Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Not one thank you
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 3:25 pm
I am so upset with the parent body from my class. I didn't get one thank you from a parent this year out of 22 students, not one. This is the first year that I have this. I don't need money. I don't need a gift certificate. I don't need a gift. But, you can't say thank you? After I poured my heart and soul into my students. After the countless hours I spent speaking with you on the phone. The many many hours I spent making my subjects more creative and enjoyable for your children to learn. For all the homework emails and reminder emails I sent out every single night. For the trips I didn't have to take your children on, but I did. For all the pictures I emailed throughout the year of your children. You couldn't take 2 minutes of your day to respond to one of those emails to thank me for my hard work? A note? A text? Nothing? You had my number when you had an issue to discuss.You thank your doctor after you get a checkup. You thank your accountant after he files your taxes. You thank your mailman for dropping off the mail. But, you can't thank the person that spent the last 10 months educating your child?

Is it just me, or is this just plain wrong?

boysrus

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 3:26 pm
amother wrote:
I am so upset with the parent body from my class. I didn't get one thank you from a parent this year out of 22 students, not one. This is the first year that I have this. I don't need money. I don't need a gift certificate. I don't need a gift. But, you can't say thank you? After I poured my heart and soul into my students. After the countless hours I spent speaking with you on the phone. The many many hours I spent making my subjects more creative and enjoyable for your children to learn. For all the homework emails and reminder emails I sent out every single night. For the trips I didn't have to take your children on, but I did. For all the pictures I emailed throughout the year of your children. You couldn't take 2 minutes of your day to respond to one of those emails to thank me for my hard work? A note? A text? Nothing? You had my number when you had an issue to discuss.You thank your doctor after you get a checkup. You thank your accountant after he files your taxes. You thank your mailman for dropping off the mail. But, you can't thank the person that spent the last 10 months educating your child?

its wrong.
And very strange in my opinion and experience .....

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 3:27 pm
amother wrote:

I feel bad for you. That really is strange. That's how I felt when I didnt get a single mishloach manos from my students and their parents this year, when I usually get from most of them. Really weird. It doesnt feel good Sad sorry OP

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 3:36 pm
Hey, not every profession gets thanked. All jobs are hard but think about every person who you encounter. Do you thank the secretary every time she made copies for you? Or the receptionist at your doctors office when she schedules you? Or a social worker, therapist or whoever else you bump into?
It's your job and while it's nice to be thanked it isn't a "must".

I don't expect it (not a teacher but a professional who works with kids) and therefore feel amazing if I get anything. Lower your expectations and life will be less complicated. And I rarely get a thank you.

Rachel Shira

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 3:40 pm
amother wrote:
Hey, not every profession gets thanked. All jobs are hard but think about every person who you encounter. Do you thank the secretary every time she made copies for you? Or the receptionist at your doctors office when she schedules you? Or a social worker, therapist or whoever else you bump into?

I don't expect it (not a teacher but a professional who works with kids) and therefore feel amazing if I get anything. Lower your expectations and life will be less complicated. And I rarely get a thank you.

I definitely do thank all these people, and as a teacher I would be upset if I didn't receive any thank yous at the end of the year (and during).
So sorry, OP. I'm sure your efforts weren't unnoticed; some people just are a bit oblivious when it comes to showing their appreciation.

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 3:46 pm
amother wrote:

I'm not someone you 'bump' into. I'm the person that spent 4 hours with your child every single day. The person that taught your child subjects, manners, how to be team players, to list a few.

All those situations you mentioned above, I personally do say thank you. I said thank you to the secretary every time she made copies for me. Every time I make an appointment, before I hang up I say thank you. Why wouldn't you. That person just helped you, EVEN if it's their job. It's called being polite.
Must?
What happened to our society today that saying a simple 'thank you' shouldn't be expected?

shev

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 3:51 pm
I find it very strange that you didn't get one thank you. Most people I know send something small with a nice note attached to the teacher at the end of the year to show their appreciation.
Is this the first year you didn't get thanked?

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 3:58 pm
amother wrote:

Yes. I say thank you to every single one of those people. It's call being normal.
If you send an email of someone's child to them and they don't even respond, that is beyond rude!

yOungM0mmy

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 4:01 pm
One year, in one of my kid's kindegarten classes, I was the only one who gave a thank you present, and it was only a bottle from the dollar store with some homemade smelling bath salts. The teachers had watched the other class teachers get a big group present, and nothing for them, and felt terrible, but were so appreciative of my little present. If I am not part of a group present I make sure to send at least a note, I find group presents much easier but am sure teachers lose out on actual thank yous even if they get a nicer present...

animeme

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 4:05 pm
Do you see the parents regularly? Did none of them verbalize "thank you" when picking up their child? Wow.

In terms of end of the year notes or gifts, a) I find that a lot of people got very behind/disorganized by when Shavuos fell this year, including class mom's who organize class gifts, which many people rely on for this, and b) there is still time for emails and texts. I often send these after school is over when the kids are settled for the summer and my brain settles too. May you get some soon!

Miri7

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 4:10 pm
I agree that teachers should be thanked. They are the adult persons who put in the most love, thought, time, work, and caring into a child's development other than the parents.

Things tend to get very busy at the end of the school year, so I try to sit down with my kids a few weeks before school ends and we each write thank you cards to the teachers. I write one from my husband and me, and the kids write their own.

I help the younger ones and ask them to think of three specific things they want to thank their teacher for. A general "thanks for a great year" does not suffice. I do this not only to properly express our thanks, but to also get the child to sit and really consider all that the teacher has done for them over the year.

I think that it's nice to give the big group present, but that each family should also write personal notes to all of the teachers.

Also - I do thank my assistant for making copies, etc. I remind my child at the end of each therapy session to thank his therapist directly. Yes, it's their job, but it's our job to acknowledge and express our gratitude to others, even for just "doing their job."

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 4:17 pm
Nope. Not one. And, I just sent out an email today with all our 'last day of school' pictures. Nothing.

Happydance

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 4:22 pm
ouch
I got a pit n my stomach thinking of being in your position
can I say it for them? I know its not the same

"THANK YOU! you literally gave your all to my child, investing time effort and love to make sure that she not only learned a lot of material, but felt accepted, secure, and interested in her learning environment. Kol hakavod to you for your special work!"

groovy1224

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 4:26 pm
OP that's so wrong. Shame on them.

Sounds like you did an amazing job. I dont blame you for feeling hurt.

Raisin

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 4:29 pm
I certainly don't give thank you cards to my dr or mailman. I do obviously thank people verbally when they have helped me. I do make sure to have my kids write thank you notes and buy a gift for each teacher twice a year.

I can't imagine a teacher not getting a single thank you at the end of the year. shock Is it possible that a group gift was organised and you didn't get it yet?

Event the busiest parent should have time to buy a few boxes of chocolates or flowers and write a quick note.

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 4:40 pm
Op, I work in a candy/gift store, and we find a lot of people like to send thank you gifts for the first Shabbos after school ends. It ends up being one of our busiest Fridays. So hopefully you will get some things tonight or tomorrow.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 4:40 pm
Not one thank you card from one of 22 kids? That is strange. Maybe you will get something in the mail? I usually send a small thing along with a card my kids write out the last day of school. One year I didn't get to it so I mailed it as soon as I was able to.

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 4:42 pm
Thank you for posting OP. embarrassed
I actually have been super busy at work with a new promotion where I need to prove myself and not managing home life at the moment. I've been trying to juggle childcare arrangements for my kids who are off for two weeks before camp starts while I still need to show up each day at work in a professional firm setting and unfortunately I have been forced to try to find different arrangements for each day and I still don't have all days ironed out. The financial and emotion toll right now is enormous. My mind and body just aren't functioning right now.
I really wanted to send thank you cards and I know there is no excuse in the world for not doing so.
Do you think I can send cards to the school's addresses attention to the individual teachers? Would they receive them? I don't have anyone's home addresses or email addresses as they keep those private. embarrassed

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 4:43 pm
Oy! I'm so sorry for you. I'm also guilty of not sending anything to the teachers. I saw most of them at the end of the year and thanked them personally. I joined in the Chanukah presents for all the teachers and gave shaloch Manos to each one. I think next year after I read this post I will make sure to send something small to each teacher with a note. You all really deserve it you put so much into our children!

Maya

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 4:44 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you for posting OP. embarrassed
I actually have been super busy at work with a new promotion where I need to prove myself and not managing home life recently. I've been trying to juggle childcare arrangements for my kids who are off for 2 weeks before camp starts while I still need to show up each day at work in a professional firm setting and unfortunately I have been forced to try to find different arrangements for each day and I still don't have all days ironed out. My mind and body just isn't functioning right now.
I really wanted to send thank you cards and I know there is no excuse in the world for not doing so.
Do you think I can send cards to the school's addresses attention to the individual teachers? Would they receive them? I don't have anyone's home addresses embarrassed

You can send an email. That's what I did, and I assume it's acceptable.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics