Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Amidst the ocean or oceans

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 2:52 pm
Is the phrase 'amidst the ocean' correct?

Somehow using a plural feels more correct.

Is there a rule?

zaq

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 3:32 pm
From https://www.grammarly.com/answ.....mid/:

My dictionary defines amidst as "being in the middle of or surrounded by something". Among is defined as "mingling or intermixing with distinct or separate objects". Among is often used in relationship to people, or when distinguishing among choices. He walked among the gnarled oak trees or Amidst the storm tossed sea, the small ship made slow progress toward port.

However, "amidst" is somewhat archaic and usually considered mildly pretentious in the US of A. "Amid" would be the modern term, though I agree that it sounds a bit odd. then again, so do the grammatically correct "This is she" and "he is younger than I".

cm

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 3:47 pm
Depends how many oceans.

A continent, for example, surrounded by more than one ocean is "amidst the oceans." Better perhaps - "betwixt the oceans," if only two.

While zaq gave an excellent example to the contrary above, I agree with you that "amidst" usually sounds best with a plural. Someone treading water in the middle of the ocean may be described as "amidst the ocean waters." It's flowery rather than conversational language.

zaq

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 9:54 am
When in doubt, use a different word.

LiLIsraeli

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 9:57 am
I agree with zaq, I feel like this usage doesn't really work, neither with the singular "ocean" nor with the plural "oceans."

Can you give a little more context so we can help you come up with a usage that expresses what you want to say?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 10:28 am
That's great advice actually but it's not my writing.

There is some tzedakah cruise event being advertised and it just struck me as awkward. But it does have that dramatic ring, so as a marketing shtick I guess it works.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics