Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Bleach stains in laundry - but no bleach??

amother
White

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 11:48 am
A colored T shirt came out of the laundry yesterday with bleach stains on the collar, and a green skirt has orange bleach stains across the bottom today.
I don't remember using bleach in my machine for the past few weeks.
I may have used Oxi Clean powder in one of the loads, not sure.

What could have caused this? Is there any way to fix these things?
What do I do now? Clean my washing machine??

zaq

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 1:18 pm
OxiClean is a bleach, just milder than chlorine bleach. If the powder didn't dissolve fully, it may have deposited on some part of the machine and the clothes may have come into direct contact with it. (Do you put clothes in the machine and leave them there for a while before running the machine?) This can also happen if you throw the laundry into the machine and then pour on the OxiClean, or throw in the OxiClean, add the clothes, and only then fill the machine with water.

There is no way to remove bleach marks, which are not "stains" but areas from which the dye has been removed. You may be able to effect a rescue of sorts by coloring the bleached areas with a permanent marker in a matching color, or by dyeing the entire garment a darker shade of the same color. Failing that, you must resort to other measures such as:

--remove the collar and convert the shirt to a collarless one
--use wide trim or appliques to cover up the ruined bottom of the skirt. make it look "real' by using matching trim on the waistband.

I suggest running the machine, without laundry or with white laundry only, through a regular cycle with hot water to dissolve any remaining OxiClean residue. In future, fill the machine with water first, completely dissolve the OxiClean, and add the clothes last.

allcuteonesrtak

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 2:29 pm
I had this too! with my linen, and I didnt use oxi clean :/

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 2:53 pm
allcuteonesrtak wrote:
I had this too! with my linen, and I didnt use oxi clean :/

I've had it too. It could be the linen came in contact with a cleaning product on the way to the washing machine. It's upsetting. But I'm not the only one using the machine so I can't control everything around it and so I just have to be OK with it.
I try to keep bleach out of the house since I don't have control of items once they enter our home Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry