Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Going to sleep with a bottle

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 5:36 pm
We somehow got our 21 month old into a terrible habit of only falling asleep at night with a bottle. He needs to gain weight so I'm happy he's getting the calories but he has never been this way and I'm worried! It all started a few months ago when he got sick and had no appetite for food and was only drinking. He would grab his blanket and drink while getting really sleepy so we'd transfer him into his crib. Now it's like he needs that bottle. Help! How do I get rid of this habit???

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 5:46 pm
Ack! This is so bad. I'm really glad you want to correct this right away.

Do pediatricians ever warn parents about what this does to a child's teeth? Google "bottle mouth", and you'll see what I mean. Juice and milk have no reason to be in the crib. I never gave a single bottle or sippy cup in the crib or bed, and I'm so glad I never started. It turned out that the enamel on DD's baby teeth was really soft, and she had 6 cavities before she was 7. Just imagine if I had let her sleep with all of that sugar in her mouth! Surprised

Your son is old enough to be eating plenty of solids by now, so he should not be going to bed hungry. Switch the bottle to water, and tell him that milk is for daytime because "he is such a big boy!" You can eventually phase out the water bottle later, when you want him to sleep through the night and stay dry.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics