Hakavod to her!

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 1:15 pm
amother wrote:
As others have pointed out she is no longer chasidish and therefore it's not that unusual that she became a doctor. I don't know why some are saying that chasidish doctors are a regular occurrence. It's definitely not. If you take boro park, which is 65% chasidish (I might be way off on this) certainly the percentage of doctors, dentists, and other professionals that are chasidish is far less than 65%. Also, I don't know why the op had to say "the vast majority of chasidish woman hold college degrees". Who are you kidding???

Op here. I was directly referencing the article. The vast majority of chassidishe women in Montreal hold college degrees (called a DEC - Diplome Études Collégiales).

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 1:18 pm
amother wrote:
She's a Farkas girl, right? I know her brothers in Monsey, her baby sister Bassie, and have met her parents too. They aren't your typical chasidish family; they're way more open minded than your average, 'women driving and not shaving, open minded chasidish family'. Her oldest brother drives a motorcycle even though he is chasidish and is building a chasidish home... Though they are very grounded - she quotes her parents requiring marriage before she went to a co-ed college. She wouldn't have to 'no longer be chasidish' in her family to become a doctor.

Kol Hakavod to her!

Yup, she's a Farkas! Her family is to the left of the chassidishe spectrum, but definitely not unusual in Montreal. She did not leave chassidus to become a doctor, she didn't have to!

greenfire

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 1:54 pm
good for her ... it's fun to know someone who hits the news ~ eh

sprayonlove

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 2:52 pm
So inspiring! Thanks for sharing

nylon

Post Fri, Jun 24 2016, 1:03 am
a DEC isn't a college degree like Americans think, though, and it's not quite an associates either. It's equal to grade 12 and the first year of university elsewhere in Canada, so her bachelors would then take only 3 years.

Medical school is still a big achievement though, because of the length and the type of studies. you can't rush through your BA for med school.

She clearly had a background that was academically stronger than that of many chassidic schools.

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, Jun 24 2016, 1:10 am
amother wrote:
Op here. I was directly referencing the article. The vast majority of chassidishe women in Montreal hold college degrees (called a DEC - Diplome Études Collégiales).

Cejep is not in an if itself usable as s college degree any more than my grade 13 was.

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Jun 24 2016, 1:18 am
Saying the chassidic girl highest career goals is working in preschool is just to downgrade them - Chassidic girls teach all grades including hi school become principals - many have all kind of degrees OT PT special ed speech etc. There are many Frum big Doctors today
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics