Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
People that weren't organized and now are
1  2  Next

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 1:03 am
My whole life I wasn't an organized and neat person. I always wanted to be but it didn't work for me. I always have too much stuff in my house and it's hard for me to get rid of things. I'm married for over 20 years and we are moving into a new house. I so much want to start off new and be neat and clean and organized but I am so scared I won't be able to keep it up. It really bothers my dh that everything is all over the place all the time and I know it would be better for my kids if everything was in order . I want advice from people who were in the same situation as me and are able to keep an organized and neat and clean house now and also different ideas that people have to keep the house nice.
Thanx

lefty1

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 1:10 am
I just read The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up. It is a little extreme but I recommend it.

tichellady

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 1:12 am
I am like you. Next time I move I am going to hire a professional organizer. I know I need help from a professional! Good luck!

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 1:25 am
Thanks I'm going to check out the book. I actually thought of hiring a professional organizer but I'm scared that after she organizes I won't be able to keep it up. My husband thinks I should go to someone to teach me how to organize and keep to a schedule. I feel that I will be able to do it myself if I have ideas from other people.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 2:23 am
A move is a great time for organizing! We also made a midlife move. I didn't take anything along unless I knew exactly where I was going to put it in the new house. Giving away lots of stuff also meant I didn't have to pay to move it. For me that was a helpful way to frame the issue. It's hard to justify getting rid of something, but when I thought in terms of paying to ship it, I realized that I could do without. It's been a few years now, and it's working.

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 3:55 am
I'm also not organized so I will be watching this.

choco1

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 4:57 am
Good luck with the move!

Get someone to help you! Hire someone if you have to who will TEACH you the tricks. That is what I'm doing right now and so far has been life changing! She taught me everything from where to put what, how to wash toys in the best easiest way, even better way to fold clothes... Also helped me get rid of things (when you have someone else there it's easier Smile the bottom line is someone that will teach you the art... (Without making you feel stupid...) I hope it all works out for you.. (Also know that being neat and organized is hard work.. But feels amazing!)
Good Luck!

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 4:39 pm
I found "A Slob Comes Clean" blog very helpful. Especially the Figuring Myself Out category (http://www.aslobcomesclean.com/figuring-myself-out/)

Can't say I'm super-organized now, but definitely much better than before!

Also, Rivka Caroline's book "From Frazzled to Focused" (by a frum mom) was very helpful in working out the thought processes behind organized.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 5:18 pm
Maintaining a home does not come naturally to me. While I have learned some awesome skills along the way through trial and error, and while I try to keep to certain schedules and guidelines, I admit that it's a struggle for me. I have my ups and downs. And I put some boundaries in place to help me. But I will always struggle with this so I understand you.

I think it would be very beneficial to hire someone who can help you purge items before you move, see what your lifestyle is like and see what sort of items you are moving with, so she can set up your new closets and all storage spaces in advance in preparation for your items arriving. This way a system tailor made for your lifestyle will be already set up for you and make unpacking easier. Everything will have its place and be easier to keep neat and she will teach you how to maintain it properly.

Henna12

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 5:50 pm
The best advice is to get rid of stuff before you move- if you have lots of clutter it is almost impossible to stay organized! Only keep what you really need and use. I regularly go through my things and make bags to donate.

Another tip- when you are unpacking, put things away strategically, not logically. For example - my linen closet is the most accessible closet in the house, but I don't use my spare linen and towels often, so I keep those in the basement- the linen closet I use to store the things I need most frequently- like extra foil pans, paper goods, etc.

Simple1

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 6:04 pm
I find it helpful to keep things sorted all the time. Even if you are not ready to fully clean up or put away, you can keep them in grouped piles, so you'll always know where it is, and hopefully when you get to it, it will be easier to handle. For example, all papers in one place, all footwear, all books, etc. Also when you do this, it's easier to see what you have extra of, so you can get rid of things you don't need.

You can also leave things that go upstairs at the steps (if you have two floors) and never go up empty handed.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 6:56 pm
Thank you everyone you are all so helpful and encouraging!

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 7:42 pm
Oh, dear. My DH just told me that his cousins (whom I adore) will be staying at our place in a couple of weeks while we are away. They are in town for a wedding. I am happy to give them comfortable place to stay but mortified that my house is pretty disorganized.

I don't even know where to start. This is a couple whose house is hyper organized and spotless 100% of the time.

So good luck to you - we are in the same boat!!!

justforfun87

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 8:28 pm
I have a tendency to want to hoard things. I also happen to have gotten a lot of hand me downs. The thought of throwing things out gets me all worked up. I found that knowing my stuff is going to help someone else it is much easier to get rid of. Find a Jewish organization or even a family that could use the clothing. It is so much easier to get rid of when you know someone else is benefiting. I get rid of books and children clothes this way. In terms of papers, just don't!! I switched all my accounts to online billing so I rarely get mail. Cancel all magazine subscriptions. I sort through my mail right when I get home. Most things can be found online. Therefore I throw out or never collect in the first place all instruction manuals, flyers etc. I stopped taking people's hand me downs/toys cause it is so much easier to say no before you see the stuff. These are some of my tricks.

trixx

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 11:05 pm
Read Marie kondo s book the life changing magic of tidying up. It teaches you how to get rid of things. 80% of the stuff you keep having to "organize" can be thrown out. It's changed my whole mindset.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 5:21 am
I just got the "home routines" app. It looks promising. I believe it's based off of flylady.net

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 7:45 am
trix- just wondering did you really throw out a lot of old photos, old school papers... I'm seriously considering doing that...

kollel wife

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 12:28 pm
Even if you're not moving yet - you can start one room at a time.

Maybe start with the kitchen. Usually we accumulate containers, baking pans, utensils, even pots that we don't like or don't use. Try to get rid of as many of these as you can.

Other things are lots of books (many siddurim from kids years in school), books you got in the mail for free. Try to work on this next.

Then clothing - organize and put in containers things you'll want to save and hand down. And of course label these containers.

Toys - try to get rid of all junk. Try to save what good and usable. Try to end up with only one miscellaneous toy bucket for small things with no place, that you'll want keep.

Then they'll be tons of odds and ends from the kids rooms, kitchen, living/room dining room. You can work on this as you do each room, really.

Think about what storage devices might help you to stay organized once you've moved. Toy closets, containers. Same with pantry, toiletries, whatever you can think of.

Hope this was helpful.

baby12x

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 3:08 pm
Iymnok wrote:
I just got the "home routines" app. It looks promising. I believe it's based off of flylady.net

Flylady is great!! Read "sink reflection" which is her book. It's a book for people who are not naturally organized

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 3:08 pm
Thank you very helpful everyone! I'm always so amazied at how people Take time to help people on this site help people that they never met and never will meet.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics