Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Is it ok for an infant to sleep in a car seat?

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Jun 27 2016, 9:09 pm
She's 3 months already and still sleeps in car seat is that a problem?

dancingqueen

Post Mon, Jun 27 2016, 9:12 pm
Overnight? It's definitely not recommended.

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Jun 27 2016, 9:28 pm
What can be the problem??

pesek zman

Post Mon, Jun 27 2016, 9:36 pm
Definitely not recommended. Ask your pediatrician

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Jun 27 2016, 9:38 pm
Well my siblings always arm me about this!!! They say its bad to sleep in a car seat because the infant can get torticolis(not sure exact spelling of this but u can google this)
. However I had no choice with one of my children!!one of my children had breathing issues- got bad colds and couldn't sleep unless in car seat--I moved this infant in the crib later and tried as much as possible to train to sleep in the crib but I know her breathing was easier elevated which is the case in the car seat--I needed sleep so I had to let it go but I did always try to move my infant into the crib!! I hav not heard of any other problem with sleeping in the car seat so ???
. hatzlacha

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Jun 27 2016, 9:39 pm
Sleeping in the carseat while in the car and sleeping in it while on the floor are very different. The position in the car is tiled back, while on the floor it's more flat making the baby's chin potentially touch their chest which can cause breathing issues.

A girl I went to HS with lost her baby this way. Not to scare you, but it is definitely not recommended.

fmd

Post Mon, Jun 27 2016, 9:40 pm
Mines did It was just hard to eventually get him to sleep in a crib

greengrapes

Post Mon, Jun 27 2016, 9:46 pm
my baby had reflux n slept in a car seat for 5 mnths

greengrapes

Post Mon, Jun 27 2016, 9:47 pm
Truth is it was on a snap n go so it was positioned properly

Iamamother2

Post Mon, Jun 27 2016, 9:57 pm
With my last baby I let him sleep in a car seat until about 5 months. I was afraid of reflux and choking on it. He wasn't diagnosed with reflux but I wanted to be extra careful. I actually put the car seat in the crib and tilted it a little back with a towel. (I made sure the car seat couldn't move at all, in any direction) I would do it again with my other babies IyH. I don't think that keeping him in it until he was that old had any negative effect on his body. He did have a little bit of a flat head in the back but my doctor was not concerned and it went away a month or two later.

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Jun 27 2016, 10:08 pm
Iamamother2 wrote:
With my last baby I let him sleep in a car seat until about 5 months. I was afraid of reflux and choking on it. He wasn't diagnosed with reflux but I wanted to be extra careful. I actually put the car seat in the crib and tilted it a little back with a towel. (I made sure the car seat couldn't move at all, in any direction) I would do it again with my other babies IyH. I don't think that keeping him in it until he was that old had any negative effect on his body. He did have a little bit of a flat head in the back but my doctor was not concerned and it went away a month or two later.

That's the way I'm doing it. In crib. Her head never falls forward

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 1:20 am
In addition to potential breathing issues it's not the correct position for the baby's spine. I'd do tummy sleeping rather than car seat sleeping.

GrowingUp

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 12:57 pm
My baby had refulx for the first few months. I got her this sleeper https://www.amazon.com/Fisher-.....I6MMU

She slept very well in it until about 6 months when I switched her to a crib. Its a lot more breathable (there's mesh vents on the sides) than an infant seat.

mille

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 1:30 pm
I agree with the previous poster - if you are worried about reflux, either prop up one end of the crib mattress or get a rock n play. Rock n play also isn't technically 'recommended' for overnight sleep, but it is significantly safer than a car seat! Some pediatricians recommend a rock n play for reflux babies (mine suggested it as an option in our room). Even if you say your baby's head "never" flops forward - it only takes one time. A car seat is really, really not ideal for many reasons as stated above.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics