Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Bringing 'peyos' back
1  2  3  Next

greenfire

Post Sun, Jul 03 2016, 11:41 am
so I decided to take my green hair one step further into FUN and re-create the 'peyos' look of the early 70's with half pony & well my 'peyos' are green so my curls are green

someone told me that when people try to look different it's a sign that they are mentally ill ... vying for attention

why can't a person just look however they want ~ no different than say wearing all black or purple flowers or polka dotted clothing ?!

Stars

Post Sun, Jul 03 2016, 12:05 pm
Quote:
someone told me that when people try to look different it's a sign that they are mentally ill ... vying for attention

What if it's a sign of them being very mentally stable? They are comfortable enough in their own skin not to care what everyone else will think..

Anyway we love you just the way you are

imasoftov

Post Sun, Jul 03 2016, 12:31 pm
I'd ask that "someone" where they studied psychology.

greenfire

Post Sun, Jul 03 2016, 12:38 pm
Stars wrote:
What if it's a sign of them being very mentally stable? They are comfortable enough in their own skin not to care what everyone else will think..

Anyway we love you just the way you are

interestingly I mentioned this is me & I own it & asked her if she would rather me not come to say hi

studying_torah

Post Sun, Jul 03 2016, 1:05 pm
That was really not nice of her to say! You have beautiful hair, and good for you that you're comfortable enough to wear it how you like!
Rock those curls, greenie!

centurion

Post Sun, Jul 03 2016, 1:13 pm

Not mocking, it's a cute hairstyle and it reminded me of this.

greenfire

Post Sun, Jul 03 2016, 1:13 pm
funny enough I went into a seforim store in crown heights to buy some tehillims & the man asked me if I am as eccentric as my father was & I am like no way - why ... he said 'um your green hair' ... oops I forget it's there really

do people walk around all day & expect people to ogle about what they are wearing

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Jul 03 2016, 1:18 pm
Nah everyone's just jealous cuz your hair looks so awesome.

Okay, maybe I'm projecting. Cause I totally am jealous of your rocking hair. Wink

gold21

Post Sun, Jul 03 2016, 2:31 pm
greenfire wrote:
funny enough I went into a seforim store in crown heights to buy some tehillims & the man asked me if I am as eccentric as my father was & I am like no way - why ... he said 'um your green hair' ... oops I forget it's there really

do people walk around all day & expect people to ogle about what they are wearing

Lol, I mean, if I saw someone with green hair, I would definitely look twice

Is that not p.c. to say?

I think its cool that you rock your own style. I may look twice if I see you though, just cuz its unusual and unexpected! Still cool though Tongue Out

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Jul 03 2016, 4:21 pm
I went out in a ponytail today, but I didnt post it on imamother for all to hear about

when you chose your hairstyle, you made a huge deal about it on imamother

it does seem that you are trying to get attention by the hairstyle, no?

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Jul 03 2016, 4:27 pm
amother wrote:
I went out in a ponytail today, but I didnt post it on imamother for all to hear about.

Uh you actually did, just now.

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Jul 03 2016, 4:31 pm
amother wrote:
Uh you actually did, just now.

lol true true

tf

Post Sun, Jul 03 2016, 5:32 pm
I don't think I'm jealous of the green hair because I don't like to be different enough for people to turn around to have another look at me, but I am jealous of the freedom to do WHATEVER you want, even out on the street for everyone to see.

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Jul 03 2016, 5:54 pm
With many kids that go OTD/start being rebellious (or the opposite, when someone is becoming frum or becoming "classy"), the first thing to go is the hair. There is something about hair that reflect's your inner world. I don't think green hair is intrinsically a problem. It is not my style, and even if I didn't care about what the world thought (I do) I still wouldn't choose green. In our community there is a tremendous pressure to fit in for no reason at all. It is restrictive and excessive, but part of being here and gaining the good that comes out of it means sucking it up and walking the walk. You are lucky if you can live in a place that accepts you for who you are, along with others and their idiosyncrasies. I guess we all need to find our balance of feelings free to express ourselves but still be part of a group--even if that means finding a different group. I recently moved from Israel to USA, and I am finding I can BREATHE so much easier being able to "show myself to the world" without feeling like a strange creature. And I wear sweaters, black skirts, and tichels. Not all that eccentric. My tichels mean to me: I am a spiritual and artistic person (where I lived in Israel, only snoods or shaitles allowed)
Does your workplace not have any issues with your hair?
What does your green hair mean to you? Just interested, not judgmental.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Jul 03 2016, 6:02 pm
Indigo, that's funny, I had the exact opposite experience. I was so, so stifled in the USA, and in Israel, I was able to breathe and be myself and just revel in expressing myself with all the color and originality I pleased!

I think a lot of it has to do with which neighborhoods and circles you're in by both...

tf

Post Sun, Jul 03 2016, 6:32 pm
Tangerine and indigo, it might just be that when one changes location, there's also a change in people with whom to interact. The new set of people don't know what you were like in the previous place, so they may think that the new you is really what you've been up until now. So they accept you as such. Would it be the same people in both places, there definitely would be comments.

greenfire

Post Mon, Jul 04 2016, 10:18 am
gold21 wrote:
Lol, I mean, if I saw someone with green hair, I would definitely look twice

Is that not p.c. to say?

I think its cool that you rock your own style. I may look twice if I see you though, just cuz its unusual and unexpected! Still cool though Tongue Out

that is totally fine - because I don't expect people to be blind and not comment if they wish ... it's all within a normal realm

greenfire

Post Mon, Jul 04 2016, 10:20 am
amother wrote:
I went out in a ponytail today, but I didnt post it on imamother for all to hear about

when you chose your hairstyle, you made a huge deal about it on imamother

it does seem that you are trying to get attention by the hairstyle, no?

I'm just sharing my FUN ...

greenfire

Post Mon, Jul 04 2016, 10:52 am
amother wrote:
With many kids that go OTD/start being rebellious (or the opposite, when someone is becoming frum or becoming "classy"), the first thing to go is the hair. There is something about hair that reflect's your inner world. I don't think green hair is intrinsically a problem. It is not my style, and even if I didn't care about what the world thought (I do) I still wouldn't choose green. In our community there is a tremendous pressure to fit in for no reason at all. It is restrictive and excessive, but part of being here and gaining the good that comes out of it means sucking it up and walking the walk. You are lucky if you can live in a place that accepts you for who you are, along with others and their idiosyncrasies. I guess we all need to find our balance of feelings free to express ourselves but still be part of a group--even if that means finding a different group. I recently moved from Israel to USA, and I am finding I can BREATHE so much easier being able to "show myself to the world" without feeling like a strange creature. And I wear sweaters, black skirts, and tichels. Not all that eccentric. My tichels mean to me: I am a spiritual and artistic person (where I lived in Israel, only snoods or shaitles allowed)
Does your workplace not have any issues with your hair?
What does your green hair mean to you? Just interested, not judgmental.

there's a lot to respond here ... for starters the world doesn't accept me ever since I got divorced & my daughter jumped out a window - so there's that thought ... oh & they didn't accept me before as my mother is a geyores & my father an eccentric notorious being ...

now here's the shocker - I keep kosher, go to shul almost every shabbos since I'm 10 years old, daven, help out anybody in need as my form of tzedaka to the world ... but I do not answer to people - should my entire life be based on how humans treat others, specifically jews who want you to fit into a certain little 'box' or they shun you, as they molest, demean, hurt & judge you, I would not be frum at all ...

תהלים קי"ט - צ"ב
לוּלֵי תוֹרָתְךָ שַׁעֲשֻׁעָי, אָז אָבַדְתִּי בְעָנְיִי

Were it not for your Torah in which I was engrossed, I would have perished in my affliction.

my mitzvos do not count less because I have green hair

the only one I live for is god & god alone

the sun is yellow + the sky is blue = the earth is green, we learn kabbalistically that our goal as Hashem's divine creation is to bring heaven down to earth

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jul 04 2016, 12:51 pm
Greenie, you're my kind of people. Hug

This is a very timely post for me, because tonight I'm dying DD's hair PURPLE! She's survived her first year in Israel, it's summer, and she deserves it. She worked really hard this year, and I'm so proud of her. She's wanted this for a very long time, and it makes me really happy that I get to be the one to dye her hair for her.

We're doing dark purple at the tips, going ombre about halfway up. That way as her hair grows out, we can trim off the color when school starts again next year. (*sigh* back to "normal")

I miss my crazy hair colors, but I have 100 different tichels to make up for it. Very Happy (half of them are purple)
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics