Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Children's Books You Would Like to See
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

animeme

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 10:04 pm
tf wrote:
Tragic, but actual. A book about losing a loved one for young children. As a teacher for pre-k, I had to make kids aware of what they're going through, and a good childish book would absolutely help.

http://www.feldheim.com/will-I......html

It has spaces to write in feelings for a child who is reacting to a loss.

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 10:19 pm
We need more social stories!!

ectomorph

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 11:14 pm
Social stories.
Having new baby book
More tactile books for infants
My toddler loves Sandra Boynton which is simple drhyme. Most Jewish books have rhymes that are too complex.

Amalia

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 11:32 pm
That is such a great question!
So, from my perspective, it actually is a lot easier to find good (non-frum) books for young children, but what happens when they grow up a bit? In our case, Boruch Hashem our children love to read, and Boruch Hashem we even have a Jewish lending library in town, but guess what? In a matter of months (!!!), my older kids went through it all, so what now? They have to go to the public library, and I am not happy at all about many of the books they are bringing, but I don't know what I can do: I am a big reader myself, so I can't (and would not want to) tell them not to read. And they read so fast, I can't possibly censor every book before they read it.
Bli neder, I'll ask them tomorrow what kind of frum books they wish were available.

tf

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 11:57 pm
Pointers
1 - the "regular" family dynamics versus irregular (deceased parent r"l). A young child going through this condition must know that in order to validate feelings.
2- everyone has difficulties in life, if we don't see it, that doesn't mean it's not there.
3- ideas on how to bond with other adult supportive figures.
4- preparation for when other kids might use this as a means for delineating this kid.
5- validation of any emotional pain.

This question hit me really hard. I'm crying while I'm writing this and it takes away from what I remember doing with my students. When I actually did it, I had to prepare myself to prevent my emotions from breaking down on me. I did it in bits and pieces with a well thought out process. I can only wish you Hatslucha Rabba in this holy task.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 12:03 am
Regarding "other adult figures", how about some guidance on who is a safe person? How to tell whether a friendship is healthy or toxic, how to deal with sibling rivalry (not just a story about fighting and making up).

Also, did I mention YIDDISH? (I did. Just another reminder/plea...)

seeker

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 3:54 am
amother wrote:
Regarding "other adult figures", how about some guidance on who is a safe person?

Nope. Because there is no such thing as a "safe person" vs an "unsafe person." They both look the same until one does something unsafe. The only thing you can learn is safe behaviors vs unsafe behaviors and how to respond if someone does or tries to do something that is uncomfortable or unsafe. Applies equally to teachers, siblings, grandparents, etc - who would you consider a "safe person"? Even parents need checks and balances - parents SHOULD be safe people but you know should doesn't always happen IRL.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 8:35 am
amother wrote:
Regarding "other adult figures", how about some guidance on who is a safe person? How to tell whether a friendship is healthy or toxic, how to deal with sibling rivalry (not just a story about fighting and making up).

Also, did I mention YIDDISH? (I did. Just another reminder/plea...)

http://www.feldheim.com/private-places.html
Let's Stay Safe by Bracha Goetz (computer freezing, can't get you link)

Re friendships, Rivka Schonfeld has a few books, My Friend the Bully, My Friend the Troulemaker, and another the title of which I can't remember.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 9:09 am
PinkFridge wrote:

Re friendships, Rivka Schonfeld has a few books, My Friend the Bully, My Friend the Troulemaker, and another the title of which I can't remember.

Lets stay safe is the only such book that is available in yiddish. I bought it as soon as it was available.

The amazon link showed me some more by this author but I havent seen the translations yet.

BasMelech120

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 11:56 am
seeker wrote:
Nope. Because there is no such thing as a "safe person" vs an "unsafe person." They both look the same until one does something unsafe. The only thing you can learn is safe behaviors vs unsafe behaviors and how to respond if someone does or tries to do something that is uncomfortable or unsafe. Applies equally to teachers, siblings, grandparents, etc - who would you consider a "safe person"? Even parents need checks and balances - parents SHOULD be safe people but you know should doesn't always happen IRL.

Within a book, I would have the mother/father tell the child that just in case something happens, they should look for a Mommy with children to help them. Obviously, this is not applicable in every situation (for example, an unsafe Rebbe in cheder, abuse by a parent, etc.) but as a very basic guideline, this is what I would use.

In regards to books to help children deal with a history of abuse, that is a separate line that I am working on and will probably be very useful for therapists working with this group of children as well as for parents who are helping their child in this healing process.

BasMelech120

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 12:02 pm
tf wrote:
Pointers
1 - the "regular" family dynamics versus irregular (deceased parent r"l). A young child going through this condition must know that in order to validate feelings.
2- everyone has difficulties in life, if we don't see it, that doesn't mean it's not there.
3- ideas on how to bond with other adult supportive figures.
4- preparation for when other kids might use this as a means for delineating this kid.
5- validation of any emotional pain.

This question hit me really hard. I'm crying while I'm writing this and it takes away from what I remember doing with my students. When I actually did it, I had to prepare myself to prevent my emotions from breaking down on me. I did it in bits and pieces with a well thought out process. I can only wish you Hatslucha Rabba in this holy task.

Thank you so much for making the extra effort and providing additional pointers. Even as an adult, I know that working with this population and having to deal with those tragedies can be overwhelming. Imagine how much harder it is for the child... that is why I so much want those books to be out there and to know that their thoughts/feelings/emotions are valuable and important. Thanks again and Hatzlacha to you to!... Peace sign

sky

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 12:53 pm
PinkFridge wrote:

Talking about private places: http://www.feldheim.com/private-places.html
Is a great book about explaing to children the difference between good and bad touch and what to do.

Let's Stay Safe: http://www.artscroll.com/Produ.....DwCDQ
Good book about General safety and strangers

gold21

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 1:09 pm
I guess I would want to see books about struggles that regular kids go through all the time

When kids make fun of you, and how to deal with a bully

When friends fight, and how to be a good friend and be mevater

When school is hard, and how you should feel good about yourself even if youre struggling in school

When you have allergies, and how to deal with feeling different during lunch time at school

When youre having bad dreams and bad thoughts, and how to think good thoughts

When you move to a new neighborhood, and how to deal with all the changes

When your family setup is different than your friends families, and how Hashem gives you the perfect family for you

Etc...

sky

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 2:19 pm
I like this book: Avi's feelings
http://www.feldheim.com/storie......html

It goes through different feelings that Avi has - good and bad. (lonely, sad, loved, upset, scared, jealous, content, excited, etc).

I just feel there are too many words per picture to be for very young children. Its a great spring board for discussing feelings and how things make you feel.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 2:24 pm
sky wrote:
I like this book: Avi's feelings
http://www.feldheim.com/storie......html

It goes through different feelings that Avi has - good and bad. (lonely, sad, loved, upset, scared, jealous, content, excited, etc).

I just feel there are too many words per picture to be for very young children. Its a great spring board for discussing feelings and how things make you feel.

Have you seen http://www.feldheim.com/FlexPa......html ? Not sure if there are more words per page than the Avi (or Mommy) book.

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 2:28 pm
I want a book on why we do things.
my son wanted a book on why we wear tzitzis since it was hard for him after his upsherin. why do we wear a yarmulka.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 2:33 pm
amother wrote:
I want a book on why we do things.
my son wanted a book on why we wear tzitzis since it was hard for him after his upsherin. why do we wear a yarmulka.

This might work:
https://www.amazon.com/Look-Wh.....&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

https://www.amazon.com/Look-Wh.....13739

I suggest these because taamei hamitzvos are important at any age but might be too sophisticated. First, you need to create a feeling of love and security coming from Hashem and parents.

Last edited by PinkFridge on Wed, Jun 29 2016, 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 4:51 pm
seeker wrote:

Another seminary Rav found doing "things".....

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 5:06 pm
Regarding the safe person thing, it's not about a list of people who are safe. Rather the kinds of behaviors that a child should learn to recognize as being healthy or not.

Miriam Adahan's "palace guards" book talks about how to determine if a person is safe (emotionally). If you tell them they hurt you, they don't make you feel worse about it or put it on you, "you're too sensitive" etc.

That book is a bit too "dense" for younger kids but it has a lot of fascinating concepts about emotional regulation.

I wish there was a yiddish version... (sorry if this is annoying but if you think there is a dearth of childen's books for our kids, check the yiddish section. It's worse.)

And what is up with the comic book (oops I mean graphic novel) proliferation? It annoys me to no end. I get that at least they're reading something... but it still gets on my nerves.

Volunteer

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 5:19 pm
There's a series of board books by Fiona Watt called "That's Not My ___." Amazon link
For example, one title is "That's Not My Kitten," and each page has a textured area , and a line of text that says, "That's not my kitten, its ears are too soft [with a soft area]. That's not my kitten, its paws are too rough [with rough area]... its bell is too shiny, etc." The last page says, That's my kitten, its tummy is so fluffy [fluffy patch]."

There should be one that says "That's not my rabbi" with pages like, "That's not my rabbi, his knitted kippah is too rough; his black hat is too soft; his bekishe is too silky; his car is too shiny... etc, That's my rabbi, his beard is so fluffy."

Just a joke
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics