Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Touro OT School Bayshore vs Manhattan

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Jul 05 2016, 8:51 pm
Any input please on the advantages or disadvantages of Touro OT School in Manhattan vs Bayshore?

Clientele?
Education?
Transportation?
Professors?
Better Crowd for a frum girl?

TY

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Jul 05 2016, 9:40 pm
I could tell you the benefits of Manhattan:
Starts midyear, which is about how long it should take to do your prerequisite courses.
No cadaver dissections
More frum crowd
Easily accessible by train (I'm not sure bay shore is, you might have to drive. )

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 7:39 am
anyone else?

esther11

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 9:17 am
I went to Manhattan OT at the same time as friends were in bay shore and here's what I found to be:
Manhattan has a more frum/Jewish crowd but bay shore always has a handful of frum also. I graduated a couple years ago from Manhattan and 75% of my class was frum, but since then they have been accepting fewer frum girls I think so the ratio is not as large
Manhattan is therefore more understanding of getting married and having kids while in the program, and they do not have classes on chol hamoed (while bay shore does)
The two schools have the same exact curriculum, but mostly different teachers (a few overlap). I got the feeling that bay shore has slightly better teachers and is more organized (but I'm not sure)
Bay shore has the cadaver lab, Manhattan goes 1-2 times to their lab to use it
Manhattan has public transportation, bay shoe has a way nicer and bigger campus

I think I covered most areas...?

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 11:28 am
I went to Touro's Bayshore program. Around half the class were frum girls/women. Manhattan is definitely easier to get to with public transportation if coming from NYC. Bayshore you have to drive. I was lucky and there were several other students who lived in the same area as me so we were able to carpool, which worked out really nicely. As far as being understanding about getting married, having babies etc. I can tell you that I gave birth twice while going through the program and both times they were very nice/understanding. They even worked with me to coordinate my fieldwork (letting me go twice a week instead of once a week so I could finish before my baby was born). Several other students had babies during the course of the program and none of them were given any problems. Some of the teachers are shared but most are different so I'm not really sure how it compares to Manhattan in terms of the difficulty of the classes but the curriculums are the same as far as I know.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children