Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Schools policy only sheitals no hats

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Jun 24 2016, 5:02 pm
A school that I want to apply for a job there has ruled for tsniut and one of the rules is that the teachers are supposed to wear only sheitals, no hats or scarfs. How is wearing a sheital more tsniut then wearing a cloth covering? Why would they make such a rule. I am sure Sarah Imeinu and all of our imahot didn't wear a sheital. So why would a Jewish school make a rule like that?

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, Jun 24 2016, 5:04 pm
Are they Chabad?

The Lubavitcher Rebbe believed sheitels were the ideal hair covering.

If not, then it may be part of the dress code, not related to tznius, for professional reasons.

flowerpower

Post Fri, Jun 24 2016, 5:06 pm
Many schools have rules. Find out the reason why they prefer wigs. I know that in Belz all teacher must go covered when teaching. My friend is doing siet in a school that told her that her wig can't be too long. So now she has a "work wig".

pesek zman

Post Fri, Jun 24 2016, 6:31 pm
If the rule bothers you philosophically, or practically, then don't apply to work there. You'd likely run into other hashkafic issues that might not make it a good fit for you

notshanarishona

Post Fri, Jun 24 2016, 7:28 pm
I have had several schools having those rules, but all said it was because it looks more presentable, not because of tznius.

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Jun 24 2016, 7:31 pm
They are not Chabad they are litvish.

amother
Scarlet

Post Fri, Jun 24 2016, 7:33 pm
Might be for professional reasons, not tzniut.

tf

Post Fri, Jun 24 2016, 7:44 pm
Maybe it's the type of school that prefers wigs over fancy hats covering one's own hair? And on top of a sheitel maybe it's ok?

2cents

Post Fri, Jun 24 2016, 8:01 pm
It could be that if you ask, they won't have a problem with the way you cover. That could be a rule meant to prevent colorful, high scarves, tied in elaborate ways that they feel is not 'b'tamt' to their hashkafa.

I only wear hats (and snoods) and my kids go to very litvish, right wing schools. I was initially when applying nervous it would be a problem, but it BH never was.

amother
Olive

Post Sat, Jun 25 2016, 3:46 pm
I work in an office that requires professional head coverings - sheitels or hats. They do not allow snoods or tichels as they feel it leads to a more casual environment.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Jun 25 2016, 4:32 pm
Maybe they want to screen out all of the Sephardim. Confused

Raisin

Post Sat, Jun 25 2016, 7:11 pm
In my chabad school Jewish female married teachers were required to cover their hair. Non frum teachers generally wore hats or berets (partially covering).

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Jun 26 2016, 10:49 am
Actually, my daughter works in a sephardi school where all the married teachers are required to wear nice sheitels. The reason for this ,according to my dd, is that theyre trying to encourage a certain sector of the community to cover their hair. Looks are very important there.

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Jun 26 2016, 4:24 pm
There are places that require sheitels because they're afraid hats/scarves might not cover completely. If you beshita don't wear a sheitel, you could apply and see what they say. Perhaps if you're covered completely they'll be okay, but perhaps not.

(My BIL was a rebbe in a camp that had a rule like that. I think I 'feifed un' - IOW, I was just visiting in passing and did not consider my method of hair covering to be anyone else's business.

But of course an employer can make rules, and you have the choice of following them or looking for employment elsewhere.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics