Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
"normal" 6 month old bedtime?
1  2  Next

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 1:01 am
I'd been feeding my baby around 6:30, then doing bedtime routine and putting to sleep by around 7:30. Now he all of a sudden is wide awake then. He will not fall asleep. The past few nights I have not been able to get him to fall asleep until 8:30/8:45ish. He is just wide awake and excited. Is it bad to put a baby to bed so late? I'm tempted to just let him play and not bother trying to get him to go to sleep earlier, but the books and articles I read talk about how an early bedtime is so critical....
Is this true or not? Anyone else have a baby who doesn't fall asleep until late(r)? Is 8:30 even considered late?

married

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 1:08 am
My baby is same age, he goes to sleep between 9 and 9:30
If I am lucky he sleeps till 4 and wakes up for bottle then wakes up at 8
Lately he has been getting up every 3 hours,

When you put him to sleep 7:30 what time does he wake up??

ahuva06

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 3:17 am
My 6 month old goes to sleep at about 10, wakes up 12 for a feed and then sleeps until about 6 or 7. I wish he would sleep more!!

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 3:32 am
My six month old goes to sleep at about 9:30, she wakes to nurse at around 1:00 and sometimes again at 6:00/6:30 then either sleeps more or wakes up with everyone at 7. She takes a bug nap from 9:30-12/1 when I'm home.

To make sure she goes to sleep by 9:30, I don't let her nap after 6:00. When she nurses before that I try to get a short nap in for her.

A normal early bedtime happens at about 1-1 1/2 years.

flyinghigh

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 4:24 am
My one year old has been having her 8:45-9:00 bedtime from when she was about 5 months old. She would wake up wither once or twice in middle of the night and wake up at 9 for the day.
By now she sleeps thru the night and wakes up between 8 and 9.
same schedule same bedtime routine every night and this has worked out wonderfully.

Stars

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 7:11 am
Bedtime happens at around the age of one. Until then don't stress about it.

Smile1234

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 7:58 am
I'll chime in - my 8 month old goes to sleep when I do (more like, I go to sleep when she does) which is usually around 1.

sky

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 8:43 am
my 4 1/2 month old is ready for bed between 8-8:30 every night. If I don't put her in then she gets very fussy. I find if I get her in at the right time we have a much better night. She has been doing this for a month already.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 8:45 am
My 6 month old slept from 6:30-6:30.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 8:54 am
At that age, timing doesn't matter so much as getting the right amount. Babies need a certain amount of sleep every day between night time and day time naps (I forget the number for 6 months). As long as they're getting the recommended amount (give or take an hour) they don't require a hard and fast bed time, though whatever time it is should be about the same every day. In toddler years (starting sometime around 1-1.5 years) is when an early bedtime becomes critical.

losingweight

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 9:06 am
Please let the baby decide her bedtime. You enjoy the time that she's awake without any other kids around. I find my baby the cutest in the evening. Eventually she'll cut back on her naps and the bedtime will get earlier and scheduled. My babies go to sleep between ten and eleven. If you try to be rigid about bedtime at this age, you will both become nervous.

sky

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 9:16 am
I found with all my babies that when they went to sleep earlier they were happier in general. I don't think it is a bad thing. My daughter is in her best moods in the morning. If we are both well rested then 6:30 am can be a beautiful bonding time.

greenfire

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 2:55 pm
babies make their own schedules ... especially because they take naps & have middle of the night feedings

you can sleep train a baby after they are 12 months aka 1 year old

pointyshoes

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 3:04 pm
I dont know why everyone's saying not to bother with bedtime. My babies are all trained that after 6:30 they're in their room and its dark.
I have heard them playing and babbling sometimes and then they put themselves to sleep a couple minutes later. Anytime they cry I go in and comfort but I really think the dark/whispers/nighttime feel are very important for teaching a schedule.
8:30 is fine but make sure you stick to it. Put to sleep at 8:30 every single night.
The most important thing here is the schedule of it, not exactly how the schedule is laid out.
I've personally never used these but I've heard there's great books on sleep training out there. Maybe someone with more experience in that area can recommend one

gold21

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 3:10 pm
pointyshoes wrote:
I dont know why everyone's saying not to bother with bedtime. My babies are all trained that after 6:30 they're in their room and its dark.
I have heard them playing and babbling sometimes and then they put themselves to sleep a couple minutes later. Anytime they cry I go in and comfort but I really think the dark/whispers/nighttime feel are very important for teaching a schedule.
8:30 is fine but make sure you stick to it. Put to sleep at 8:30 every single night.
The most important thing here is the schedule of it, not exactly how the schedule is laid out.
I've personally never used these but I've heard there's great books on sleep training out there. Maybe someone with more experience in that area can recommend one

6:30 is early. Do they get up early?

pointyshoes

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 3:17 pm
gold21 wrote:

Usually wake up once or twice before midnight for food. Then wake up again at 4ish for more food. Then sleep till 8- 8:15am

pesek zman

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 3:34 pm
gold21 wrote:

I put mine to sleep at that time too. I moved it to 7pm at 14 months. She's up around 6:30-7, which works best for my (work) schedule. Plus I like having time at night after she goes to sleep to get things done (cooking, household chores etc)

mille

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 3:40 pm
pointyshoes wrote:

Agreed with all of this. Preciouslittlesleep.com is a GREAT website about all things infant sleep related. And I HAVE read a few sleep training books, and the two big takeaways are: consistency (pick a method, STICK TO IT, doesn't matter which method you pick as long as you are consistent) and sleep begets sleep. A baby that doesn't go to bed until very late or wakes up very early is probably WAY overtired due to lack of naps or lack of an appropriate bedtime. Dr. Weissbluth in Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child talks a LOT about "sleep debt" and how babies need a lot of sleep, and we chronically keep them awake too long and this causes the most dysfunction.

Also: https://www.preciouslittleslee.....long/

mha3484

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 3:45 pm
I did not start with a bed time until I moved DS into the crib in his brother's room which was around 8 months. After the older is asleep the younger goes. The older is a much heavier sleeper.

pointyshoes

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 3:49 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I did not start with a bed time until I moved DS into the crib in his brother's room which was around 8 months. After the older is asleep the younger goes. The older is a much heavier sleeper.

I'm curious here: did you find it difficult to get DS into a good bedtime routine because he already had habits/was a lot older?
Also what did u do with ds#1?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics