Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Bathroom always smells

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 12:25 pm
Very soon after I clean it, it smells from urine. I don't have little boys any more. I use comet and try to clean well everywhere.

Any suggestions?

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 12:32 pm
Increase the air circulation. Open the window if there is one. Install a fan that vents to the outside.

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 12:40 pm
If u have mats on the floor wash them

skyblue1

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 2:29 pm
Use watered down bleach/economica on the outside of the toilet, the toilet seat, the floor and even the walls if they do not look clean. Do it when the kids aren't around , wear gloves and work with the window open.

pinkbubbles

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 3:02 pm
I have two boys. They don't always remember to aim, or flush. SO gross.

Bleach every day.

Spray the toilet seat, lid, inside the bowl, around the outside of the bowl, the wall behind/around it, the floor area, and the brush holder.

Get bleach wipes to make it easier (the multi cleaning wipes without bleach do nothing), but I'd do a full proper clean with spray and paper towels 1-2 times a week.

Take off the toilet seat once a month and clean the hinge area where urine collects.

I once found pee in the garbage bag, so now the garbage holder thing gets bleached often too.

Good luck

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 5:56 pm
At the hardware store, you can get mesh bags of activated charcoal. They are used in basements, to control mold and mildew smells, and to absorb humidity. Hang one from the ceiling. Once a week or so, take it down and leave it in direct sunlight for several hours (turn over once, to get both sides.) The sunlight will reactivate the charcoal, and it will be ready to use again. One bag can be reused for at least 6 months or so.

Of course it doesn't replace cleaning, but it will help control the odor in between cleanings, and will also help with the bleach smell.

Charcoal has no scent of it's own, and is completely non toxic.

bluebird

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 6:40 pm
Has any urine seeped into the walls, baseboards, or floor? You may need to clean those things or replace them.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 9:18 pm
Floor tiles where the grout has not been sealed will absorb urine.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry