Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Crazy shidduch questions you were asked
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 1:02 pm
I've read many times about crazy Shiduch question but in real life no one ever asked a million questions about Yichus but nothing about the boy or girl himself/herself, no one ever asked me if they use plastic or paper plates, no one ever asked about the girls anatomy etc.

Ironically the only odd question I was ever asked was a legitimate one. It was the reason for asking that (I thought)was odd: The girls family wanted to know if a boy had a heart condition after he told her that he takes a walk every day and tries to stay away from unhealthy food.

What about you? Did anyone actually ask the questions I only read about? I have a feeling these questions when asked are being taken out of context.

pointyshoes

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 1:06 pm
I wasn't asked anything weird either but my good friend was asked what bra size she is.

agreer

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 1:07 pm
If she was an animal, what type of animal would she be?

Yes, seriously.

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 1:37 pm
I got a list of "suggested shidduch questions" from somewhere, somewhen, and nearly fell off my chair when I saw "What meds does the boy or girl take regularly?" I can't say whether or not anyone really had the gall to ask such a thing IRL, but what the HECK???

Just to be a wise guy, because that's the kind of person I am, and because I bitterly resent that whole "research" thing which is less research than just plain snooping, and with which I am extremely uncomfortable no matter which end of the process I'm at, I once asked a shadchan what color tablecloth a family uses. I had to explain to the shocked and baffled shadchan that I was making a joke.

sky

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 1:40 pm
A friend was asked "What type of shaloch manas does the family give?"

I'm very glad we move in different circles.

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 1:42 pm
amother wrote:
I got a list of "suggested shidduch questions" from somewhere, somewhen, and nearly fell off my chair when I saw "What meds does the boy or girl take regularly?" I can't say whether or not anyone really had the gall to ask such a thing IRL, but what the HECK???

Just to be a wise guy, because that's the kind of person I am, and because I bitterly resent that whole "research" thing which is less research than just plain snooping, and with which I am extremely uncomfortable no matter which end of the process I'm at, I once asked a shadchan what color tablecloth a family uses. I had to explain to the shocked and baffled shadchan that I was making a joke.

That is a valid question. So many times, people hide that they are on mess, whih sometimes results in divorce when the spouse finds out.

As for the question op was asked- a heart condition because the boy leads a healthful lifestyle- that is absolutely ridiculous in my book! I wonder if the family that asked about it is the kind of family who thinks potato kugel is a vegetable Rolling Eyes

zaq

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 1:43 pm
agreer wrote:

Yes, seriously.

That's easy--every girl would be a gazelle. Beautiful, graceful, swift, eidel, kosher and yearning for G-d. "keayal taarog al afikei mayim, ken nafshi taarog elecha Elokim."

You're welcome. Feel free to use this should the opportunity arise.

glamourmom

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 1:47 pm
zaq wrote:
That's easy--every girl would be a gazelle. Beautiful, graceful, swift, eidel, kosher and yearning for G-d. "keayal taarog al afikei mayim, ken nafshi taarog elecha Elokim."

You're welcome. Feel free to use this should the opportunity arise.

Applause Applause Thumbs Up

love this.

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 1:47 pm
I have been asked all types of fun questions from random people:

What age were they toilet trained?
Did she catch on to reading fast? (yes, that makes a different 20 years later!),
Does she eat healthy?
How long did it take her mom to lose weight post partum?

There were others, I made a list somewhere ...

sky

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 1:49 pm
agreer wrote:

Yes, seriously.

I also heard it once. And the answeret was appalled - how can you refer to your future DIL as an animal - and refused to answer additional question.

cnc

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 1:49 pm
amother wrote:

I actually think this is a perfectly legitimate question.
I believe if one is asked directly, they are mechuyav to respond, but if not asked then they don't need to offer the information. Therefore people will ask this question directly.

zaq

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 1:52 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
I have been asked all types of fun questions from random people:

Did she catch on to reading fast? (yes, that makes a different 20 years later!),
Does she eat healthy?

There were others, I made a list somewhere ...

How would you even know the answers? I couldn't answer the first question for my own children, let alone someone else's.

zaq

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 2:00 pm
[color=black]

--Long before they started school.
Did she catch on to reading fast? (yes, that makes a different 20 years later!)
-- She can read fast but prefers to read slowly, the better to absorb the material
Does she eat healthy?
--No, she eats food.
--Like most moms, she shed at least 15 pounds the day of delivery.

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 2:06 pm
agreer wrote:

Yes, seriously.

I have been asked this one by more than one person.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 2:08 pm
I was asked if my BIL had a unibrow. He does, and I suppose if the girl knows she finds unibrows unattractive I suppose she may as well weed out the guys that have them rather than waste time on a date with someone she would find repulsive. So I guess it wasn't crazy to ask, but Dh and I found it funny, it just seemed like such an odd thing to think of. BIL is married now, so Bh he found someone who presumably appreciates his unibrow.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 2:29 pm
My rav was asked if I was a virgin (my husband was in a charedi / BT yeshiva when we were dating. Neither of us are charedi) My rav thought that that rav was off his rocker. First he said how in the world would he know that about me and second it was nobody's business but mine and my future husband (mind you my husband never knew that was asked until much after the fact)
We both found it to be a bizarre question.

out-of-towner

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 2:44 pm
Besides for the contents of the girl's father's wallet and how much/long they were willing to support?

My friend's resume says that she is 5ft 2in. A boy's mother asked me if she was really 5"2'. I realized only later that she was asking if this was an accurate height or if she was a few inches shorter than that IRL. The girl was too Eherlach for that type of mother if she suspected that she my have lied on her resume, me and my friends are all truthful, real, honest human beings.

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 2:47 pm
pointyshoes wrote:
I wasn't asked anything weird either but my good friend was asked what bra size she is.

That is the craziest question I ever heard! Hope she didn't marry that guy

pointyshoes

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 3:07 pm
amother wrote:
That is the craziest question I ever heard! Hope she didn't marry that guy

Nope she didn't! Actually my mom set her up with the nicest guy from the nicest family and they're happily married!

Miri7

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 3:09 pm
pointyshoes wrote:

This is disgusting. This question is relevant when looking for a lingere or bikini model, not a nice Jewish wife. Shame on who ever asked it.

I don't find the animal question off-putting. It's silly but it's one of those questions that supposed to give you insight into the persons personality. Like "what 3 things would you take with you if you were stuck on a deserted island" or "if you could invite one person from history for dinner, who would it be?"

But these questions about breast size and how quickly the mom lost the pregnancy pounds are just gross, and if asked directly by the family demonstrate poor values and middot.
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics