Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much does wedding cost boys side?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 3:27 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
I feel bad for these kids. How many of them know what their tastes will be like down the road, what works for them together? And how many of these mothers are buying their dream sets? Because for these prices I assume the furniture will last for a while and the kids will be stuck.

oh definitely.

thats y u see ads a few years later for furniture selling for way below cost.. after they develop their taste

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 3:28 pm
amother wrote:
local ads advertise starting from 13k per side..

In brooklyn area? who?

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 3:30 pm
local newspaper in ny

Fox

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 5:20 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
I feel bad for these kids. How many of them know what their tastes will be like down the road, what works for them together? And how many of these mothers are buying their dream sets? Because for these prices I assume the furniture will last for a while and the kids will be stuck.

100 percent.

I have "heimish" relatives -- Chassidish without belonging to a Chassidus -- who believe the kesubah isn't kosher unless it's accompanied by a high-quality dining room set, bedroom set, and seforim shranks. They went into debt to send each of their DDs off with that "minimum."

But young couples usually move at least a few times in the early years, and everyone's furniture has been banged up from the moves; doesn't fit in the houses they ended up in; or has taken a lot of abuse from little kids. None of it looks very appealing now.

I think the mentality is, "If you don't get it now, there's never going to be extra money for it." There is some truth to that, but I feel like my relatives had the worst of both worlds: the furniture didn't fit nicely into their first apartments, and now that they're in houses, it's not in such great shape.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics