Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Please help with bra size!

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Jun 26 2016, 10:51 am
I really really need new bras, mine are over 5 years old! Kids are out of school and home with me all day so I can't go out to a store to get fitted and buy so I need to buy online. I tried doing the bra calculator online and wondering if my measurements make sense. According to what I measured I'm 32DD (32 around and 37 on top). Is DD too big? Because my breast really aren't that big and I always thought DD is a really big size. I would guess I'm a C? I was an A when I got married, four kids later it can be a DD? I guess I just need opinions if it's possible and I have no one to ask!

WastingTime

Post Sun, Jun 26 2016, 11:03 am
Does that mean that you have been using your A bras until now? Doesn't sound so possible. I am currently a 36 D (maybe a 38 but Im in denial and use extension clips)- was a 32 DD before kids (you actually can go down instead of up!) and yes, it is quite large cup size.
It is possible I guess to go from A to DD, but sounds like a huge jump. I would say if you gained tons of weight, but 32 around means you didn't. Something doesn't sound right. There is no time you can have someone watch your kids and run out to the store- even just to get measured. Maybe one evening? I have ordered bras online, some were great, some were a waste of money. It's important you know your size. And once you find a good bra, get more of the same model. It's the most important part of your wardrobe!

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Jun 26 2016, 11:31 am
Thank you for your reply! No I'm not wearing an A now, I'm wearing an old nursing bra from when my kids were little. My youngest is four. The size is all worn out so I can't see what size it is, but I think it's a C, which I think makes much more sense. I'll just have to try to get out and just get measured.

mille

Post Sun, Jun 26 2016, 12:17 pm
Sounds right, DD isn't actually all that big when you are in a properly fitted bra. Check out this calculator and read through the FAQs: http://www.brasizecalculator.tk/faq.html

There's also something called the Bra Band Project which you can google (and I am not going to link because it has pictures of women in properly fitted bras). But if you decide to look, you'll see what a properly fitted 32DD looks like.

For reference, most people would probably assume me to be a 32D. I wear a 28GG. Most places size very incorrectly for the purpose of selling as many bras in not so many sizes.

greenfire

Post Sun, Jun 26 2016, 2:12 pm
I don't think we can guess for you ... get a babysitter and go to the store to try on some

styles also fit differently and you would want to purchase based on how it feels & looks on you too

you deserve a good bra !!!

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Jun 26 2016, 2:35 pm
Check out these sites for info on most accurate way to measure. Most online calculators are BS. Figure out your correct size and buy it even if it's a specialty size and costs more.
Don't be fooled by number or letter. 32dd is smaller than a 34c.

http://www.thinandcurvy.com/20......html

http://www.investinyourchest.c.....lenge

http://youlookfab.com/welookfa.....hread

Edit pasting 1st link below in case of filters

Quote:
How to measure your bra size, the correct way!
Ladies, this isn't something there is more than one right way to do. There are many, many sites (Even manufacturer's websites!) that will tell you the incorrect way of measuring. Many will tell you to measure your band size above your boobs, or to add 5 or 6 inches to your band measurement. This is absolutely, positively, NOT CORRECT. Don't do it. Just don't. I don't care what they tell you. It's not correct. Here's how to do it right.

It would help if you can enlist somebody else to help you measure. If you can't I find it helpful to measure in front of a mirror so that you can tell better whether you are holding the tape straight or not. You will need a cloth, non stretchy, inch tape measure.
Put on your best fitting bra. It shouldn't be padded but a bit of molding is probably fine.
Measure around your rib cage, right under your breasts. Keep the tape as straight and parallel to the floor as possible. Measure this tight! You don't need to be straining to pull it tight as a corset, or leaving marks on your skin, or anything like that. But you should measure this much snugger than you would normally measure another part of your body. Write down your rib measurement.
Measure around your breasts. Measure loosely this time. It might help to lean forward, especially if the bra you are wearing isn't particularly supportive. Write down this measurement.
The rib measurement you wrote down is your band size. If it's a fraction, just round to the nearest whole number. If it's an odd number, say 31, you should try both band sizes around this (A 30 and a 32.)
Now take the breast measurement you came up with. Subtract your band size from this number. (For example if you measured 29.5 and you were going to start with a 30 band and you measured 36 inches around your bustline, then the result would be 6.)
Each number is a cup size. It generally goes: A,B,C,D,DD,E,F,FF,G,GG, H,HH,J,JJ,K,KK... But, brands can be slightly inconsistent. Some brands might skip some of those, or substitute DDD for E, or something, so double check to make sure that you are buying the size you think you are! In addition, some brands or styles may run large or small and you may have to adjust accordingly.
If you thought you were a 36DD, and you come up with something like 30H, don't freak out! You aren't weird, I promise. So many people are wearing the wrong size that we have a really distorted idea of what a “normal” size is. Just give it a try. It's only a number!
**If you want to know my recommendations on where to buy bras in a large range of sizes, click here.

Once you have figured out our size according to the above methods, remember that it's only a starting point. If you try that size and you are still seeing signs of a poor fit, it may because you need to go up or down in the band or cup. Or it may even be because that style or brand of bra is incompatible with your body or breast shape. Keep trying until your find the perfect fit!

singleagain

Post Sun, Jun 26 2016, 2:51 pm
You might also want to try sister-sizes ... so if you measure a 34C look at the sister size chart and get a few sister sizes, example. 34C us same as 32D etc. bc the different styles might affect fit.

Here's an article abt sister-sizes:

This Genius Tip Will Make Bra Shopping So Much Easier http://www.buzzfeed.com/august.....NdPXg

ChutzPAh

Post Sun, Jun 26 2016, 8:55 pm
Department stores are open until at least nine. Get a babysitter or have your husband stay with the kids and get a normal bra! I find it sad if a woman can't even get a proper bra after 4 years because she's stuck in her house.

spring13

Post Sun, Jun 26 2016, 9:41 pm
You'd be surprised at how cup sizes work out sometimes. As of my last fitting a year ago, I'm a 36J (or 36GG in European brands). I was pretty surprised by that, because I had assumed I'd gone up a band size and not that many cup sizes (had previously been in 36DD, more or less). I'm not so thin - but apparently my ribcage is small.

If you can get out of the house for one trip to somewhere good, do whatever it takes. Because buying online just does not work when you're not a common size. And anything above a D cup, especially if you're less than 38 around, is unusual enough to warrant more effort in getting things just right. I found a bra I liked at that last fitting and bought a few more in other colors online, when I could score a sale: there's nothing decent in my size that's less than $70 full retail.

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Jun 27 2016, 1:11 am
Are all companies sizes equal? I was measured to be 36 g but that one cost me 50 dollars so than I ordered from Macy's 4 more of the same size and they are too big. How does it work?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics