Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Someone has stuff by us that dh wants out...
1  2  Next

miriamnechama

Post Wed, Aug 15 2007, 6:26 am
I'm not sure if this belongs here but about 4 1/2 years ago when I was just after birth this landy caem to me asking if she can leave somecases in our storage for about 6 months.. well dh was there and we were both pressured to get ready for a bris the next day and it was erev pesach that we said yes. now 6 months has turned into4 1/2 years and dh has had enough and wants her stuff out.

She pays be 5 dollars a month and we have no contract.

the problem is is that she refuses to give us any contact number and I'm getting suspicious. then she came on aliya from the us and she'sbeen moving around alot. we have no way to contact her. she claims that she is a lawyer and has a bour 3 cell phonesbut she tells us that she has none.

she seems the type that she is really scared thatsomeone will tamper with her stuff and also we use the room as an office and a friend of dh also used it.. but then she tells me that there is this guiy who she cl;aims is lubab from c.h. called benjam klein that does terrible things and dresses like a woman, goes through her stufff and lat week she toldme that he harrased me. she also has other crazy stories that she tells that I don't believe in...

I don't believe her stories anymore and dh told me that when she next calls always from a private noor public phone booth that she has 1 week to get her stuff out or it's going hefkar. I told her and she started with her stories againa nd wants one months. I don't believe her anymore... she coming today and I really don't know what to do. she also leaves toons of garbage there that dh doesn't approve of.

any suggestions what I should do?? I want herout my life, and her stuff out.... the fact that she claims is a lawyer makes things harder and both me and dh regret letting her leave her stuff... we didn't know it'll be this long... however enough is enough and I want her stuff out... what do I do??

Mimisinger

Post Wed, Aug 15 2007, 6:28 am
Tell her that her five dollars is up and it's time to move on!

catonmylap

Post Wed, Aug 15 2007, 6:46 am
You just have to be tough about it, it's the only way.

Personally dh and I suck at that. We still have stuff at our house that has not been picked. Fortunately, one we got permission to keep and the other is very small...but we weren't paid anything for storage.

We are both lazy and we hate being mean, so we end up "taking stuff" or in Israel "being friars". I recently had to turn away a potential renter for our apartment since we were both getting such "bad" vibes, and I felt so mean and bad about it.

I remember a "crazy lady" like that who wanted to leave her stuff at the shul when dh was Rabbi. I can't remember how it ended though. At least this one has been paying you something.

miriamnechama

Post Wed, Aug 15 2007, 6:56 am
maybe it's the same crazy lady... she has 3 duffel bags by us.my sister also had stuff but I worked out with her what she wants and what I keep. but the crazy is such a freak, she's so scared of people going through her stuff, nonsense and makes accusations, prob is that we use itr as an office. dh works for radio breslov and he and staff work there plus we had a friend woirking there at one point. and shge freaks out whe she sees them there??

shalhevet

Post Wed, Aug 15 2007, 7:33 am
Phone a rav before she comes and ask what you are allowed to do. Then tell her exactly what the rav said and stick with it. What's the difference if she's a lawyer? Is she going to take you to court for not keeping her stuff in YOUR apartment? What legal right does she have in your property? Did you sign a contract to be a storage room for ever more? Ask a rav if you're allowed to tell her that if she doesn't take her property away that moment it is hefker and you will put it out in the street, or if you have to give her a few days to take it away before it will be hefker.

Don't miss the chance to tell her, because I know it is a halachic problem if you haven't told someone to remove their property. We had a case in our building of property left in the miklat (shelter) by someone who lived there several years ago. Meanwhile he has moved to America and no-one knows his number. Our rav told us that you can't throw out his stuff without asking him to take it away.

miriamnechama

Post Wed, Aug 15 2007, 7:57 am
shalhevet number 1 she's not religious so I don't know how much it'll help.

2 I told her when she called that when she comes her stuff goes out and she started with her stories and then because I had to leave cut the line, she calls back saying she wants one months. dh wont hear of it she had more than 4 years to find another place or take hers tuff out, why should I give her another month?? she never leaves us contact info rather doesn't want to and I'm getting suspicious that this whole thing is becoming fishy....

shalhevet

Post Wed, Aug 15 2007, 8:11 am
It doesn't matter that she isn't religious. She doesn't have to listen to the rav. You do. If you're allowed to tell her to take her stuff or it's immediately hefker, just pick it up and put it on the pavement. If the rav tells you you have to give her some time, so pick it up at the end of that time and put it on the sidewalk.

It's your apartment, not hers. (Which she seems to have forgotten...)

Anyway, apart from not wanting to store her stuff, have you thought about the legal consequences? What if she has something illegal there, and you have no contact info for her, and someone finds it?

Just decide that you don't care what story she has. I am quite sure that if you let her leave it there for one more month, she will have another story in another month. Actually if I were you, I would stop taking the money, because it gives both you and her the feeling that she is doing you a favour...

miriamnechama

Post Wed, Aug 15 2007, 8:30 am
actually I'm getting suspicious that there might be somethingillegal... al her cases are padlocked!! also she might take legal action.. then what do I do??

and what about the money she wants to give me for the past 4 months? should I take it?? and frm this month stop taking money??

my neighbour told me to tell her that the machsan is sold what will that help??

greenfire

Post Wed, Aug 15 2007, 8:47 am
you said she was coming today ... have her stuff outside waiting for her to take ... she may not come in - don't let her come in ...beginning and end ...

shalhevet

Post Wed, Aug 15 2007, 9:27 am
miriamnechama wrote:
actually I'm getting suspicious that there might be somethingillegal... al her cases are padlocked!! also she might take legal action.. then what do I do??

and what about the money she wants to give me for the past 4 months? should I take it?? and frm this month stop taking money??

my neighbour told me to tell her that the machsan is sold what will that help??

I still don't get what legal action she can possibly take. You said you didn't sign a contract with her and you want her to take her stuff away from your property. I would imagine that legally you can just throw her stuff out if you've asked her to remove it. I just am not sure if halachically you need to give her time. Did you phone a rav?

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Aug 15 2007, 9:33 am
It sounds like you're dealing with a con-artist. I don't believe that she's a lawyer.

miriamnechama

Post Wed, Aug 15 2007, 9:37 am
not yet I'll get him later in the evening. in the meantime she hasn't turned up and I'm going to a clas later. so before I leave I'll call. the rov usually rests between 2 and 4. I'll call soon.

happyhub

Post Wed, Aug 15 2007, 9:40 am
I agree that you should have her stuff waiting for her outside with a note telling her to find another location for them and not to contact you again and to keep her money. its very odd for someone to keep things by you for that long, it sounds kinda fishy

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Aug 15 2007, 9:52 am
Oh, wow, I would hate that. do you hve a friend to help you out in the meantime?

amother

Post Wed, Aug 15 2007, 10:01 am
I want to tell you a peice of advice. Your dh should be waiting for her that day, when he sees her come he should bring her stuff out and put it in her car or hand it to her and just say take care, then go back inside. You and your children should be not home.

greenfire

Post Wed, Aug 15 2007, 12:08 pm
you can't always control all the details ... and don't warn her ... 4 1/2 years and your phone conversations were plenty of time ... just leave her stuff out or hand them to her ... the end ... really ... why torture yourself ...

miriamnechama

Post Mon, Aug 27 2007, 8:40 am
here's the ending. she came when I was out... and gave the money to my neighbour. she knows she has one month to get her stuf, it's too heavy for me to move or I'll just have to wait for dh to deal with it.

She still has her stories and still complains even to my neighbour that people stalk her all the time, well she's crazy and my neighbour and I decided that enough is enough and if she calls again to tell her we are not interested in her stories, she should take her stuff or the police or iriya will take it.

miriamnechama

Post Sun, Feb 17 2008, 8:19 am
now it's february and have heard nothing from her.. what do I do??

amother

Post Sun, Feb 17 2008, 8:23 am
You gave her ONE month HOW many months ago??? I would have put it outside for her many months ago!!! call her (if you have her #) and leave her a message or tell her you are putting it outside, as per your last conversation. If she complains you tell her you warned her, and that was about 1/2 yr ago. You were very generous.

shalhevet

Post Sun, Feb 17 2008, 8:34 am
Did you ask a rav? Maybe you can just throw it out. Ask now.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette