Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Raised Hassidic, Now a Doctor
Previous  1  2

amother
Copper

Post Fri, Jun 24 2016, 9:08 am
andrea levy wrote:
Cejep is not in an if itself usable as s college degree any more than my grade 13 was.

I did 3 years of CEGEP and when I transferred to university, my credits were evaluated as being equal to about 1.5 years of full-time undergrad. Etty herself got a full year cut off her B.A. for her two years of CEGEP.

amother
Copper

Post Fri, Jun 24 2016, 9:12 am
nylon wrote:
a DEC isn't a college degree like Americans think, though, and it's not quite an associates either. It's equal to grade 12 and the first year of university elsewhere in Canada, so her bachelors would then take only 3 years.

Medical school is still a big achievement though, because of the length and the type of studies. you can't rush through your BA for med school.

She clearly had a background that was academically stronger than that of many chassidic schools.

Chassidic schools in Montreal follow the curriculum mandated by the Ministry of Education. She is a Belz graduate. We had top-notch teachers and did very well on our government exams. Schools such as Belz, Skver and Bais Yakoov frequently rank among the top 20 schools in Quebec.

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Jun 24 2016, 12:08 pm
amother wrote:
Saying the chassidic girl highest career goals is working in preschool is just to downgrade them - Chassidic girls teach all grades including hi school become principals - many have all kind of degrees OT PT special ed speech etc. There are many Frum big Doctors today

That line doesn't quote Etty, so it may have been the journalist's own. Etty would know better - her own mother isn't either 'just a preschool teacher' in school.

amother
Copper

Post Fri, Jun 24 2016, 12:30 pm
amother wrote:
That line doesn't quote Etty, so it may have been the journalist's own. Etty would know better - her own mother isn't either 'just a preschool teacher' in school.

I agree.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Jun 24 2016, 12:35 pm
I find it interesting that there are posters on this thread who are comfortable posting personal details about Etty, like her maiden name, and the vehicle her brother drives, and all sorts of things about her family...all under amother.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics