Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Please critique my Sheva Berachot menu
1  2  Next

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 1:31 am
This is for about 16 people, sit down. Planning to serve both main/sides plated.

Here's a tentative menu:
Already on individual plates: challah rolls, sparkling wine/grape juice
Already on tables (to be shared): crudité, hummus, fried aubergines, olives
Appetiser: mushroom filo parcel, kuku sabji (herb frittata), red/yellow pepper coulis
Main: stuffed chicken thighs, braised brisket, (quorn loaf for vegetarians)
Sides: sweet potato kugel, saffron rice, green beans with garlic
Desserts: chocolate mousse/orange semolina cake/fruit salad
Tea/coffee/herbal tea, liqueur for lChaim, after-dinner chocolate

I have a couple of questions I'd like to 'bounce' to experienced 7-berachot hostesses:

- Should I include fish item on appetiser?
- Should I serve soup between appetiser and main?
- For the main course, should I plate both chicken and beef (in small portions) or ask
guests if they prefer chicken or beef (is it too 'airline-y' for lack of better description)

UnFarvosNischt

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 1:38 am
I have no experience at all in making Sheva brachos but it seems like a lovely menu Smile

Raisin

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 1:50 am
It looks yum. If it is shabbos some people like fish.

Offer both meat and chicken I think.

MitzadSheini

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 2:32 am
Can I come??? Wink

Ice cream

!!! cake Peace sign

Raisin

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 2:45 am
soup is up to you. I find more then 2 starters before the main and no one can eat the main. Smile

JewishMother2

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 2:55 am
I've made 7 brachot a lot B"H. I think soup is too much to be honest. Remember some of these people are eating big meals every night for 7 nights and everyone is trying to impress with lots of food.

Re main course, I would ask what people want and serve them - it's much easier.

Lovely menu - mazaltov and enjoy yourself.

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 4:06 am
OK, consensus seems to be soup is out then. It won't be Shabbat but I'm still debating whether to do fish appetiser or not. Especially I'm now thinking of making individual Bastilla (Moroccan chicken pie in fillo) instead of stuffed chicken, and will need to something else for appetiser instead of mushroom fillo... Salmon glavlax vs teriyaki salmon skewers vs smoked salmon?

JewishMother2

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 4:39 am
I love salmon teryaki but depending on how much work you want to give yourself you may want to go with the smoked salmon.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 6:10 am
I agree that you don't need the soup. I don't think you really need salmon either, but it can be nice if you want to include it, but if you do, don't serve a whole slice. A few cubes on a skewer (or without a skewer) over some salad or something is adequate. The rest of the menu is lovely. Personally I would plate the main course with a small serving of both the chicken and beef. You could put additional platters of each on the table if you'd like. A plated meal looks much nicer; and it would be hard to serve while offering a choice.

naomi2

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 6:16 am
I think the menu is perfect as-is. no need for fish or soup. it sounds absolutely delicious!! people will be very full.
as far as the chicken and meat- I like the idea of both on one plate. maybe just the thigh or just the leg with one or two slices of meat. I dont like sweet potato kugel but that is a very personal preference.

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 7:26 am
Not shabbs? The menu is great.
I am not sure what night you are making but in general during sheva brachos the family and the bride and groom are tired. They are also stuffed from eating all day every day.
This sounds absolutely perfect. It also makes a change from the typical fish soup chicken so I wouldn't add anything.

Raisin

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 7:37 am
I'm also not a fan of kugel in general and even less so when its not shabbos. However if you have a few vegetarians they might appreciate it.

Why don't you do the chicken phyllo pie as a starter?

I think don't offer a choice of meats. If you serve both you can make 16 small portions of each. If you have a choice there is no way of knowing how many portions to make of each...People can always ask not be served the meat or chicken if they just want one type.

hotmom

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 7:52 am
I've made Sheva brachos. Experience has taught me that some people prefer soup and a main or a starter and soup vs. Starter and main. I would definitely add a soup but a light one. Like a mushroom or squash vs. a vegetable soup which can be heavier.

tichellady

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 8:37 am
Skip the fish and no need for kugel- I would do a raw fennel salad or Israeli salad or something else that is light since you already have lots of carbs in the meal- sounds delicious! You don't need soup either.

PAMOM

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 3:02 pm
Can I come?? Will there be leftovers?? And no to the soup. If you need a non-chicken appetizer because of the change in mains, consider gravlax. I prefer simpler appetizers if there's a more complex main.

pause

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 6:27 pm
No soup.
Put both chicken and meat on the plate, but really small portions of both.
I don't think you need fish either, but if you do, definitely go with Raisin's idea of a few cubes served over salad or on a skewer.
I would put a bowl of lettuce salad on the table, so that people can start eating real food (aside from the dips) before you begin serving.

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 7:20 am
OK, this is the revised--hopefully final--menu. The sheva berachot is on Sunday.

On the table to be shared: crudité, humus, israeli salad, fried aubergines, olives
Appetiser: salmon glavlax, with avocado slices and hearts of palm
Main: chicken bastille and brisket, both plated in small portions.
Sides: sweet potato, saffron rice, green beans
Desserts: choc mousse/orange semolina cake/fruit salad

Decided to drop soup--I won't have waitresses so will take too long to serve.

Added Israeli salad to the table, love the fennel salad but I don't have food processor so pain to shred them thinly with a knife (something I'd usually do but for smaller crowds). It's cultural difference but lettuce salad is something you serve with or after the main course here.

Still debating sweetpotato--either kugel or roasted, I want something that can be prepared in advance for freezing.

Now, do you think 3hours would be enough to serve everything including one speech and a dvar torah? Assume most people needs to work on Monday, so should I start 7:30pm with the couple arriving at 8pm?

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 8:08 am
I like the variety of colors you're serving. what's your centerpiece?

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 8:34 am
No centrepiece as it will get the dining table (plus card tables for extension) cluttered. Just plain white tablecloth, but with gold & silver beads/glitters, looking for oriental/paisley pattern serviettes (Sephardi hatan). I wanted to do teacandles floating on a dish thingie but got overruled by DH (too hot, fire risk).

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 8:41 am
Two solid colored napkins overlapping can be placed on the table in place of a runner.
For DD's kiddush I wanted to hang balloons from the ceiling like a candelabra. It looks neat and doesn't interrupt the table.
To add depth and and a fun presentation, have someone do some napkin folding. Simple fans or more creative stuff.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics