Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Mothers Helper

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Jun 27 2016, 2:56 pm
I dont really know what section to put this under....
I looked through all the threads on this website. What would you pay a college age girl who will be a mothers helper for one child every day (full day) including fridays?
What would you expect her to do for your baby?

***edit: baby is a year, the job is for my DD...The mother wants her to have a structured day for the baby, activities, hours are probably morning to afternoon, take baby to park etc...*

singleagain

Post Mon, Jun 27 2016, 3:07 pm
what age is your baby, and when you say all day, what hours... how many times will she need to feed baby, is your baby young enough to need constant supervision and/or entertainment. what types of activities are there to do with baby? will you provide food for her? internet/phone? will she need to drive baby?

I would not pay under $15/hour --- but if there's more work, than I'd pay more

ectomorph

Post Mon, Jun 27 2016, 3:15 pm
I would pay 10 an hour. It would add up quickly.

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Jun 27 2016, 3:38 pm
It really depends where you are located. I made a similar arrangement with a high school girl and am paying her $6/hour with an unpaid daily lunch break

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 12:06 am
amother wrote:
It really depends where you are located. I made a similar arrangement with a high school girl and am paying her $6/hour with an unpaid daily lunch break

6$? what does the job entail?

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 12:40 am
amother wrote:
6$? what does the job entail?

Pretty much just to take care of my baby. Feed her, play with her, put her to sleep.
I'm lucky because the local daycamp pays an average rate of $2/hour, so she'll be earning more working for me.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 1:00 am
amother wrote:
Pretty much just to take care of my baby. Feed her, play with her, put her to sleep.
I'm lucky because the local daycamp pays an average rate of $2/hour, so she'll be earning more working for me.

wow!! do you live OOT??

flippingout18!

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 1:01 am
I would say $15 minimum! especially if she is college aged and has experience.

Raisin

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 6:33 am
daycamps pay less money since girls often do it for the social experience. Looking after kids alone is a lot less fun.

I would think $10-15. Probably similar to what babysitters/nannies charge in your area.

(although a lot of babysitters do housework as well)

watergirl

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 7:05 am
amother wrote:

You can not pay a highschooler and a college student the same thing. Op is asking for an older girl.
Op, since this is your dd, I caution you - is the employer referring to this position as a mothers helper? And she is looking for someone your dds age? Thats strange. Mothers helper and nanny are not the same thing. From what you describe, the mom is looking for a nanny. Make sure your dd isnt taken advantage of. These arraingements often stink.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 11:47 am
watergirl wrote:
You can not pay a highschooler and a college student the same thing. Op is asking for an older girl.
Op, since this is your dd, I caution you - is the employer referring to this position as a mothers helper? And she is looking for someone your dds age? Thats strange. Mothers helper and nanny are not the same thing. From what you describe, the mom is looking for a nanny. Make sure your dd isnt taken advantage of. These arraingements often stink.

DD came back from sem last year...how come its strange she is looking for someone DD age? what exactly is the difference between mothers helper/nanny/babysitter?

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 12:06 pm
My reactions are;
Mothers helper- preteen or young teenager to be an extra pair of hands for the mom.
Babysitter- responsible teenager or older who takes care of the children when the parents are not around or unavailable.
Nanny- generally a professional hired to take care of all the kids needs whether the parents are around or not. Includes more tasks.

I may trust a post-seem girl over a professional as a nanny though.

greenfire

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 12:12 pm
$6 to play mommy in your stead is really disrespectful

$12 - $15 sounds more reasonable

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 1:36 pm
My DD has taken a job that involves caring for a 2 year old (running after him, feeding him, changing him, taking him to park, playing with him, etc..) for 3 hours a day. She's a hs graduate and is earning $12 per hour.

She wouldn't have taken the job for under $10 an hour. Comparing a babysitter to a camp counselor is a joke - no social experience, trips, fun, etc....The poster who is paying $6 is underpaying. I wouldn't let my child take such a job.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 1:39 pm
amother wrote:

You certainly are lucky. That's paying peanuts.

My DD is working as a counselor in a daycamp, but she's not doing it just for the money - it's alot of fun, and includes trips (including some special for staff), socializing, etc....Being a private babysitter is very boring.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 5:40 pm
Update: the mother needs an extra set of hands at home, take out garbage if she needs to, read to the kid, feed her, bathe her if need be, take to the park, help the mother with dishes. My DD asked for 15$ but is getting paid 13$. Would you ladies feel comfortable with this arrangement? I want to speak it over with my husband tonight...

cnc

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 5:42 pm
It all depends on the going rate in your neighborhood.
That is very fair for where I live.

The Happy Wife

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 5:42 pm
amother wrote:
Update: the mother needs an extra set of hands at home, take out garbage if she needs to, read to the kid, feed her, bathe her if need be, take to the park, help the mother with dishes. My DD asked for 15$ but is getting paid 13$. Would you ladies feel comfortable with this arrangement? I want to speak it over with my husband tonight...

I think that sounds very reasonable.

oliveoil

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 8:23 pm
If your daughter is college age, why are you so involved? You need to discuss it with your husband? That sounds like something you'd say about a 12 yr old. I'm confused.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 8:30 pm
oliveoil wrote:
If your daughter is college age, why are you so involved? You need to discuss it with your husband? That sounds like something you'd say about a 12 yr old. I'm confused.

because my DD likes to speak things over with me and my husband. She has been taken advantage of in the past and shes nervous to take the job so she asked our opinion.
Sorry that our family dynamics confuse you...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries