Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Quickest Shabbos Prep possible

amother
Blue

Post Fri, Jun 24 2016, 10:29 am
What's your lazy shabbos prep? How long does it take?

Mine is: put challa in machine, roast chicken over potatoes in over while cooking rice in a pan in the oven, put up cholent, throw a dunkenhines mix in the oven, and serve salad/raw veggies. For fish I would do tuna inside half a pepper, and often skip soup. Whole thing takes max 2 hours and hardly makes a mess.

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, Jun 24 2016, 10:33 am
Matzah
Roast chicken
Roasted frozen cauliflower
Fruit

Shobbos day
Choulent or salmon and salad
Fruit
We are 3 eaters, low carb, no company

mha3484

Post Fri, Jun 24 2016, 10:35 am
Mine is buy challah. Bake frozen fish loaf in loaf pan or slice it thin and bake on a baking sheet (this way is faster). In the summer skip the soup. Take three pans: One is cubed sweet potatoes with chili powder, the second is short grain brown rice and the third is chicken pieces with whatever spices I am in the mood for. All three cook at 400 for 45 minutes. Dessert is ice cream. DH makes the cholent and I make a green salad to go with. takes about 2 hours total as well.

Stars

Post Fri, Jun 24 2016, 10:38 am
store bought challah
fish layered over onions and carrots, spiced , then cooked (prep time is three minutes)
soup and chicken- enough for 4 weeks at a time (prep time five minutes)
kugel - enough for four or five weeks at a time (prep time ten minutes)
cholent thursday night (prep time about four minutes)
eggs - prep time about 30 seconds
salad is prepared on shabbos
store bought dessert

Last edited by Stars on Fri, Jun 24 2016, 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, Jun 24 2016, 10:39 am
We're 2 people and usually go out for lunch.
For Friday night I make gefilte fish and chicken and potatoes in the crock pot (or sometimes I'll do a kugel instead of the potatoes). I also make or buy one or two dips and make a salad or two.
I make and freeze challah once a month or so.
Takes 10 minutes of prep before shabbos and 10 minutes on shabbos to do salads, etc. And no mess.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jun 24 2016, 10:45 am
Stock the freezer with a few weeks of soup/kneidlach/challah/kugels/desserts/cake at a time.
I don't think of my shortcuts as "lazy" or bedieved. I want whatever I do to be fully lekavod Shabbos. That said, I do have my shortcuts for when the freezer's empty, etc.:
- No kneidlach in the house? We have croutons.
- Chicken over potatoes. And if even peeling and slicing potatoes (tip: parboil first for easier slicing) is too much, I have frozen hash brown potato squares to put under the chicken. Delicious!
- Relish trays, easy salads. Marinated or cooked veg. can be made on Thursday. I have an easy recipe that uses frozen green breans and hearts of palm (dressed up even more with baby corn) and a quick dressing. Put in a zipper bag, takes 2 minutes and ready the next day.
- We often start with liver and onion Shabbos day. Instead, I'll make a nice salad - bag with deli and add-ins.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Jun 24 2016, 11:25 am
My every week prep is the lazy prep. I hate taking more than 10 minutes to prepare something.
I put a pot on stove, fill with chicken and spices. Sometimes I put rice on the bottom, usually not. Spice it up or sauce it up (probably all of 5 minutes). then do the same for shabbat day and that one goes into the oven (another 5 minutes) and thats the prep. We make a fresh salad right before we eat. No other prep. We dont eat dessert. If we do we buy melon or ice cream.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jun 24 2016, 11:34 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
My every week prep is the lazy prep. I hate taking more than 10 minutes to prepare something.
I put a pot on stove, fill with chicken and spices. Sometimes I put rice on the bottom, usually not. Spice it up or sauce it up (probably all of 5 minutes). then do the same for shabbat day and that one goes into the oven (another 5 minutes) and thats the prep. We make a fresh salad right before we eat. No other prep. We dont eat dessert. If we do we buy melon or ice cream.

See, I'd be worried about the pot scorching and having to clean it. (I guess I'm the laziest one of all Very Happy )
Rice made under chicken is one of my major comfort foods. I don't make it or eat it often, but it brings me back to my childhood. We had it every Shabbos and as planned Sunday leftovers.

amother
Azure

Post Fri, Jun 24 2016, 11:35 am
Im loving this thread...thought I was the only lazy one out there!
Friday night...cholent (put up in a.m. and forget about it!)
Shabbos day...grilled chicken and huge salad prepared on shabbos.

Mha..how do you make your brown rice? You must use boiling water, no?

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Jun 24 2016, 11:37 am
PinkFridge wrote:
See, I'd be worried about the pot scorching and having to clean it. (I guess I'm the laziest one of all Very Happy )
Rice made under chicken is one of my major comfort foods. I don't make it or eat it often, but it brings me back to my childhood. We had it every Shabbos and as planned Sunday leftovers.
It doesnt scorch. I put water (one cup rice to two cups water) and if it burns a little, its even more delicious. But it never needs to be scrubbed.

mha3484

Post Fri, Jun 24 2016, 11:39 am
Nope. I use one cup short grain brown rice and 2 cups water. Seal tightly and bake. If I have the oven on 350 I find it takes closer to an hour at 400 45 minutes. I put oil or earth balance and spices.

amother
Puce

Post Fri, Jun 24 2016, 12:36 pm
I do shabbos prep in about 30 minutes. Challah is store bought, don't make fish or soup. I make a one pan chicken dish (chicken with vegetables and potatoes and some sauce or seasoning) for Friday night, and a chulent for Shabbos lunch. That's it. No dessert other than fresh fruit. This is when I don't have guests, when I do, I don't do lazy. Then again, don't have guests too often.

tichellady

Post Fri, Jun 24 2016, 12:49 pm
I'm really incapable of making a simple Shabbos. Some shortcuts for me ( I recognize these are not really shortcuts) are to use frozen cubed squash to make butternut soup,
Make salad without lettuce ( tomato, hearts of palm, cucumber, avacado etc), broil boneless chicken thighs, buy vegan ice cream for dessert, buy challah, serve zuchinni noodles which can all be made on Shabbos. We also like eating corn on the cob in the summer and you can microwave it in the skin before Shabbos and it's perfect.

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, Jun 24 2016, 12:50 pm
challah - store
fish - quick grilled salmon or gefilte fish
chicken soup
chulent - I make a vegetarian version of chulent
I also make some dips - spinach eggplant tomato dip..
(I let the spinach defrost next to the grilled eggplant while roasting the garlic, so by the time im done chopping up veggies for fish soup, the eggplant is grilled, add other ingredients quickly, the spinach is ready to be thrown into the blender, followed by tomato dip, one after the other)

this isnt my "lazy prep" but its done in no time at all

eta: I dont know how long it takes, ill update later Smile

causemommysaid

Post Fri, Jun 24 2016, 1:14 pm
easiest Shabbos prep:

buy challa
buy dips
cholent for Friday night
deli sandwiches for Shabbos day
grapes and dunkin heins for dessert

prep time: 20 minutes

eschaya

Post Fri, Jun 24 2016, 5:17 pm
I make a large batch of challah every few weeks and so most weeks just take out of the freezer. Chicken soup (throw everything in the pot, cook for 3 hours). Dh grills chicken for both meals, and sometimes grills vegis as well. Bake baby potatoes with oil and spices in foil pan. Steam vegi or make salad. Sweet kugel from the freezer or bake precut butternut squash. Ice cream or store-bought cookies for dessert. The end.

ectomorph

Post Fri, Jun 24 2016, 7:08 pm
Challah, chicken soup, cholent. That's it. I make a salad for each meal on shabbos too.

RedCurls

Post Fri, Jun 24 2016, 7:10 pm
Friday night: buy challah, roast chicken and vegetables on a sheet pan, pot of rice and quick salad
Lunch: cholent in crockpot, salad snd deli

tigerwife

Post Fri, Jun 24 2016, 7:41 pm
I tend to make bigger recipes for Shabbos and freeze, so on a week when my freezer is stocked I'll have challah (or buy), soup, and an apple kugel or lokshen kugel.

Three things I usually make fresh every week are potato kugel (we like to eat it on Friday), cholent, and roast chicken. The all get made on Friday, and can all be put up within an hour or so. We usually buy dips, gefilte fish (only DH eats so it's just a slice a meal), and liver. I don't usually serve dessert unless I have guests, and when I have guests I'll prepare more homemade foods.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics