Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Suggestions for Girl Name

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 7:27 am
My DH and I have very different opinions on names and we can't really agree on much... or any! We are using a family name as baby's second name, but can not agree on a first. I am very big on two names, so one is not an options for me.

I like original names, not "Israeli" or "modern" specifically, but just that there will not be 4 other ones in her class or on the block. I really like special meaning names, and I understand special is subjective and personal- but I'm open to ideas to discuss with DH.

DH likes more commonplace and regular names...

One name I really wanted to use because I think it is beautiful and a very special meaning is Emunah- however, beside that DH didn't love it, I decided to forget it because it is too similar to my other daughter's name...

I"m due the beginning of September, so either the end of Av or beginning of Elul and would like a time appropriate name too.

I read through other threads, but like I said, my DH is not at all a fan of "modern" or "Israeli" names and that's what seems to be the suggestions for "original"

Any suggestions please? :-)

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 7:44 am
I'm the same as you (I think!) My first child (a boy) has two names, one is a tanach name - still unusual - as in normal, but won't be the name of every child in the class, the second is a meaningful name. I want to follow that with my next child too. I am due in October. Not sure what I'm having yet, but I have lots of boys names and no girls name ideas!

I like to call them 'normal but unique' names. I also don't go for the Israeli ones. Not much help as I can't think of many girls names I like, so I'll be following this thread!

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 7:52 am
There are many normal names that are just less common. I thought Batsheva was when we named our daughter. Now everyone seems to have one. But she is unique in her class.
Also consider a unique combination of run-of-the-mill names to call her by both.
Tovah Dina for Elul

I like Tovah and it's easy to add to many names. There are a few names like that.

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 8:11 am
I have a Nechama born in the 3 weeks, named for a relative who was born in the period you're expecting (it fits the haftarot). I love that it's normal and pronounceable, but no one else her age seems to have it.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 11:37 am
Honestly, I'll end up using a nickname, for sure not both names regularly. And I don't usually like using "ches" names. Thanks!

legalos

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 11:45 am
I am in the same boat as you - although with us, DH likes more modern Israeli names and I prefer more traditional names. Literally every name I suggest, DH thinks it's too old-fashion. Sigh!

fbc

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 1:01 pm
I second Dina.
Leora is not too common, but common enough, and not that Israeli anymore. Elisheva, for same reason as batsheva.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 1:18 pm
Have a Leora 😉 and tons of Dina's Adina's Batsheva and Elisheva here!!

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 10:27 am
Some suggestions: (trying to brainstorm names that are less used but not very unusual)
Tirtza
Temima
Shalva
Gila

You said no "ch" but Chaviva, Chedva, Ruchama, and Menucha come to mind.

etky

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 11:47 am
Bruriah
Meira
Daniella
Moriah
Avital
Timna
Yael
Avigayil
Shlomit
Atara

wiki

Post Fri, Jul 01 2016, 9:18 am
Classic but not altogether common:
Yehudis/Yehudit
Shulamis/Shulamit
Yocheved
Shifra
Hadassah (then again, I taught three in one class this year)
Tziporah
Michal

And names that are "unusual" but normal-sounding, and actually super popular in my circles right now:
Ahuva
Meira/Leora
Temima
Adina
Adira

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jul 01 2016, 9:37 am
You guys have the ruach hakodesh. But if all things are equal, I'd choose a name that has some connection to the family name, either related or evocative of a trait the family member displayed or appreciated.

spring13

Post Fri, Jul 01 2016, 11:48 am
Michal
Aviva
Gavriella
Penina
Margalit
Eliana
Hadar
Ayala/Ayelet
Neima
Nava
Shalhevet

Miri7

Post Fri, Jul 01 2016, 2:38 pm
Cochava
Ayelet
Even
Elisheva
Masha
Bina

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sat, Jul 02 2016, 2:35 pm
Names I like:

Chaya
Tzirri (tzirrel)
Toby
hadas
Shevi
Sima
Chagit
Batya
Kayla

More unusual:

Elian (not Eliana )
Bat-El
Eliora
Yachit
Hodaya
Lishai
Liel
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names